Automotive

Is it possible to mail a speeding ticket dispute, today Jan 1st?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2021 11:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
3041 posts
143 upvotes
Vancouver

Is it possible to mail a speeding ticket dispute, today Jan 1st?

I got a speeding ticket on Dec 2nd 2020. My intention was to file for dispute but unfortunetly due to the holidays, It got put on the backburner and I forgot about it.... until just now. today is day 30. the ticket says is needs my dispute received or postmarked by today. Unfortunately the post office is closed, and it does not look like I can file for dispute online, but am required to do so by snail mail for some reason.

Is there anything that can be done here, or should I just pay the ticket (They let me pay the ticket online of course, and if I pay it now its $25 off less)

Ticket is $253 in BC for reference/
6 replies
Nov 10, 2019
395 posts
314 upvotes
If you pay right away, it's not just the cost of the fine. Be aware that your insurance will go up.

Have you checked this link for BC? It says what you can do if you didn't file for dispute after 30 days.

link
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1519 posts
352 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Any drugstores open with a postal outlet in it ? You may be able to mail it from there.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1503 posts
2073 upvotes
Don't know about BC but here in Quebec if you ignore the ticket, don't send payment or admit guilt within 30 days its automatically disputed. Next letter you get is a court date sometime in the next 2 years lol
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1519 posts
352 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
RaphaelG041 wrote: Don't know about BC but here in Quebec if you ignore the ticket, don't send payment or admit guilt within 30 days its automatically disputed. Next letter you get is a court date sometime in the next 2 years lol
It’s different here in AB: if you ignore the ticket, you’ll be convicted in your absence. If you haven’t paid within 72 hours after that, they’ll charge a late penalty fine on top of the original charge, of either $20 or 20%, whatever is more.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5559 posts
4008 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
kimchibowl wrote: If you pay right away, it's not just the cost of the fine. Be aware that your insurance will go up.

Have you checked this link for BC? It says what you can do if you didn't file for dispute after 30 days.

link
In B.C., speeding tickets do not increase your insurance. There’sa separate charge if you exceed 4 points in a 12 month period, you pay a one time fee.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1393 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
It's business days.