Entrepreneurship & Small Business

POS system - what do you recommend?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2015 12:20 am
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 11, 2013
1 posts

POS system - what do you recommend?

We have both a website and a Brick and Mortar. We have looked into a few retail POS systems. However many don't handle the ability to remove one tax (for status cards) or have very simple functions. Some don't even have a simple end of day summary. It would be nice to have the POS integrate inventory with our present website, (it is a good size - www.vapemate.com) that is hosted on 3dCart.

Would like it to integrate with 3dcart without spending 5K to have it happen.
Would like it to integrate with a book keeping solution (Quick books or Sage)

AND if none of the options above are viable, would just like a solid POS system. User friendly, programmable, and not too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
16 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2013
517 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
Check OPENERP. It is a great piece of Enterprise Resource Planning software, which is free if you host it locally.

I use it as an online portal for customers, invoicing, warehouse managment, employee managment aso.

They have their own POS solution. Never worked with it and don't know how good it is.

Add a touch screen monitor and you are good to go.

Open a free test account and use their trial to look at the software and the pos plug in.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1921 posts
215 upvotes
Have you tried Square or Shopify POS ?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 10, 2004
646 posts
3 upvotes
Aurora
Take a look at MICROS
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 30, 2013
20 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
This is a good thread, I just wanted to keep it going....have you come up with an ideal solution CNWorks?

I have found that there are alot out there that nearly do what you want, but sometimes to increase productivity for your exact circumstances there may not be an exact solution and you may need to pay someone to customize some software.

I did this with another business of mine, I had software built that pulls data out of my Accounting system on customers and the products they have bought over the last 12 months. It then emails them an order form automatically with their past 12 months history so they can easily re-order. This made a big difference and saves countless hours a week. So it was worth it.
Sometimes you just have to add up the cost versus the gain.

Regards
John
Owner at Core List Canada - Supplier of the Canadian Business Database and Industry specific Business Lists
Member
Oct 5, 2009
469 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
see my post here: help-find-pos-system-retail-953226/#post17876545

to integrate with 3dcart and quickbook you'll likely have to use an inventory or bridge system... bizelo does integrate both 3dcart and quickbooks (as wlel as any other retail channel, amazon, ebay, etc). I don't know why but their site is broken right now so that's not a good thing. http://eretail.bizelo.com/inventory

check other similar bridges like lettuce apps, stitch labs, etc. (seems not to have 3dcart)

=====

I don't know 3dcart at all.
My current plan is going to use Vend for POS and magento go or Shopify for eCommerce. Shopify also has its own POS but it's iPad based and I would prefer a web based one (I don't like iPads)
Newbie
Feb 19, 2014
2 posts
I think possible pos is best. I am currently using it and it's working great!
Hope it helps you!!
Newbie
User avatar
May 6, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
If any one currently looking for POS then fist have a look at MageMob POS.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
294 upvotes
Calgary
Just remember you have to be compliant with PCI requirements. That becomes way more complex if you integrate your POS with any business systems.
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 30, 2014
86 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JnCworks wrote: We have both a website and a Brick and Mortar. We have looked into a few retail POS systems. However many don't handle the ability to remove one tax (for status cards) or have very simple functions. Some don't even have a simple end of day summary. It would be nice to have the POS integrate inventory with our present website, (it is a good size - www.vapemate.com) that is hosted on 3dCart.

Would like it to integrate with 3dcart without spending 5K to have it happen.
Would like it to integrate with a book keeping solution (Quick books or Sage)

AND if none of the options above are viable, would just like a solid POS system. User friendly, programmable, and not too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Anything is possible with website. Your web site is built in ASP.net and mostly POS systems are also built in .NET framework.
I'll suggest you hire a developer. According to me it would cost you $1k to $3k and you would get your own custom pos system.
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 30, 2014
86 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gee wrote: Can anyone recommend a simple POS for a coffee shop?
You can find many free POS on CNET software directory.
Newbie
Jul 3, 2015
1 posts
If you are looking POS system for your website, then MageMob POS best . I recommended for you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1151 upvotes
web300 wrote: You can find many free POS on CNET software directory.
I'm interested in free POS for a cafe setting as well. This may seem like a dumb question but how do I connect the system with a receipt printer or other machines? Or better question is...how do I set up the whole system? So I'd have a laptop with the free POS software, then the laptop connects to the receipt printer?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7741 posts
1477 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: I'm interested in free POS for a cafe setting as well. This may seem like a dumb question but how do I connect the system with a receipt printer or other machines? Or better question is...how do I set up the whole system? So I'd have a laptop with the free POS software, then the laptop connects to the receipt printer?
Most POS systems are running on regular computer systems with a Windows operating system, which are run via CAT5, and it's almost the same as setting up your own home network. The only thing is you need to designate devices by either setting a fixed IP address, or its own alias if not going by IP address if you have multiple similar devices (I.E 3x Receipt printer, one in the main area, one in the back, and one in the kitchen?)

Most printers are LAN ready, so it connects to either a empty port on your router, or a patched jack in the room that connects to the router. There's WiFI options as well.

Top