Home & Garden

Possible to cut a 6.5mm vinyl plank (no underpad) with utility knife?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2020 6:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
172 posts
25 upvotes

Possible to cut a 6.5mm vinyl plank (no underpad) with utility knife?

Tried my best but have not managed to succeed. Looks like i am missing some techniques here.
Any one any experience & any tips please how to best cut those without saw?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4853 posts
1395 upvotes
A cheap corded saw off Kijiji will make your life way easier.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3001 posts
1592 upvotes
Mississauga
Frayed edges for sure
Get a saw
Dec 21, 2020
29 posts
12 upvotes
Take a look at this video. It's a good overall video but the relevant part for you is around the 5:30 mark. Youtube
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2769 posts
1543 upvotes
Mississauga
Manufactures say to score and snap, but it is easier said than done. Lol. Using a saw is way more easier.
Jan 7, 2013
708 posts
377 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
I've been score and snapping 6mm plank with no issue today. Exacto knife and a carpenter square. Make a bit of a gouge and they are snapping fine.

Score the face side. Flip over. Rest knee on one side of the piece near the line. Pull. Snap. It might feel like its bending but the clean line snap comes after.

Saws are messy. So much vinyl debris. I use a table saw to rip plank horizontally but for trimming rows to length, score and snap is faster and cleaner
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
172 posts
25 upvotes
Shaidin wrote: I've been score and snapping 6mm plank with no issue today. Exacto knife and a carpenter square. Make a bit of a gouge and they are snapping fine.

Score the face side. Flip over. Rest knee on one side of the piece near the line. Pull. Snap. It might feel like its bending but the clean line snap comes after.

Saws are messy. So much vinyl debris. I use a table saw to rip plank horizontally but for trimming rows to length, score and snap is faster and cleaner
This? https://www.staples.ca/products/10957-e ... KAQAvD_BwE
I tried with other Dewalt & also stanley knives but looks like my plank is Rigid 6.5mm vinyl after removing underpad. Will give it a try again
Jan 7, 2013
708 posts
377 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
nowhere2010 wrote: This? https://www.staples.ca/products/10957-e ... KAQAvD_BwE
I tried with other Dewalt & also stanley knives but looks like my plank is Rigid 6.5mm vinyl after removing underpad. Will give it a try again
Sorry I guess Exacto was the wrong word, its just a generic utility knife.

Clamp the carpenter square to the plank to help keep a clean line. Score three or four times. Then snap.

My planks are the 6mm + 1mm underpad Duraclic XRP planks from Lowes.
May 3, 2012
75 posts
63 upvotes
Victoria
I bought a laminate flooring cutter for my first LVP project. It worked out much better than scoring and snapping, saved me time and frustration. I've been using that cutter for later LVP projects without any problems. For ripping and odd cuts, I use a circular saw and jig saw. They work but create insane amount of dust/debris.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1309 posts
776 upvotes
Ottawa
It's actually pretty important how good a utility knife you have.

I laid 1/4" vinyl planks in a shed this summer. Could not get score-and-snap work for the life of me with the cheap dollar-store utility knife I had. Switched to an old, no-name but 20+ year old metal utility knife that worked very well. The old knife held the blade firmly and transferred hand pressure fully into the cut through the blade. The cheap new one was flimsy; adequate as a box-cutter or similar, but the blade flexed from side to side in preference to deepening the cut in hard material.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2818 posts
1056 upvotes
If you’re having difficulties scoring the planks deep enough, get one of these, as they give you more leverage:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt ... 1000708290

I also found that using hook utility blades made it easier as well. But I mainly use a knife to do offset cuts, etc since a good flooring cutter made things a ton easier.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4733 posts
1697 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Tried my best but have not managed to succeed. Looks like i am missing some techniques here.
Any one any experience & any tips please how to best cut those without saw?
Damn it! Use a jigsaw with at least a 20TPI blade for a perfect clean cut.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2