Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2022 12:08 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48709 posts
12144 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Since I am going to smoke whole mackerel this weekend, would like to try this brine on some to test the flavour. What were the rations?
I honestly just wing it.
But the order from most to least is

Water, sake, soy sauce, salt.
Soy sauce and salt are the least bc i find mackeral naturally salty.

You wash it off anyways...
But its reintroduced with the sake+soy sauce glaze.
Asian super markets have a 750ml bottle of cooking sake for $7
Might be cheaper then the cheapest bottle of sake @ lcbo.
If thats not available... asian coooking wine works too.

Its a western take on a classic Japanese/Korean dish. The restaurants always serve this with rice and a bunch of pickled veggies like kim chi.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28660 posts
14205 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Buns made with fried chicken cutlet.
Someone did that with tacos at CNE apparently.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2776 posts
854 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: They have that? O_O
Now i’m even happier with my weber purchase... so much selection!!!
they do indeed! Bought ours quite a few years ago at Home Depot I think...outside of it not being round, lol, the pizza is amazing. We play around with different types, but I am pretty boring. Apple or Cherry wood works great. 3 minute pizzas
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4584 posts
2638 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Inspired by the other burger above, here mine from last night. This is using marina del Rey wild tuna burgers. I posted about these before. Both shrimp and tuna and equally great.
Images
  • IMG_20190815_204724_963.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12055 posts
6049 upvotes
I just picked up the 22" weber kettle for $75 ( HD price match). Gonna put it together when I get home. Wifey doesn't know yet, but you know. Forgiveness easier than permission.

Excited to get it going. I have no experience with charcoal. What do I need to know / accessories I need to buy?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16936 posts
11666 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: I just picked up the 22" weber kettle for $75 ( HD price match). Gonna put it together when I get home. Wifey doesn't know yet, but you know. Forgiveness easier than permission.

Excited to get it going. I have no experience with charcoal. What do I need to know / accessories I need to buy?
LOL comment re wifey. Even after you use it, at that price you can sell it used on Kijiji and not lose any money.

You need a chimney starter to light that charcoal.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12055 posts
6049 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Inspired by the other burger above, here mine from last night. This is using marina del Rey wild tuna burgers. I posted about these before. Both shrimp and tuna and equally great.
Looks delicious. Presentation is fantastic as well.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12055 posts
6049 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: LOL comment re wifey. Even after you use it, at that price you can sell it used on Kijiji and not lose any money.

The only experience I have with charcoal is at Darien Lake, and I used those "match ready" briquettes. Should I be using something else,? Or do they work better with the chimney?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16936 posts
11666 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: The only experience I have with charcoal is at Darien Lake, and I used those "match ready" briquettes. Should I be using something else,? Or do they work better with the chimney?
Don't need match ready....get non lighter fluid briquettes and the chimney starter.

Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4584 posts
2638 upvotes
Milton, ON.
gr8dlr wrote: LOL comment re wifey. Even after you use it, at that price you can sell it used on Kijiji and not lose any money.

Is a chimney starter a must have for this or the smokey joe?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2776 posts
854 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I just picked up the 22" weber kettle for $75 ( HD price match). Gonna put it together when I get home. Wifey doesn't know yet, but you know. Forgiveness easier than permission.

stroll the Weber section at Barbeque World in Vaughan and go crazy...chimney starter, briquettes, Weber starter cubes, baskets, etc...lots you can buy it's a matter of budget.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2776 posts
854 upvotes
more bbq stuff.. one of our favs. Cherry smoked on Lodge Cast iron Wok
Images
  • 20190816_183307.jpg
  • 20190816_182311.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3763 posts
561 upvotes
Leuven
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Is a chimney starter a must have for this or the smokey joe?
Not completely necessary. My chimney broke about a year back and now I just pile up my charcoal and put my firestarter under the charcoal, below the grate. When everything is going I will spread the charcoal out. Not as fast or as good though. For slower cooks I make a bit of a snake of the charcoal and put my firestarter under the grate at one end of the snake and start it that way. For firestarter I use old paper towel and soak with old frying old.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48709 posts
12144 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote: The only experience I have with charcoal is at Darien Lake, and I used those "match ready" briquettes. Should I be using something else,? Or do they work better with the chimney?
A charcoal chimney will help you start a batch of coals in 15 minute tops. Lots of vids of youtube “how to use charcoal chimney”.

I find lump charcoal the best because of the taste. They also have less dust.
Briquettes burn longer, but not as hot as lump.

Its a matter of personal preference. Maybe people are happy just cooking over any type of coals, as it gives that smokey taste.

Some like a more robust deep smoke flavor. ThTs where the lump and added wood come into play.

I recommend this as an accessory

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cole ... 2329p.html

It Allows you to easily offset coals to the side. This allows you to cook And smoke your food with indirect heat.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48709 posts
12144 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
damn... to my bbq bro's and sisters (are there any here?).
I'm obsessed with my weber...
I paid $50 for my set... But I think I'm going to spend $150 souping it up!

I found these

$49.99 USD on Amazon.com

$29.99 USD on Amazon.com

Luckily both from the same seller... It says $15 USD for combined shipping to Canada.

This will make life soooo much easier. I think I Could also do pro-longed smoke outs with this ceramic plate. I could easily make a big pile of coals off to one side. The larger pile of coals should help the coals stay lit longer. If some of the coals roll over to the other side, i won't worry too much. The ceramic plate setter will help protect the meat from direct heat, and also help dissipate the heat evenly. It looks like it will actually allow me to cook larger pieces meat!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12055 posts
6049 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: A charcoal chimney will help you start a batch of coals in 15 minute tops. Lots of vids of youtube “how to use charcoal chimney”.

I find lump charcoal the best because of the taste. They also have less dust.
Briquettes burn longer, but not as hot as lump.

Its a matter of personal preference. Maybe people are happy just cooking over any type of coals, as it gives that smokey taste.

Some like a more robust deep smoke flavor. ThTs where the lump and added wood come into play.

I recommend this as an accessory

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cole ... 2329p.html

It Allows you to easily offset coals to the side. This allows you to cook And smoke your food with indirect heat.
Will these also eliminate the need for a chimney? Can you just start the charcoal in them?

Never mind, just bought them, and the chimney, an about another $70 worth of stuff. This "good deal bbq" is starting to get expensive.
Apr 11, 2017
290 posts
286 upvotes
London, ON
Brisket day in London.

Not the best pic, can do more when the smoke is done. But I split the flat and point, didn't do a great job,will do better next time. The pic was taken about 3 hours into the smoke.

The point is through the stall now, been on for 6.5 hours on a mix of cherry, hickory and maple.

Brisket is a favorite around here, aside from waking up super early to get it in the smoker.
Images
  • 20190817_111541.jpg
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16936 posts
11666 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Will these also eliminate the need for a chimney? Can you just start the charcoal in them?

Never mind, just bought them, and the chimney, an about another $70 worth of stuff. This "good deal bbq" is starting to get expensive.
All the money you spent could be recovered vs two eats for four at Adamson BBQ. You're saving lots vs eating out and the food will be 100x better.

Happy BBQ'ing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)