Is it possible to eat too many fruits?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2016 9:56 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3874 posts
1715 upvotes
Many people over the last few decades who have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes have been able to lower their medications and in some cases completely eliminate them by doing a moderate amount of exercise and by following a high carb, whole foods, mostly or all plant based way of eating which includes fruit.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3088 posts
1056 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Oct 1st, 2016 11:49 pm
henrycao8 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2016 5:23 pm
My typical daily fruit intake often involves 2 apples, 1-2 oranges, 1 banana and maybe some berries (200-300 gram). I tend to eat them before and after workout, along with some protein. I also snack on fruits during meals and try to get a wide variety and mix them up during the week. I would say I probably consume 300-500 calories per day from fruits. I am just wondering if that is considered too many fruits due to the high sugar level? I do avoid most processed sugary food and refined carbs though.
For a normal person, I think how you're eating is great. Reading between the lines, I get the impression that you're a fitness nut - and I mean that as a big complement. In that case, I'd agree with your concerns and cut down on the sugary fruits and switch to veggies or protien/meal replacement shakes. This is particularly important before a workout when in the "cutting" and cardio heavy phase of your training since you'd be introducing too many fast burn sugars in your bloodstream whch gets used up first before you can burn significant stored fat. If you're in the bulk up/ mass building phase of training, I wouldn't worry too much.
This makes no sense, did you just make that up ?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1434 posts
122 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
It's fine. Many vegans (not me) only eat fruit during the day.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3095 posts
480 upvotes
henrycao8 wrote:
My typical daily fruit intake often involves 2 apples, 1-2 oranges, 1 banana and maybe some berries (200-300 gram). I tend to eat them before and after workout, along with some protein. I also snack on fruits during meals and try to get a wide variety and mix them up during the week. I would say I probably consume 300-500 calories per day from fruits. I am just wondering if that is considered too many fruits due to the high sugar level? I do avoid most processed sugary food and refined carbs though.
It would be for me, but maybe not for you. I used to eat many fruits and vegetables - I love them. But then I came down with acid based kidney stones. I am extremely acidic (not stomach related) so do not eat fruit and extremely limit the vegetables I eat. Potassium is very high on my do not eat list. I have to really watch the purines and oxalic acids which unfortunately are very high in many of the foods I prefer. It makes in difficult shopping because my husband does not have my food issues and there are only the 2 of us.

I do hope that you are not taking a lot of Vitamin C supplements in addition to eating the oranges. That is how a friend developed a kidney stone.

Re hives, I used to get them if I ate raspberries.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5788 posts
2144 upvotes
Aurora
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 8:00 am
DiceMan wrote:
henrycao8 wrote:
For a normal person, I think how you're eating is great. Reading between the lines, I get the impression that you're a fitness nut - and I mean that as a big complement. In that case, I'd agree with your concerns and cut down on the sugary fruits and switch to veggies or protien/meal replacement shakes. This is particularly important before a workout when in the "cutting" and cardio heavy phase of your training since you'd be introducing too many fast burn sugars in your bloodstream whch gets used up first before you can burn significant stored fat. If you're in the bulk up/ mass building phase of training, I wouldn't worry too much.
No.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3088 posts
1056 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 8:46 pm
toronto19850 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 8:00 am
DiceMan wrote:

No.
so where'd you get that eating fruit before exercising prevents fatloss?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3036 posts
852 upvotes
Mississauga
Everything in moderation, even water. Your complete diet should be exactly that, complete. Mix it up and dont over do it on anything. Doesnt matter if its bacon or a peach :)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1348 posts
200 upvotes
Grimsby
I had a friend who ate large amounts of fruit but always seemed to have sores in and around his mouth.
I suggested he lowered the amount of daily fruits.
Ha sarcastically asked about my medical credentials (non existent).
I suggested he went without for one week to see.
It worked, his sores went away but he still ate fruits but in lower quantities.

Perhaps it all depends on how an individual's body reacts.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1139 upvotes
Sugar is not intrinsically bad. Added sugar is simply empty calorie with no nutrition. Fruits have sugar, and loads of nutrition. nothing wrong with eating lots of fruits. Also, not all fruits are equal. Some are more nutritious than others.

Things like bread/rice are mostly filler. Yes they have some nutrition too but it's mostly going towards your calorie count. I'd say getting your calories from mostly fruits and vegetables is probably much healthier than a diet of mostly rice/bread and meats.

I am not aware of any lethal dosage of fruits. However, I suspect you'll get sick of the taste long before you reach that point.

Regarding comments on prices...I'd say a diet that consists mostly of fruits, even if you buy organic fruits, will be cheaper than a diet heavy on meats.

I would not worry too much. You are eating much healthier than maybe 70% of the people in this continent.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1434 posts
122 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
lecale wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 11:26 am
flyinggonzo wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 10:06 am
It's fine. Many vegans (not me) only eat fruit during the day.
Veganism is not a healthy diet. In Italy, parents face imprisonment for malnourishing their children through a vegan diet. http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/life ... ly-n627986
Sorry, citing a proposed bill from a politician as a source is not evidence, and bona fide research is easily found.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3874 posts
1715 upvotes
Dr. Michael Greger MD at nutrition.org basically answers the OP's question based on the latest research studies.

How Much Fruit is Too Much?

One of the studies cited above which included twenty servings of fruit a day plus vegetables and nuts was from Dr. David Jenkins who discusses the diet in this video.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks for all the feedbacks/suggestions. It seems that I am safe :) with my diet.