Cell Phones

Is it possible to have a virus on my mobile device?(android) I clicked on a link

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 9:23 am
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
373 posts
223 upvotes

Is it possible to have a virus on my mobile device?(android) I clicked on a link

I booked a doctors appointment over the phone at 1:30pm. They told me that I will need to complete a form before coming into office.

I received a text message from them 1 minute after the call at 1:31pm so it seems to be real.

I clicked on the link from the text message to take a quick look and it does go to the site to fill out the form. But the link looks weird that looks similiar like https://abc.de/3QjhHf.

After clicking on that link, a day later I got a different text message (scam links for sure). Since it looks obvious. I deleted it.

I am wondering if my phone is affected with a virus/malware?

I have Bitdefender installed on my mobile and did a scan. Didn't find anything.

Do you recommend doing a factory reset on my mobile device?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1209 posts
2200 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
You should be fine if a scan found nothing providing you haven't rooted your phone. If you don't know what rooting your phone then you haven't done it and nothing to worry. I wouldn't reset the phone unless you have hard evidence that it's necessary.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
373 posts
223 upvotes
Thank you for the reply.

I will continue and monitor for now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
canada85000 wrote: I have Bitdefender installed on my mobile and did a scan. Didn't find anything.
Useless, delete it. Unless you click on a link and downloaded an apk file and actually installed it by bypassing the "install unknown apps" check you're fine.
Now there are ways of installing malware just by opening a message or clicking a link, but those are usually saved for people more important people than you.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
373 posts
223 upvotes
Thanks. Didnt download any apk file or install any unknown app.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12182 posts
6020 upvotes
Clicking on a like in a text or email can infact open a backdoor in your phone even without installing an unknown app.

However what you said seems perfectly fine with your doctor sending u a link right after you got off the phone with them. Dont see anything to worry about with that ...
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21022 posts
10531 upvotes
Oakville
Usually links like that are just using a URL shortening service, to make it easier to type it into a computer if you're not clicking the link directly on your phone. Much easier to type in "abc.de/3QjhHf" than "linktoyourdoctorsoffice.com/covid/intakeform.aspx" or whatever. You're fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1295 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah….this is why I highly recommended to my mother and father and all relatives who are of age to never buy an Android and just get even the cheapest iPhone.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21022 posts
10531 upvotes
Oakville
Varian wrote: Yeah….this is why I highly recommended to my mother and father and all relatives who are of age to never buy an Android and just get even the cheapest iPhone.
The OP doesn't have a virus, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove... But iOS certainly isn't inherently safer - Apple still can't seem to stop zero click exploits affecting their software - this article is from just a few days ago: The Stealthy iPhone Hacks That Apple Still Can't Stop And last month this came to light: New iPhone ‘Zero Day’ Hack Has Existed For Months.

There's no point getting into a "which one is safer" argument when they are both being exploited fairly regularly. Better to just teach the less tech savvy folks in our lives what they need to be cautious of, but realistically the odds of being targeted by a zero day or zero click exploit like the above are still relatively rare, it's much more likely that our senior parents will fall victim to a phishing attack (or having a commonly re-used password leaked).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)