• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 2:55 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2005
869 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary

Possible to Recover photos Samsung S7?

A friend asked if I could try to recover photos from a crashed samsung s7. The phone wont boot but can enter android recovery. My current plan unless someone knows a better way is to do a factory reset and then try to use some photo recovery software. Is there a way to recover the files from the recovery menu? If not does anyone have a suggestion for the best software or way to recover the photos. As far as i know the photos are not backed up on google photos or cloud and she is 70 years old and just wants to get back pictures of her grandchildren.

Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4576 posts
1937 upvotes
GTA
If you do a factory reset you're less likely to recovery anything as it wipes all the partitions, did your grandma try to root the phone or something, why can't it boot? Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?
I have a feeling you're outta luck if you can't boot the phone, your data in encrypted. I was thinking of installing twrp in download mode but if i remember correctly one of the steps involved is to wipe data since twrp can't read the user partitions. I'd go into the xda s7 forum and ask around.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1355 posts
245 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
If you enter recovery mode and then connect the device to your computer via USB, try ADB and see if it recognizes the device.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2267 posts
1317 upvotes
Calgary
robertz wrote: If you enter recovery mode and then connect the device to your computer via USB, try ADB and see if it recognizes the device.
A good step for sure. Also, when you say it doesn't boot, is it just staying on the Samsung screen?
[OP]
Feb 16, 2005
869 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
Phone had no password. I tried did factory reset then rooted then tried data recovery programs. No luck :( set it to backup to google photos and samsung cloud for her from now on. The way i would try in the future is maybe to do and update from an sd and hope that maintained existing data. Yes it was stuck at samsung screen.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21586 posts
3471 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You should have tried using ODIN to flash a custom recovery and then use that to transfer files to SD card or via ADB with a USB cable.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: You should have tried using ODIN to flash a custom recovery and then use that to transfer files to SD card or via ADB with a USB cable.
This was the answer. Flash a recovery on top. ADB command line copy the files off the phone...

Also, the S7 has an SD slot. Why didnt she just use that for her photos?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4576 posts
1937 upvotes
GTA
taro-chan wrote: This was the answer. Flash a recovery on top. ADB command line copy the files off the phone...

Also, the S7 has an SD slot. Why didnt she just use that for her photos?
The files are encrypted by default on the s7 until you unlock the phone, so pulling anything from recovery wont work. Also the recovery won't see the files because it can't decrypt them, you have to wipe the partitions and disable encryption and then you can pull files from the phone, but then they're lost due to the wipe.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2267 posts
1317 upvotes
Calgary
If there was a password, recovery would ask for that on startup. As for using an SD card, most non-techies probably don't ever put an SD card in their phone. "Why buy storage when I've got enough in here?"

(I do think they should, but that's a different matter entirely)
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
If there was no password on the phone, wouldn't the phone not be encrypted? That would mean that TWRP would work without wiping?
Current device: Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
On Freedom Mobile - $45/22GB + $0 Google Pixel 3
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
shabby wrote: The files are encrypted by default on the s7 until you unlock the phone, so pulling anything from recovery wont work. Also the recovery won't see the files because it can't decrypt them, you have to wipe the partitions and disable encryption and then you can pull files from the phone, but then they're lost due to the wipe.
Looking more at this, yes, the S7 is encrypted by default so you will need to flash more then just the recovery. Flashing the complete firmware lineup back on the phone should work.