Real Estate

Possible to buy a home without a Real Estate agent?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2019 1:28 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4625 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
BiegeToyota wrote: It would actually make more sense to hire a seller's agent directly as they would be super motivated to earn double the commission and sell you the property at a discount even though they say they must act in seller's best interest.
This is exactly why multiple representation is a conflict of interest. A Seller Agent is suppose to get the most for their client, not just to get a deal, and a Buyer agent is trying to get the best deal for their buyer.

Get yourself a rebate from a realtor. There are many on here, myself included. I have worked with many on RFD, and all have appreciated the effort that I put in. Trust me, a buyer agent is not just opening a door and doing some paperwork. A good agent will have experience and know what to look for with condos and homes. Bungol is limited in the information they provide. You need an agent that can narrow down information using Stratus.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1217 upvotes
Ottawa
BiegeToyota wrote: It would actually make more sense to hire a seller's agent directly as they would be super motivated to earn double the commission and sell you the property at a discount even though they say they must act in seller's best interest.
You are kidding, right? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

We sold 4 properties in the last 10 years, with the same agent. When the buyer didn't have their own agent, ours reduced the commission to 3% because he didn't have to split the commission. That was in our signed agreement. Not sure how anyone can "hire" an agent to change the legal terms of a contract when that agent already has a legal contract with a seller.

I don't get the logic of some posters here that all agents are willing to do anything for their own bottom line. Our rural agent's reputation in a small community is important.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3576 posts
3061 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote: You are kidding, right? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

We sold 4 properties in the last 10 years, with the same agent. When the buyer didn't have their own agent, ours reduced the commission to 3% because he didn't have to split the commission. That was in our signed agreement. Not sure how anyone can "hire" an agent to change the legal terms of a contract when that agent already has a legal contract with a seller.

I don't get the logic of some posters here that all agents are willing to do anything for their own bottom line. Our rural agent's reputation in a small community is important.
Not kidding.

I bought a condo using seller's agent and got a 5% discount. The seller was a bank though and they wanted the property gone. I am sure that helped. It was also the best service I ever received in Canada. The girls even helped me move out my stuff when I split from my gf.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4625 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
BiegeToyota wrote: Not kidding.

I bought a condo using seller's agent and got a 5% discount. The seller was a bank though and they wanted the property gone. I am sure that helped. It was also the best service I ever received in Canada. The girls even helped me move out my stuff when I split from my gf.
Your 5% off the asking price had more to do with the fact the property was a power of sale.
Full-time Realtor
Mar 13, 2017
984 posts
1155 upvotes
Pay attention:

(1) You'll never meet a realtor who thinks a buyer can do better on price unless they bring a buyer rep to the party (profit motive)
(2) You'll never meet a list agent who doesn't think he/she can make more commission if the buyer rep isn't at the party (profit motive)
(3) You'll never meet a realtor who brings a buyer rep to his/her own party when buying property (profit motive)

Summary:

- Realtor opinion is driven by profit motive.

You can end this thread now.