Computers & Electronics

Possible to use CIK IPTV Box without CIK Internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 12:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes

Possible to use CIK IPTV Box without CIK Internet?

One of my friends is using CIK as their Internet + IPTV + VOIP phone provider. They have two CIK IPTV media boxes that they were using.

If I'm on Shaw, would my friend's CIK IPTV media box work on my Shaw Internet line? Or does the CIK IPTV media box authenticate itself by IP address and works only if you are on CIK Internet?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
The CRTC mandates that legal IPTV service can only be provided by the same ISP that provides your internet service. That's what allows them to be designated a legal "broadcaster". So no, CIK cannot provide their IPTV service via Shaw.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Arrow wrote: One of my friends is using CIK as their Internet + IPTV + VOIP phone provider. They have two CIK IPTV media boxes that they were using.

If I'm on Shaw, would my friend's CIK IPTV media box work on my Shaw Internet line? Or does the CIK IPTV media box authenticate itself by IP address and works only if you are on CIK Internet?
Take one. Hook it up. See if it works.

If it works ... Great! If it doesn't ... Too bad.

There is no harm in trying. What are they going to do? Sue you?
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2