Cell Phones

Is it possible to keep two iPhones in sync?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2018 2:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20499 posts
961 upvotes
Shanghai, China

Is it possible to keep two iPhones in sync?

If I am using two iPhones with one iCloud account, I'm wondering if it's possible to keep the call history, voice mail messages, and etc. in sync? This way I can easily switch phones when I have to?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5637 posts
5048 upvotes
Just like you would when you buy a new iPhone and want to transfer the information from your old one to your new one, back up the current phone on iTunes and put it on the one you want to use next. Otherwise, not that I am aware of.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20499 posts
961 upvotes
Shanghai, China
MrMom wrote: Just like you would when you buy a new iPhone and want to transfer the information from your old one to your new one, back up the current phone on iTunes and put it on the one you want to use next. Otherwise, not that I am aware of.
Let's say I do the backup on the IP7. When I take the sim card out and move it to the IPX, will the latest backup be downloaded and applied to the phone? Will the call history be updated?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5637 posts
5048 upvotes
Yes, call history, contacts, iMessages etc.

Here's how: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201269

But going forward, the old phone will not have the call history. iMessages have to be linked to your email address, not your phone number. You can always back up your IPX and apply it to your IP7 in the same way should you want to use your IP7, say on vacation.

Edit: I haven't tried this, but in theory, you could retain call information using "Continuity" across various Apple hardware even after you tsf phones. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204681
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Once apple releases iCloud messages most of your stuff should be able to sync if it can't already. The key right now it to use and add new contacts, etc to the iCloud account not local