4545 upvotes
Linus live streaming about it
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6575 posts
5161 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote: Linus live streaming about it
I blame Linus for it too. He must've known about NCIX's bad practices. He had a personal connection to Steve. Yet he didn't push for them to handle their customers' data with proper care.

In my view, anyone who wasn't a very low grade employee shares in the guilt.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1951 posts
1872 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: I blame Linus for it too. He must've knowin about NCIX's bad practices. He had a personal connection to Steve. Yet he didn't push for them to handle their customers' data with proper care.

In my view, anyone who wasn't a very low grade employee shares in the guilt.
He was product manager and youtuber. How the hell would he know what their admins are doing in the backend.
Even if he made suggestion to owner, nothing would have been done, unless suggestions are made by owner's "family" member.
Typical Asian company culture. Which is why he left.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4278 posts
1643 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Dreamrider wrote: He was product manager and youtuber. How the hell would he know what their admins are doing in the backend.
Even if he made suggestion to owner, nothing would have been done, unless suggestions are made by owner's "family" member.
Typical Asian company culture. Which is why he left.
Linus has talked in the past about suggestions he made that were completely ignored. He has said that he felt that some of the suggestions might have avoided the inevitable bankruptcy, which he saw coming long before...thus, as you said, he left.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
2114 posts
215 upvotes
Finally on CBC Newsworld this morning. It's in heavy rotation as all their pre-recorded every few hours canned news is now but at least its out there.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21226 posts
2517 upvotes
Toronto
crap......bought plenty of stuff from NCIX back in the day....had to look through my emails to see what addresses and CCs i used.

Most are old but still - terribad how NCIX was managing this - scary to think about other online retailers I'm using....will need to monitor closely and I have one CC that I need to change....good grief....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8611 posts
1081 upvotes
I shopped their and my cc was compromised about a year ago. To be honest, since this was never encrypted and was sitting there in a plain text file, info could have been sold and access long time ago, over and over and over again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9314 posts
10868 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think enough blame is being laid on the creditors for this fiasco. If creditors move to seize assets like servers that include data, then those creditors should be responsible for protecting the data that is now in their possession. If they don't want to take on that responsibility then they should stick to seizing office furniture and the coffee maker.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21067 posts
15012 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kiraly wrote: I don't think enough blame is being laid on the creditors for this fiasco. If creditors move to seize assets like servers that include data, then those creditors should be responsible for protecting the data that is now in their possession. If they don't want to take on that responsibility then they should stick to seizing office furniture and the coffee maker.
First, you're probably confusing creditor [a person or company to whom money is owed] with receiver [a person who settles the affairs of a corporation during reorganization or bankruptcy.] I don't see how "creditors" were anything but victims in NCIX's demise. [Full disclosure: I'm a creditor of sorts because I lost a healthy Rewards points balance ;) ]

Second, we don't know exactly what happened and when it happened. The data could have been pulled off NCIX's servers before they officially went bust so that no matter what the receiver did or didn't do would have been moot. By all means the police need to determine what happened and lay serious charges against those who did it. But blaming it on the allegedly negligence of the receiver is premature.

Consider too that there would have been lots of brand new computers and hard disks sitting on NCIX's shelves for the thieves to use to create and store the backups. What an opportunity ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9314 posts
10868 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote: First, you're probably confusing creditor [a person or company to whom money is owed] with receiver [a person who settles the affairs of a corporation during reorganization or bankruptcy.] I don't see how "creditors" were anything but victims in NCIX's demise. [Full disclosure: I'm a creditor of sorts because I lost a healthy Rewards points balance ;) ]

Second, we don't know exactly what happened and when it happened. The data could have been pulled off NCIX's servers before they officially went bust so that no matter what the receiver did or didn't do would have been moot. By all means the police need to determine what happened and lay serious charges against those who did it. But blaming it on the allegedly negligence of the receiver is premature.

Consider too that there would have been lots of brand new computers and hard disks sitting on NCIX's shelves for the thieves to use to create and store the backups. What an opportunity ;)
Yes we don't know exactly what happened or the details of the bankruptcy proceedings. But one possible scenario I can imagine is a court-ordered seizure of NCIX's assets could have locked out NCIX's staff before they had a chance to securely destroy the data. If that's what happened then it would seem that a majority of the blame for the data leak would be shifted onto the creditors (or to the receiver or whomever became the legal owner of the servers and data on them).