Home & Garden

Post office box at house before moving in cause a problem?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2015 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6103 posts
649 upvotes
SW Ontario

Post office box at house before moving in cause a problem?

Hey guys. I can't find any info on this and can't get an answer.

We are moving into a house in a different town. That house is services by a PO box (not community box) located in the town's post office. Calling canada post, they said I couldn't set up my PO box (as it will differ from the previous owners). The local post office told me to come in anytime to set it up in advance so I can change address for mailing things. So that's what we did. We set it up today.

My question, I'm concerned one of us (me or the previous owner) could get booted from the box. Otherwise what is stopping someone from setting up multiple PO boxes for free? And what is stopping the previous owner from holding onto the box as the post office would never know when they are moving out?

I just showed my driver licence and house agreement purchase for the new house.

Thanks for anyone that can point me to the details on this. I just don't want to forward my mail to a PO box only to find out when I get there in two months that it was cancelled due to being a douplicate address.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Canada post is so stupid. Had so many problems when I moved into a community they couldn't figure out the proper mailbox for me. Retards. I still feel like some mail goes to my wrong box
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10769 posts
2848 upvotes
Nowhere
Which is all the more reason mail should come to your door. No confusion there.

I recently saw a news story where a neighbourhood couldn't get mail for weeks because a tree fell on the community mailbox. They couldn't get a replacement box and wouldn't deliver to people's houses claiming that people no longer had mailboxes. I think most people still have mailboxes for the community paper and flyers that come door to door. At the very least, the mail should have gone to the local post office for pick up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6103 posts
649 upvotes
SW Ontario
no kidding. You guys are talking about community mailboxes. At least those are 'connected' to your house. They don't change when people move in or out. This PO box in the post office changes to a different box when people move in or out. So I guess I'm wondering from anyone that has one of these, these days, do you need to re-register it every year? That would answer my original questions.

Mine says that it's for one year, renewal date is next summer.

It's so stupid in this town. Some houses have PO boxes, some home deliver, and some community mailboxes. In fact, further down my street they have CMB, but our house doesn't (despite it being around the same age). It's been a pain just verifying availability of services for internet etc, because my address doesn't actually have a postal code attached! and the postal code for my PO box is different than the one of the post office it's located in, and different than my area. lol.. So needless to say, the address verification part of the Teksavvy Internet form isn't going easy..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6692 posts
1367 upvotes
I moved to a small town which has a small Post Office and my mailbox is located there along with everyone else's in this area. The original home owner's mail box didn't get reassigned. I was given a brand "new" one and my physical street address was registered to it (sometimes you get mail where the street address was used rather than the box number). I assume the previous owners changed their associated information of their box number to their new home.

Once a year I get a renewal notice card in my box and I wander over to the postal counter and renew my box for another year. There used to be a card I had to sign but now it's on computer. They simple get me to confirm that I'm still using the box and will need it for another year and then they enter that into their computer screen and that's that and I'm on my way for another year. Very simple. If someday i move and don't need it any more I imagine they'll change the lock on the box and eventually re-assign it to someone else. The postal code is very simple since everyone in town gets their mail here and everyone, including the Post Office itself, has the same postal code.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6103 posts
649 upvotes
SW Ontario
woof wrote: I moved to a small town which has a small Post Office and my mailbox is located there along with everyone else's in this area. The original home owner's mail box didn't get reassigned. I was given a brand "new" one and my physical street address was registered to it (sometimes you get mail where the street address was used rather than the box number). I assume the previous owners changed their associated information of their box number to their new home.

Once a year I get a renewal notice card in my box and I wander over to the postal counter and renew my box for another year. There used to be a card I had to sign but now it's on computer. They simple get me to confirm that I'm still using the box and will need it for another year and then they enter that into their computer screen and that's that and I'm on my way for another year. Very simple. If someday i move and don't need it any more I imagine they'll change the lock on the box and eventually re-assign it to someone else. The postal code is very simple since everyone in town gets their mail here and everyone, including the Post Office itself, has the same postal code.
Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know. I originally hadn't noticed my 'rental' form does have that expiry. So that makes sense, they weed out unused boxes when people don't 'renew' them. So I'll have to watch for that :) I'm not sure why the postal codes are so confusing in this town, guess it's a big town for a place with PO boxes relatively. They at least go into 1200+ PO box number (it doesn't look like that many there though, but a few banks of them at least). So it must just be to make sorting easier. If I put my postal code in the CP postal lookup, it actually has a STN MAIN with my address. But the rental form doesn't say that. I think there are PO boxes of some kind at a variety store down the street that has a postal outlet of some sort listed in it. TSI will just have to do some extra work to verify service to the address that's all I guess.

As far as the locks, I asked that when I got the keys. She said since the keys can't be copied, they only need to change the locks when someone doesn't return both keys (then they charge then $15 to do so) that said, my keys feel sharp and brand new. So I'm sure the lock got changed anyways.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)