Cell Phones

Possible to "upgrade" Moto E 2nd generation?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 6:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
371 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal

Possible to "upgrade" Moto E 2nd generation?

We're using the old Moto E 2nd gen (XT1527) on Android 6, can barely install 2 small APPs and insufficient memory. We don't do much on phone, just COVID alert + supermarket APPs, would be nice to install Fongo and Textnow again.

Found following on youtube. Comments? Should I install Android 9 Pie or Lineage OS 16?

I did upgrade laptop from Windows 7 to Windows10 myself. No experience on phones, not that tech savvy. Would appreciate more detailed instructions.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by MontrealPost on Oct 24th, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1824 posts
981 upvotes
Google "xda developers", should give you a full instructions.

Along with risks & troubleshooting involved.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
371 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks, I've just found xda and Lineage OS 17.

I'm not tech savvy with phone/Android. Should I install Android 9 or Lineage OS per above video+XDA? (will watch video tomorrow, not sure if video is for 2 different OS or just one) Moto E2 (XT1527) is quite old, if I prefer a phone that runs a bit smooth, what OS(anything other than Lineage?) should I install and which version? Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1840 posts
819 upvotes
London
MontrealPost wrote: We're using the old Moto E 2nd gen (XT1527) on Android 6, can barely install 2 small APPs and insufficient memory.
I was using that same phone until recently, and the issues you describe got worse until I moved on to something else.
It seemed apps/updates just keep getting bigger.
I doubt you'll have much luck.
I like the phone, but it's time has gone.

An OS update is likely to use more space.
I think it can be rooted, but there isn't a lot of clutter to get rid of.

I could clear space by clearing caches, but it was a constant game.
I tried using Adoptable Storage, to increase the space, with some success.
It helps, but it seemed like not all apps could use that space.

I'd say it is time to move on.
Even if you can clear space, I found the battery life was decreasing and you may be up against that.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4142 posts
1492 upvotes
GTA
The XT1527 doesn't have an unlockable bootloader, motorola wont unlock the canadian phones, so you can't install anything, either delete as many useless apps on the phone or get something newer.
Apr 25, 2019
247 posts
332 upvotes
Just buy a Moto E (2020) can be had for under $160.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
371 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal
Thank you all for the great answers. I did suspect "upgrading" Moto E2 may not worth it, thanks for re-confirming!
Dec 30, 2017
39 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary AB
Moto e 2020!

I totally agree with Leif's suggestion. The Moto e 2020 went down to as low as $120. I picked one up yesterday for $140 at London Drugs (Chatr version) and it's a really fantastic phone for the money. You really can't do better (i.e. Brand new, 1yr warranty, and bought from a retailer) for such a small sum of money. Heck, even buying a China phone (say Redmi 9A) will cost more these days.

As for the Moto E2, I actually unlocked the bootloader, installed LineageOS on it and gave it to my kid, so it can be done. The end result was a phone that worked as a phone but with not much space left as the OS is huge. Too bad my kid broke the phone and I couldn't repair it despite ordering a replacement screen... :(

You should have keep it around and experiment with it. Lots of instructions online to walk you through.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)