• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2009 4:16 am
[OP]
Feb 24, 2004
175 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa

[NCIX] Possible deal on Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer at NCIX.com

I've been researching NAS storage devices for quite some time and noticed the ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer at NCIX for $1133.00. Then I happend to see the same unit at a much higher price but on sale and also including a $200 MIR.

If you can apply the $200 MIR to the lower priced item then you're looking at an amazing NAS device for $933.00!
  1. ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer: $1133.00 - $200 MIR = $933.00
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=222278737 ... re=Netgear
  2. ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer: $1649.99 - $200 instant - $200 MIR = $1249.99
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=37160&vpn ... re=Netgear
Different SKU's in the URL's above but the model numbers and all other information is identical. Not sure if different SKU's would matter with the MIR though. Even if you can't use the MIR it's still cheaper than buying No. 2.

Just thought I'd post it incase someone was looking for one of these.

sdo.
26 replies
May 6, 2007
783 posts
293 upvotes
Thanks OP. Ordered 2 for the kids for Christmas so they don't have to share. Does this work with Nintendo DS?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
I don't get it...Please someone explain.

Why pay this kind of price when you can buy a bunch of $70 1TB drives and pop them into a desktop?

Noise - put it somewhere you won't hear it
Electricity - The money spent on these NAS > money for electricity
RAID - buy a $50 RAID card

Heck, I'd pop drives into a PC before buying a $300 NAS box that only comes with 1x1TB drive.

:?: :?: :?:
This space for rent
Apr 6, 2003
425 posts
39 upvotes
trucanuck wrote: Thanks OP. Ordered 2 for the kids for Christmas so they don't have to share. Does this work with Nintendo DS?
Hahahaha!
Sep 30, 2001
29376 posts
8774 upvotes
Toronto
Mr Nobody wrote: Why pay this kind of price when you can buy a bunch of $70 1TB drives and pop them into a desktop?
-because then your desktop must remain on for everyone in your network (the main point of a nas)
-not everyone has 6 bays free
-ease of configuration. pop the drives (w/o powering off my system), select my raid level and i'm done. no raid drivers, no messing with my bios.
-easily accessible hot swappable drives
-built-in user configuration, quota mgmt, folder restrictions
-aesthetics of a pc vs a small nas box

anyway lets just get to the end game. for pretty much everyone here they'll be more than happy with a bunch of shared disks in their pc, or with something like FreeNAS built with a spare pc. for a small percentage of us a commercial nas unit is ideal.
Be kind and civil with one another
Sep 30, 2001
29376 posts
8774 upvotes
Toronto
Anonymouse wrote: you can get a Synology one WITH drives for $1250 from newegg?
i do not see any Synology units with drives for $1250 on newegg.ca. For that matter Synology does not have a 6bay unit (even in their Business class) which the Pro Pioneer is.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2358 posts
117 upvotes
Montreal
Mr Nobody wrote: I don't get it...Please someone explain.

Why pay this kind of price when you can buy a bunch of $70 1TB drives and pop them into a desktop?

Heck, I'd pop drives into a PC before buying a $300 NAS box that only comes with 1x1TB drive.

If you dont get it, you probably dont need it :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3639 posts
131 upvotes
Yah these things tend to go up in price depending on the number of bays you get. For the cheapies, a PC w/ RAID card would be a better option. Sadly in testing, they find that these NAS units consume roughly the same power as a PC anyways (one setup as a NAS), so there's not much benefit there. The other benefit with a PC is that you can build a quieter and cooler system (cases like the Antec 300 or 900 work awesome). Oh and it can double as a PC if you want as well.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2004
175 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Anonymouse wrote: Over $1k without hard drives? This thing is going to be $1600 by the time you've got it running. Is there something very special about this one, because you can get a Synology one WITH drives for $1250 from newegg?
With the $200 MIR it's less than $1k. ;)

I'm not sure on the specs of the Synology NAS you're mentioning so I can't really comment. Do you have a link for comparison?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
MrDisco wrote: -because then your desktop must remain on for everyone in your network (the main point of a nas)
-not everyone has 6 bays free
-ease of configuration. pop the drives (w/o powering off my system), select my raid level and i'm done. no raid drivers, no messing with my bios.
-easily accessible hot swappable drives
-built-in user configuration, quota mgmt, folder restrictions
-aesthetics of a pc vs a small nas box

anyway lets just get to the end game. for pretty much everyone here they'll be more than happy with a bunch of shared disks in their pc, or with something like FreeNAS built with a spare pc. for a small percentage of us a commercial nas unit is ideal.
- Desktop always on - no biggie. NAS has to always be on anyways.
- 6 bays - What!?!? Not everyone has 6 bays free? I must be a special case. :) But then not everyone NEEDS 6 bays either. :)
- Ease of configuration - You got me there, but I'm a DIY/technie so can't see paying the premium for a $1000 NAS. I can see the $300 NAS being an almost-option
- hot swap - overated, underused
- built-in <etc, etc>, understandable you pay for it, but again $300 I can almost understand, $1000 I can't. :)
- aesthetics, again I guess you pay for it.

Your last point makes the most sense. Majority = PC, minority (rich?) = NAS.
vpower wrote: If you dont get it, you probably dont need it :lol:
Need - no, want - yes, have money for it - no, can understand why people would pay premium for it - no. :lol:
This space for rent
[OP]
Feb 24, 2004
175 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Anonymouse wrote: Not a 6-drive unit, but you can order a 4-drive DS410j and have it delivered to Canada with four Western Digital 1.5 TB hard drives for around that price.
You can't compare this to the ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer. Completely different beasts. The Synology only has 128MB of RAM so it wouldn't even be sufficient for streaming video (even though they say it supports lots of media formats).
[OP]
Feb 24, 2004
175 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Mr Nobody wrote: Your last point makes the most sense. Majority = PC, minority (rich?) = NAS.

Need - no, want - yes, have money for it - no, can understand why people would pay premium for it - no. :lol:
The way I look at data storage is simple. That's my data. It's important. I should spend the same (if not more) money making sure it's safe as I do on the computer that I use to access it.

Cheapening out or futzing with a bunch of parts to make one doesn't really interest me either. I want something that is rock solid and that I can count on. After all, it's got my data on it and I'd rather not lose it.

I'm not saying a ReadyNAS is the answer. I was just posting the deal incase someone else was looking.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3370 posts
302 upvotes
Sherbrooke
This is a trouble free device. But I agree that anyone that have some kind of computer knowledge will save money building a desktop even with a good raid card.

I build myself a NAS with a 8port Areca raid card ($500 alone!) and come about the same price as this with the 8x 1tb drive in it... and this is as bulletproof/enterprise grade as this Netgear NAS..
Only downside is the desktop is bigger (but not much, I got a silverstone HTPC case with 8 drive bay)
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
3872 posts
57 upvotes
sdo wrote: The way I look at data storage is simple. That's my data. It's important. I should spend the same (if not more) money making sure it's safe as I do on the computer that I use to access it.

Cheapening out or futzing with a bunch of parts to make one doesn't really interest me either. I want something that is rock solid and that I can count on. After all, it's got my data on it and I'd rather not lose it.

I'm not saying a ReadyNAS is the answer. I was just posting the deal incase someone else was looking.
Dont let them bother you OP...you pointed out a savings to those who might be interested. If they are inclined they will look further....if not then onto the next deal.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2004
175 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
rogue wrote: Dont let them bother you OP...you pointed out a savings to those who might be interested. If they are inclined they will look further....if not then onto the next deal.
I'm not bothered at all. Just didn't want to turn this thread into a debate on which is better.

I was actually hoping that someone could determine if the $200 MIR would even apply to the lower-priced ReadyNAS. Seems to me like it should work.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
sdo wrote: The way I look at data storage is simple. That's my data. It's important. I should spend the same (if not more) money making sure it's safe as I do on the computer that I use to access it.

Same reliability can be had with a PC solution. I can understand the ease-of-use point and I guess its a luxury one has to pay for. I guess there are just a lot more rich people on RFD than I thought. :)
rogue wrote: Dont let them bother you OP...you pointed out a savings to those who might be interested. If they are inclined they will look further....if not then onto the next deal.
Not trying to bother anyone. Just trying to understand why people would pay the hefty premium for it versus using any existing PC.

Perhaps I should have started a thread in the computer section, but this seemed like a convenient place to just ask a simple question.
This space for rent
Oct 24, 2005
885 posts
14 upvotes
Winnipeg
Mr Nobody wrote: I don't get it...Please someone explain.

Lol, go ahead and try to run RAID5 on a $50 RAID card then come back here and speak up... You need to buy at least a $300 + card to run RAID5 with decent speed.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19085 posts
2399 upvotes
YVR
I've sold lots of Synology and QNAP NAS enclosures and most of them go to small and medium size businesses. Consultants buy them and put them into businesses. Easy, simple and small solution that don't require much. Web-based setup make it extremely easy to use.

For businesses, time is money and they can't be fussed with a whole PC network storage.

With that said, I've seen a number of techie end users buy these type of NAS units, mostly 1 and 2 bay ones. I think easy and size are the most important factors for them.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
michelkenny wrote: Lol, go ahead and try to run RAID5 on a $50 RAID card then come back here and speak up... You need to buy at least a $300 + card to run RAID5 with decent speed.
I never mentioned RAID level in my post, but either way, if that is the case, then I stand corrected.

So do the $300 NAS solutions come with a decent RAID5? If so, then effective the NAS is free, right? That would be a good solution.

Otherwise, buying a $300 RAID5 card and putting it into an existing PC is still cheaper than buying this $1000 NAS box.

That's all assuming people want RAID5.
This space for rent
Sep 30, 2001
29376 posts
8774 upvotes
Toronto
Mr Nobody wrote: But then not everyone NEEDS 6 bays either. :)
This is the point where arguments get ridiculous. You're right, those who don't need a 6 bay storage setup won't even be looking at this unit to begin with. Do you see the fruitless circle you've created?
- Ease of configuration - You got me there, but I'm a DIY/technie so can't see paying the premium for a $1000 NAS
Congrats. Your cookie is in the mail.
Clearly this product isn't for you. For others it's the perfect solution.
- hot swap - overated, underused
Yeah...that must be why all enterprise servers have that feature. Silly server admins what do they know.
Your last point makes the most sense. Majority = PC, minority (rich?) = NAS.
more like majority = peanut gallery on RFD, minority = those who don't senselessly crap in threads :twisted:

This is like arguing with somebody about the merits of a luxury timepiece vs a Timex.

Different solutions exist for different people and their needs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)