Careers

Possible discrimination at hiring?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2016 9:54 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Jul 23, 2014
230 posts
229 upvotes
Outaouais

Possible discrimination at hiring?

I have the bitter experience of being rejected after applying to a position at a well-known manufacturing company that was the perfect fit for me (extensive international experience, ivy league degree and competencies that match exactly what they were looking for).

I did so good that I got through to 4 interviews and with the last one (the final one i was told), I met with the director of the dept. The guy is an american who according to his linkedin profile has not much international experience nor he has any impressive degree, i think he's more of a lifer and got where he is from internal promotion.
All other 3 interviews were really enthusiastic and everyone was telling me how a good fit i'd be and gave advice on where to live (i would have to move).

So anyway, got a call from HR a few days after the interview telling me that I was the perfect candidate for the job but now they realize that they needed someone with a bit more experience in the industry ...

Anyway fast forward 3 weeks later and the same job is now on their job board ...

So now that is puzzling!!

I don't want to take the easiest route and say it is discrimination (I'm non-caucasian) but it just seems so weird ...

I wanted to write back and ask what's the deal ... but refrain myself from doing so.

Any thought about the whole thing and what i should do?

Cheers

SH
29 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4123 posts
928 upvotes
Sask.
It doesn't seem puzzling at all, they said they wanted someone with more experience, so reposted the position.
Member
Oct 2, 2014
212 posts
35 upvotes
New Westminster
Unless the company gives you a reason that is deemed discriminatory, there is no basis for you to claim "discrimination". They just hired a better person, a person who has more experience, etc. The reason they gave you "they needed someone with a bit more experience in the industry" is a valid one. Just move on..
[OP]
Member
Jul 23, 2014
230 posts
229 upvotes
Outaouais
natalka wrote: It doesn't seem puzzling at all, they said they wanted someone with more experience, so reposted the position.
But exactly the same position? Why would they just ask for more experience in the job description then?
Sr. Member
Dec 16, 2014
887 posts
475 upvotes
Easter Island
Ask for feedback.
Don't understand why they would conduct 3 interviews only to ask for a more experienced person. Could be discrimination but you'll never know
[OP]
Member
Jul 23, 2014
230 posts
229 upvotes
Outaouais
inkjoy wrote: Unless the company gives you a reason that is deemed discriminatory, there is no basis for you to claim "discrimination". They just hired a better person, a person who has more experience, etc. The reason they gave you "they needed someone with a bit more experience in the industry" is a valid one. If they are discriminating you based on race, they won't call you up for an interview, not once but 4 interviews. Just move on..
You're right i wouldn't have gotten 4 interviews if they had systemic discrimination ... however I felt that the last interview was already decided as I entered the room. The director already made up his mind before even meeting me.

I may be overthinking it and maybe the dude is an insecure douche that is afraid of hiring someone smarter than him ... no mater what colour they could be!!

The HR felt so bad that they actually called to tell me the news (which is rather odd!) and said that they would be happy to help if I find any other position I'm interested in with them ...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1488 posts
537 upvotes
YVR, BC
something happened in the 4 th interview........basically the Director of a Dept - doesn't want to feel threatened to be replaced by someone more competent - you made him feel threatened, this you don't do until you have the job not before. He then made up the excuse that you don't have experience etc.

Seen it over and over
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
SuperHanuman wrote: So now that is puzzling!!

I don't want to take the easiest route and say it is discrimination (I'm non-caucasian) but it just seems so weird ...
Can't help it if they don't like you - just move on to another job.
SuperHanuman wrote: maybe the dude is an insecure douche that is afraid of hiring someone smarter than him ... no mater what colour they could be!!
Probably ... or thought you were too book smart. Who knows, just chalk it up to experience and move on.
[OP]
Member
Jul 23, 2014
230 posts
229 upvotes
Outaouais
coolspot wrote: Can't help it if they don't like you - just move on to another job.



Probably ... or thought you were too book smart. Who knows, just chalk it up to experience and move on.
i guess you're right .. can't win them all!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 27, 2007
5079 posts
940 upvotes
Peterborough
I agree with a previous poster. Ask for feedback in a non-confrontational manner.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18863 posts
6906 upvotes
Toronto
You can't prove anything. They said they are looking for someone more experienced and probably reposted because they couldn't find anyone.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24795 posts
1908 upvotes
Markham, ON
OP...you going to whine "possible discrimination" every time you have a set back?

...seriously you can't even joke about that stuff.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35619 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
Which manufacturing company is this, if I may ask?
Member
Nov 24, 2011
278 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
There is such a thing as being over-qualified and you might just be that. Given your credentials, they might be worried that you would get bored and then leave and they would've wasted their time and money training you.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2587 posts
1771 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I applied for a job in March 2016 that I was definitely qualified for- heck some of my ex-colleagues who had less seniority then me work in the department/same job title I applied for. The manager told me she had 200 applicants and I was 1/50 to be interviewed. Flash forward 2 months later the same job is posted... Confirmed with my ex-colleagues that they indeed "couldn't find anyone".

In April I started at the same company different division and department. A few weeks ago and internal email went out regarding the exact same role I applied for!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
The fact that you posted here and thought about discrimination means you need to take a moment to reflect. It sounds to me like you are just bitter about the rejection and now you're externalizing it by claiming discrimination when there is no evidence. It's like confessing your love to a girl, getting rejected, then you say the girl has bad tastes for rejecting you.

Yes indeed maybe they want someone with more experience. The director (your 4th interview) may have decided that none of the candidates have enough experience and that they need someone with more qualifications. What's wrong with that? Nothing you described in your story suggests discrimination. The first 3 are probably just junior level managers and don't see the big picture. The director probably thought at a different level. And you make it seem personal by describing him as a douche. The first 3 seemed to be really personable. Maybe you need to accept the fact that not everyone is going to be nice to you, and that there's no obligation for someone to be nice to you.

Either way, you should move on and look for other positions. These threads pop up here all the time and my advice is the same: move on. You gain little by confronting them. If they don't want to hire you, you can't FORCE them to hire you and still maintain a healthy working relationship. If they really are discriminatory, you don't want to work there anyways.
Newbie
Nov 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
SuperHanuman wrote: You're right i wouldn't have gotten 4 interviews if they had systemic discrimination ... however I felt that the last interview was already decided as I entered the room. The director already made up his mind before even meeting me.

I may be overthinking it and maybe the dude is an insecure douche that is afraid of hiring someone smarter than him ... no mater what colour they could be!!

The HR felt so bad that they actually called to tell me the news (which is rather odd!) and said that they would be happy to help if I find any other position I'm interested in with them ...
Happened to me before. The Senior Manager really loved me and was the one who was going to make the recomendation of whom to hire. But when I had a brief interview with the Director she gave me a certain vibe. Heck, she looked shocked to me see me at first (I'm non white) and didn't get give a good vibe at all. When I sent an email to the senior manager asking about the job he said although he had put my name forward as the person to hire, the Director decided on someone else. Pained me for ages but such is life. You'll get another chance elsewhere don't stress.
Jr. Member
Jan 31, 2016
176 posts
83 upvotes
AB
The fact that you are screaming "discrimination!!!11" when, judging by your posts, there is no solid basis for it, suggests that you're insecure. Not only that, you belittle the intelligence of the director who conducted your final interview. So anyone who doesn't hire you is either a racist or a moron. Ok. Maybe the director sensed some of this attitude during the interview...?

I think you need to do a bit of soul searching. There're soo many other ways you could have interpreted this.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5481 posts
1029 upvotes
SuperHanuman wrote: I have the bitter experience of being rejected after applying to a position at a well-known manufacturing company that was the perfect fit for me (extensive international experience, ivy league degree and competencies that match exactly what they were looking for).

I did so good that I got through to 4 interviews and with the last one (the final one i was told), I met with the director of the dept. The guy is an american who according to his linkedin profile has not much international experience nor he has any impressive degree, i think he's more of a lifer and got where he is from internal promotion.
All other 3 interviews were really enthusiastic and everyone was telling me how a good fit i'd be and gave advice on where to live (i would have to move).

So anyway, got a call from HR a few days after the interview telling me that I was the perfect candidate for the job but now they realize that they needed someone with a bit more experience in the industry ...

Anyway fast forward 3 weeks later and the same job is now on their job board ...

So now that is puzzling!!

I don't want to take the easiest route and say it is discrimination (I'm non-caucasian) but it just seems so weird ...

I wanted to write back and ask what's the deal ... but refrain myself from doing so.

Any thought about the whole thing and what i should do?

Cheers

SH
I can see how someone wouldn't want to hire you, you give off a strong sense of entitlement and your achievements probably don't align with what you think your worth is.

The funniest part is you are claiming discrimination based on no evidence at all indicating such, but you look down upon the final interviewer and say derogatory things based on his nationality and no understanding of what he has done with his career.

Company dodged a bullet by not hiring you for sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2041 posts
857 upvotes
Brampton, ON
OP, it could have very well been discrimination but sadly it cannot be proven so at the end of the day you learned a lesson maybe.

As someone else said, move on from it. You won't gain anything by confronting them nor will you gain anything about constantly thinking about it.

Top