• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 10:18 am
[OP]
Jan 1, 2021
238 posts
876 upvotes

porting over cellphone number

My question is this

my current phone plan expires 1 week, I'm thinking about getting a new plan (new phone with another provider) since there is a promo going on.

Can I port over my old phone number once the plan expires into this new plan and replace the phone number given to me on the new plan?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16277 posts
21276 upvotes
Toronto
chrisli779 wrote: My question is this

my current phone plan expires 1 week, I'm thinking about getting a new plan (new phone with another provider) since there is a promo going on.

Can I port over my old phone number once the plan expires into this new plan and replace the phone number given to me on the new plan?
You have to port your old phone number before your current phone plan expires

When you sign up the new provider, you will get a new number. When you request the number transfer with the new provider, they will replace the temporary number with your old number.

Switch Providers and Keep your Number
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19059 posts
6427 upvotes
Toronto
If your plan reverts to month-to-month when the current plan expires, you can port your number after the expiry date. You can either port your number when activating a new plan with a temporary number or you can port your number after activating a new plan. If you port after getting a temporary number, make sure there are no fees involved in porting.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4799 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, it's generally a good idea to not port immediately when switching providers. Sign up for the new providers' promo, put their SIM card into your phone and try it around for a few days in your usual places to make sure you're happy with reception, etc. Then contact your new provider to port.

If you port at the same time as signing up, then it'll be a huge hassle if you're not happy with your new service.