Automotive

Possible to extend G1 license by taking written test again?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 10:04 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2003
571 posts
209 upvotes
Ottawa

Possible to extend G1 license by taking written test again?

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to extend G1 license expiry by taking G1 written test again? My wife's G1 license is expiring in this August and I don't think she is ready for a G2 road test due to the COVID19 situation and lack of practice with a driving instructor. I know it is possible to extend G2 license by taking same road test again in the final year (and passing again).
2 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2956 posts
2370 upvotes
Markham
Your wife has to restart, also G2 no longer is allowed renewal this has changed from the past, must pass the exit test before expiry. So the smart thing to do now is instead of taking the G1 and let it expire another 5 years. Only do the G1 when your wife is committed to finishing to full G within the 1-2 years, I don't remember if they force the waiting period for lapsing the G1. The sooner this is done, if she wants to drive in the future, insurance history effectively begins when fully licensed. I procrastinated myself, I needed a kick in the behind to finish, although G2 terms were a bit more relaxed back then making the procrastination worse, regret not getting fully reduced insurance premiums sooner.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3867 posts
969 upvotes
Kingston
She's not that deep into the process of getting her license since G1 is the 1st phase. So she won't really be losing anything other than whatever progress she has made, if any, to go for her G2.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)