• Jun 29th, 2020 10:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 5, 2005
722 posts
661 upvotes

Possible to downsize Tilley Hat?

Hi,

I want to buy a Tilley Paddler's Hat (TWS1) which is made of Schoeller®: 73% polyester, 27% polyurethane.
The thing is there is only the 7 7/8" size available. (My size would be between 7 5/8 - 7 3/4)
So the is a little too big, but i'm wondering if it's possible to shrink this hat at least a size down without damaging it?

Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3297 posts
593 upvotes
Wash it. I will say though that when this happened to me (unfortunately) the hat was 100% cotton. It was not a Tilley hat, but still it could well shrink. A straw hat (my favourite) got soaked in a sudden rainstorm (a very bad storm) and it also shrunk.

I do not care for Tilley hats - they really don't suit me, but I did in desperation go to the Tilley store. I appear to be a 7 but I really need an 8+. I tried on the 7 to please the salesperson and and make her understand the problem. People were watching and I ended up as the "model" for people who were trying to buy their husbands' hats in the XL size. I suppose the good news is that as a woman I only appear to be a 7 so I buy hats wherever and whenever I can.

So, if you are willing to take the chance, that is what I would suggest. The problem of course is if the hat shrinks too much. Mine did.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3666 posts
1413 upvotes
The hat will not shrink at all, because this particular model is not made of cotton.

I have the same one, and it has an adjustment on the back (for when it gets really windy, so it doesn't go flying away). Have you tried adjusting it, so it gets tighter?

It is the elastic loop cord at the back, with the rubber adjustment "ring" (don't know the proper name for it).
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3666 posts
1413 upvotes
Take a look at the video. I hope it is clearer.

The loop that allows to adjust the hat size is mentioned at the 3:10 mark. Just pull the cord out / away from the hat, and move the adjustment rubber ring (again, don't know if that's the proper name).

[OP]
Sep 5, 2005
722 posts
661 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Take a look at the video. I hope it is clearer.

The loop that allows to adjust the hat size is mentioned at the 3:10 mark. Just pull the cord out / away from the hat, and move the adjustment rubber ring (again, don't know if that's the proper name).

Thank, I goes instore to size hat for proper fit, unfortunatly i havent found the Paddler's hat instore, so i sized from the LTM5 hat.
I didn't know that model has i cord to size the hat, since you have one, do you think you can size it down to 2 size lower? (EX: 7 7/8 to 7 5/8?) or is it just i slight ajustment?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3666 posts
1413 upvotes
Honestly I don't know if it would work for 2 sizes.

Basically it is an elastic cord that goes around half of the circumference of the head (only half of the head). For example, if the day is really windy, and you are in a boat, you don't want to the hat to go flying around, or into the water, so it's possible to pull the cord and it gets tighter. That, and the cord around the chin, pretty much guarantee that the hat won't fly away. But to do 2 sizes down on a permanent basis may be too much...
[OP]
Sep 5, 2005
722 posts
661 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Honestly I don't know if it would work for 2 sizes.

Basically it is an elastic cord that goes around half of the circumference of the head (only half of the head). For example, if the day is really windy, and you are in a boat, you don't want to the hat to go flying around, or into the water, so it's possible to pull the cord and it gets tighter. That, and the cord around the chin, pretty much guarantee that the hat won't fly away. But to do 2 sizes down on a permanent basis may be too much...
I will mostly need to size it down to 1 size should be ok.
That's unfortunate I can't find the paddle's in store I could have tried it.
The 7 7/8 ltm5 hat is loose but it don't fall off my head if I put my head upside-down. (Borderline to not fall off)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20718 posts
14553 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Maculosa wrote: i'm wondering if it's possible to shrink this hat at least a size down without damaging it?
As others have said, it's made of synthetic materials so can't be shrunk like cotton.

I would give Tilley a call and ask if they can help. I imagine they've been asked similar questions before so they may be able to offer some suggestions, e.g. make your size to-order or, like a pants waist, take it in a bit, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13103 posts
2187 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The hat will not shrink because polyester does not shrink.

I wa wearing a felt wool hat one time when there was a rain storm that took me by surprise. That hat shrank!!!!!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.