Students

Is it possible to be accepted into a good university after poor High School performance if I make it up with ILC courses

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2017 9:52 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
1 posts

Is it possible to be accepted into a good university after poor High School performance if I make it up with ILC courses

I graduated secondary school in 2015 but my grades were quite horrible. I barely made it out of some courses with only 50's thanks to my amazing teachers giving me extra chances. At that time I had absolutely no clue what to do with my life. I planned on maybe joining the military and going on to become a police officer or firefighter after my service. Instead I got a babysitting gig which I became very comfortable with because I still lived at home and made above minimum wage.

Being so comfortable with the job made me push aside any urgency to figure out what direction I wanted to take in life. I knew I wasn't going to babysit kids for the rest in my life, nor did I want to but I was making money and I could help with the rent. I was just kind of enjoying the simplicity of it all even though I wasn't moving forward in life.

I eventually lost the job a few months ago due to a shift change of the woman I worked for and finally decided to try and move forward. I ended up applying to the military like I planned to. Unfortunately I had a house fire only a couple weeks before I officially started the process. All of my papers were destroyed and my family and I had a lot of cleaning up and rebuilding to do. After the fire my application was put on hold. Now that I have settled down after the fire I believed I was ready to call the recruitment center and continue on with the process.

Unfortunately my brain has done a complete 180 on me. I have never considered university before but recently I have been entertaining the idea. I have always been a lousy student, my teachers would straight up tell me how dumb I was. I never did my homework or studied for tests. I never saw myself as "university material" so I just completely dismissed the idea even as a kid.

I don't genuinely believe that I am so stupid that I would fail if I actually tried. I think my intelligence is quite... average. What I fear is my terrible performance in school will override any good I achieve in the courses I plan on taking online. If I were to work my butt off to do well with these ILC courses, is it at all possible for me to get into a decent university or am I virtually screwed?

TL;DR: I was a horrid High School student who barely graduated pulling 50's in some classes. I plan on taking ilc courses and applying to university. Would I still be able to be accepted into a good university?
6 replies
Sep 2, 2016
228 posts
15 upvotes
Laine33 wrote: I graduated secondary school in 2015 but my grades were quite horrible. I barely made it out of some courses with only 50's thanks to my amazing teachers giving me extra chances. At that time I had absolutely no clue what to do with my life. I planned on maybe joining the military and going on to become a police officer or firefighter after my service. Instead I got a babysitting gig which I became very comfortable with because I still lived at home and made above minimum wage.

Being so comfortable with the job made me push aside any urgency to figure out what direction I wanted to take in life. I knew I wasn't going to babysit kids for the rest in my life, nor did I want to but I was making money and I could help with the rent. I was just kind of enjoying the simplicity of it all even though I wasn't moving forward in life.

I eventually lost the job a few months ago due to a shift change of the woman I worked for and finally decided to try and move forward. I ended up applying to the military like I planned to. Unfortunately I had a house fire only a couple weeks before I officially started the process. All of my papers were destroyed and my family and I had a lot of cleaning up and rebuilding to do. After the fire my application was put on hold. Now that I have settled down after the fire I believed I was ready to call the recruitment center and continue on with the process.

Unfortunately my brain has done a complete 180 on me. I have never considered university before but recently I have been entertaining the idea. I have always been a lousy student, my teachers would straight up tell me how dumb I was. I never did my homework or studied for tests. I never saw myself as "university material" so I just completely dismissed the idea even as a kid.

I don't genuinely believe that I am so stupid that I would fail if I actually tried. I think my intelligence is quite... average. What I fear is my terrible performance in school will override any good I achieve in the courses I plan on taking online. If I were to work my butt off to do well with these ILC courses, is it at all possible for me to get into a decent university or am I virtually screwed?

TL;DR: I was a horrid High School student who barely graduated pulling 50's in some classes. I plan on taking ilc courses and applying to university. Would I still be able to be accepted into a good university?
You could always apply as an independent student and get some university credits and then apply for the program you want.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1213 upvotes
aGincourt
Yes. Some programs will only take first attempts (U of T Rotmans, and some Waterloo engineering I think?) but the majority of programs and unis will take your top 6 U marks into consideration
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
You need to get into a local college transfer program. Whatever the equivalent of Kwantlen or Douglas is in your city.

Most of the students there will have subpar to average high school grades. If you do well there, you can transfer into really great university programs.

It's not easy though, it will take 2 years. There are some really good students that do this to save money so it's no walk in the park.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Feb 11, 2015
113 posts
22 upvotes
East York, ON
You can always retake high school courses to boost your average.

Another option is to go to a community college and then transfer to a university.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7080 posts
4231 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Join the military if they will accept you. From there, you will have various options for training. Later on, you may even decide to take your commission and attend university on full pay. If not, you still have a good paying career with a DB pension after as little as 25 years.

My hubby just retired from the military (28 years service) last month. At 47 years old he is now collecting a really good pension, on top of being hired into another federal government position making good money (military get favourable treatment over someone just in off the street when it comes to government hiring). In other words, he's now double dipping.
Sep 29, 2008
929 posts
191 upvotes
Mississauga
Of course it is. ILC is pretty easy, just put the work in and you should be able to score very high. Most universities in Canada will accept you based on your more recent grades. I would highly recommend ILC as it is virtually free and will also greatly help you in doing well in first year courses which are mostly a repeat of grade 12.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)