PC & Video Games

Is it possible have multiple accounts on Playstation Plus and Xbox Live Gold?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2018 3:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
22019 posts
1762 upvotes
Shanghai, China

Is it possible have multiple accounts on Playstation Plus and Xbox Live Gold?

Let's say there are two PS4s and two XB1 in a household. Is it possible to buy just one Playstation Plus subscription so that both PS4s can play online simultaneously? I have been told that is possible, but games that are bought digitally can only be played on one PS4 at a time? True or false?

Same set of questions, but now for Xbox One. Is it possible?

Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2696 upvotes
Toronto
For Xbox, two people can gameshare games and XBL Gold access... and it doesn't even have to be within the same household.

With PS4, you can share PS+ access across two systems in the same way I think... but not the games
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1878 posts
347 upvotes
North York
M1GOmigs wrote: For Xbox, two people can gameshare games and XBL Gold access... and it doesn't even have to be within the same household.

With PS4, you can share PS+ access across two systems in the same way I think... but not the games
PS4 works the same way. You can share games with one other PS4. Doing it with a friend.

Gamesharing only works on digital games. It was nice to see that BB will start selling digi games and hopefully have e3 sales on them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2696 upvotes
Toronto
spawn582 wrote: PS4 works the same way. You can share games with one other PS4. Doing it with a friend.

Gamesharing only works on digital games. It was nice to see that BB will start selling digi games and hopefully have e3 sales on them.
Wait, gamesharing works on PS4? Why don't people talk about it more then? Like, you can both play at the same time?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Sr. Member
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Wait, gamesharing works on PS4? Why don't people talk about it more then? Like, you can both play at the same time?
Because it's a stupid convoluted process of activating your account on your friend's PS4, etc. In other words, you better trust the other person hardcore.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2696 upvotes
Toronto
qualdoth wrote: Because it's a stupid convoluted process of activating your account on your friend's PS4, etc. In other words, you better trust the other person hardcore.
That's the same idea behind Xbone's system... basically making your friend's console your 'home' and vice versa... but my question is: Can games be played simultaneously on both consoles in the PS4 scenario?

Lots of people bring up the benefits of gamesharing on Xbox One, but nobody seems to bring it up on PS4... which leads me to believe that there must be some restrictions to it. Can anyone who's actually done it confirm? Like, if my friend and I each set it up on PS4, and I purchase a digital copy of Destiny, will we then both be able to play online with each other using the one digital copy?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1878 posts
347 upvotes
North York
It works the same way as the xbox one.

Yes to your scenario.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
22019 posts
1762 upvotes
Shanghai, China
spawn582 wrote: PS4 works the same way. You can share games with one other PS4. Doing it with a friend.

Gamesharing only works on digital games. It was nice to see that BB will start selling digi games and hopefully have e3 sales on them.
So let's say I buy the digital version of Tekken 7. Can that be played simultaneously on two PS4s?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1878 posts
347 upvotes
North York
Sgt_Strider wrote: So let's say I buy the digital version of Tekken 7. Can that be played simultaneously on two PS4s?
Yes
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
22019 posts
1762 upvotes
Shanghai, China
spawn582 wrote: Yes
Wow. That's awesome. Then what's the incentive for buying the physical copy of the game since two people can't play that simultaneously. The only thing that I can think of is that a physical copy can be traded in or sold in the resale market at a later point in time.

Again, just to make sure I understand the situation for Xbox One. If I buy the digital copy of Tekken 7 for Xbox One. It can be played on two Xbox Ones on Xbox Live Gold simultaneously? I'm assuming trophies and achievements can be earned for both accounts?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1878 posts
347 upvotes
North York
You nailed it. Retail stores generally have physical copies on sale and they can be traded or resold.

However, if you are gamesharing, you're basically paying half price since two of you split the costs.

Yes, digital games and the subs from both Xbox One and PS4 can be shared. Each player gets their own trophies and gamerscore.

There may be certain exceptions. The only one I've come across so far after doing this since the start of this gen was game trials. You needed to be logged in order to play them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
22019 posts
1762 upvotes
Shanghai, China
spawn582 wrote: You nailed it. Retail stores generally have physical copies on sale and they can be traded or resold.

However, if you are gamesharing, you're basically paying half price since two of you split the costs.

Yes, digital games and the subs from both Xbox One and PS4 can be shared. Each player gets their own trophies and gamerscore.

There may be certain exceptions. The only one I've come across so far after doing this since the start of this gen was game trials. You needed to be logged in order to play them.
From your experience, does the PSN and Xbox Live stores have as many sales on videogames as the B&M stores like BB/Amazon? Is it generally cheaper to buy from the retail stores or buy from the digital app stores?

It seems like we're talking about the similarities between PSN and Xbox Live Gold. What are the differences in terms of benefits between the two services when used with multiple consoles?

How do I share games with someone I know if we are both building our own digital libraries of games on both PSN and Xbox Live Gold?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
2287 posts
936 upvotes
Scarborough
Sgt_Strider wrote: From your experience, does the PSN and Xbox Live stores have as many sales on videogames as the B&M stores like BB/Amazon? Is it generally cheaper to buy from the retail stores or buy from the digital app stores?

It seems like we're talking about the similarities between PSN and Xbox Live Gold. What are the differences in terms of benefits between the two services when used with multiple consoles?

How do I share games with someone I know if we are both building our own digital libraries of games on both PSN and Xbox Live Gold?

Thanks!

There's also no Tax on PSN.

The home console can play the game offline, while the other account needs to be online.
i.e. your friend has your account on his PS4 as primary. He can play all your games (on his account) etc while your account is offline (or if the internet goes out). While you sign into your account and remain signed in/online you can play any of your games. and vise versa.
If only one user has PS+, Only the PS+ user can use online saves. the non PS+ user won't be able to upload their saves to the PS+ cloud save
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
22019 posts
1762 upvotes
Shanghai, China
supremekai wrote: There's also no Tax on PSN.

The home console can play the game offline, while the other account needs to be online.
i.e. your friend has your account on his PS4 as primary. He can play all your games (on his account) etc while your account is offline (or if the internet goes out). While you sign into your account and remain signed in/online you can play any of your games. and vise versa.
If only one user has PS+, Only the PS+ user can use online saves. the non PS+ user won't be able to upload their saves to the PS+ cloud save
Thanks for the explanation. Are the online saves a problem with Xbox Live Gold as well? In practice, is that limitation a big issue if only one user have PS+?

Do I have to pay tax on Xbox Live Gold purchases?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
2287 posts
936 upvotes
Scarborough
Sgt_Strider wrote: Thanks for the explanation. Are the online saves a problem with Xbox Live Gold as well? In practice, is that limitation a big issue if only one user have PS+?

Do I have to pay tax on Xbox Live Gold purchases?
I don't have a Xbox so don't know about that. Though I think free xbox live users get cloud saves.
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10547 posts
4770 upvotes
Microsoft and Nintendo do have store servers located in Canada therefore they have to charge and collect taxes on purchases.
There is no tax on Playstation store purchases in Canada because Sony does not have any digital store servers located in Canada.
If Sony had store servers in Canada, they would be required to collect tax and resubmit it to the Canadian government.
Sgt_Strider wrote: Thanks for the explanation. Are the online saves a problem with Xbox Live Gold as well? In practice, is that limitation a big issue if only one user have PS+?

Do I have to pay tax on Xbox Live Gold purchases?
Newbie
Oct 29, 2017
2 posts
Yes, Gameshare on Xbox one is easy and you can share your Xbox one game with your one friend/relative. Game sharing is an amazing feature present on Xbox one which let you share your all games with one and only one friend (or relatives). Both users can share games of Xbox one with each other and play all the titles which are available in-game libraries.

Top