• Oct 4th, 2016 9:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes

Is it possible to eat too many fruits?

My typical daily fruit intake often involves 2 apples, 1-2 oranges, 1 banana and maybe some berries (200-300 gram). I tend to eat them before and after workout, along with some protein. I also snack on fruits during meals and try to get a wide variety and mix them up during the week. I would say I probably consume 300-500 calories per day from fruits. I am just wondering if that is considered too many fruits due to the high sugar level? I do avoid most processed sugary food and refined carbs though.
27 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25749 posts
11102 upvotes
Too many according to what? Calorie count? Sugar volume? Lethal volume?

I mean... Canada's food guide recommends 8-10 servings of 125mL of fruit which is a liter.
According to that you're most likely not eating enough fruit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
I guess just in terms of sugar level. I mean, most fruits are pretty high in sugar but I heard that the fiber in fruits kind of balance it out by helping to slow down the absorbing time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5554 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
I'd judge if it's too many of you start having too many movements.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8889 posts
3238 upvotes
Toronto
Is it possible to eat too many ...?
yes
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
Guess it depends on what else you eat. So if you are 100% fruit that is no good. Green plants, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes you gotta eat em.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6024 posts
444 upvotes
BC
The ones you mentioned are good. Tropical fruits are loaded with much more sugar than an apple/orange/banana... berries are very good for you, blueberries and raspberries are high in antioxidants.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6057 posts
2536 upvotes
Fruits with the lowest sugar content by weight
- anything in the citrus family
- anything in the melon family
- peach, nectarine, plum etc. family

Maybe switch up your fruits a bit and drop so many bananas, apples, berries which all tend to be higher calorie?

There is a thing as too much fruit as diabetics are told to watch out for that.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3863 posts
1702 upvotes
I just try and eat a variety of at least three or four fruits a day, minimum. I don't set maximum limits on fruit consumption, but then again, I'm eating from other food groups as well.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1575 posts
592 upvotes
its next to impossible, short of consuming an insane amount to get hives. The more the better, along with veggies. Also fruit/carbs will not cause fat gain or diabetes, you can blame dietary fat for that, yes coconut oil is not healthy at all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6057 posts
2536 upvotes
froesesp wrote:
Oct 1st, 2016 8:11 pm
Also fruit/carbs will not cause fat gain or diabetes, you can blame dietary fat for that
Then why do diabetics count carbs and not count fat at all?

I'm sorry, diabetes is about too many carbs, controlling your carbs, counting your carbs.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3088 posts
1055 upvotes
Im sure you'll be way too full to eat enough fruit to kill you...eat away.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
That must get quite expensive for a full year. Why not 1 serving of fruit?. Less sugar to burn off during exercise, and enough vitamins to fulfill the recommendation of your doctor.

If you're into eating healthy it better be Organic. Berries and peaches have a crapload of pesticides, making it pointless to eat so many servings of fruits if you increase the pesticide intake.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
Yeah, it is not cheap. I don't buy organic but I only buy them when they are fresh and the cost does add up quite a bit. I eat quite a number of fruits since I enjoy the taste and I figured it would be a good replacement for breads/other carbs.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5776 posts
2132 upvotes
Aurora
henrycao8 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2016 5:23 pm
My typical daily fruit intake often involves 2 apples, 1-2 oranges, 1 banana and maybe some berries (200-300 gram). I tend to eat them before and after workout, along with some protein. I also snack on fruits during meals and try to get a wide variety and mix them up during the week. I would say I probably consume 300-500 calories per day from fruits. I am just wondering if that is considered too many fruits due to the high sugar level? I do avoid most processed sugary food and refined carbs though.
For a normal person, I think how you're eating is great. Reading between the lines, I get the impression that you're a fitness nut - and I mean that as a big complement. In that case, I'd agree with your concerns and cut down on the sugary fruits and switch to veggies or protien/meal replacement shakes. This is particularly important before a workout when in the "cutting" and cardio heavy phase of your training since you'd be introducing too many fast burn sugars in your bloodstream whch gets used up first before you can burn significant stored fat. If you're in the bulk up/ mass building phase of training, I wouldn't worry too much.