• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 11:34 am
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16913 posts
11633 upvotes
Markham
redsfan wrote: Spatchcock Turkey... bit of Apple smoke.... perfection
That's not spatchcock....unless you named the turkey "Spatchcock".

Do ppl find that almost any food smoked tastes a bit like ham?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48672 posts
12086 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gr8dlr wrote: That's not spatchcock....unless you named the turkey "Spatchcock".

When i first started smoking food... i thought everything tasted like bacon.

Then over time my palette changed and diversify. You can kinda taste whats what

Over smoked = bitter, sour
Sweet smoke = yummy apple, cherry or fruit woods (my favourite)
Savoury smoke = hickory and mesquite

If you use a lot of hickory that reminds me the most of ham and bacon...
I used to use just hickory and mesquite woods. I thought smokier is better. But not really... My personal preference is now apple and cherry wood. But mostly apple wood because its cheaper. Haha.

I used to use chips... but discovered that they are ill suited for longer cooks. But they are great to flavour quickly grilled foods. Like if i’m doing a quick grill of chicken for dinner @ 375F. It cooks in 30-45 minutes... so i use wood chips because they burn off in like 15-20 minutes. Enough to give the food a quick smokey flavor blast! I feel a wood chunk would be a waste for this type because it smoulders for a solid hr +
gr8dlr wrote: Since it clips to the side of the BBQ and it's made of metal - doesn't it get hot?
Yes... it does get hot.
Something i didnt think about. So you can’t leave your beer there.
I might mod it... i wood not mind adding some wood on top.... hehehehehe
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7101 posts
8583 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not quite conventional bbq, but grilled some asparagus and green onion wrapped in bacon, transferred to a hot cast iron towards the end and finished it by throwing some cheese and pepper at it

When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6947 posts
4216 upvotes
Between Countries
aeba7 wrote: Not quite conventional bbq, but grilled some asparagus and green onion wrapped in bacon, transferred to a hot cast iron towards the end and finished it by throwing some cheese and pepper at it

Damn, that looks good! Nice presentation, too. It almost looks like a western interpretation of Japanese Negimaki (green onion or other veggies wrapped in grilled beef). I should give this a try.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48672 posts
12086 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
DiceMan wrote: Damn, that looks good! Nice presentation, too. It almost looks like a western interpretation of Japanese Negimaki (green onion or other veggies wrapped in grilled beef). I should give this a try.
Cheese is trendy in Japan and Korea now.
I wouldnt be surprised if theres a shop over there that also whipped up a dish like this!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6414 posts
785 upvotes
BC
gr8dlr wrote:

Not at all, and good thing, I dont like ham.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7101 posts
8583 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The inspiration was definitely drawn from a recent ayce sushi meal that served green onion wrapped in beef

I figured the texture of the asparagus would compliment the green onion well, and the crispy bacon would add some meaty, salty contrast. The cheese was a last minute oh-crap-this-is-gonna-expire-soon-might-as-well-toss-it-on decision lol
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2751 posts
836 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: That's not spatchcock....unless you named the turkey "Spatchcock".

theads

Nevef thought to name a turkey, lol....only way to do them to be honest. Wish I would have bought a bigger one, was one of the best. Also thought my wife use Meathreads brine recipe, but the only brine was a Lowe's rub. I hate ham and never taste it in any meat I cook
Aug 12, 2012
872 posts
429 upvotes
Richmond Hill
As an appetizer for thanksgiving, I made some bacon wrapped meatballs with a honey bbq glaze

Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7101 posts
8583 upvotes
Richmond Hill
holy crap those look incredible
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16913 posts
11633 upvotes
Markham
Frank311 wrote: As an appetizer for thanksgiving, I made some bacon wrapped meatballs with a honey bbq glaze

Nice. I think it might be fun to put some small thai chili's in some of them...call it the "chili roulette game".
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12022 posts
6002 upvotes
Forgot to show what we did with that pemeal bacon from Monday night. Didn't touch it that night, but last night turned it into some hot chilly-cheesey sandwiches.
Images
  • MVIMG_20191015_173701.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191015_183724.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191015_180031.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48672 posts
12086 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote: Forgot to show what we did with that pemeal bacon from Monday night. Didn't touch it that night, but last night turned it into some hot chilly-cheesey sandwiches.
Ooo i love pork sandwiches!
Whenever i do peamea i make it super simple...
Extra ham + extra mustard
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1658 posts
4088 upvotes
Rotisseried a 20lb turkey using the "JoeTisserie" and some apple wood chunks.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
7329 posts
2365 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: Not quite conventional bbq, but grilled some asparagus and green onion wrapped in bacon, transferred to a hot cast iron towards the end and finished it by throwing some cheese and pepper at it

Healthy balanced meal

**Drool.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3763 posts
561 upvotes
Leuven
Hambone wrote: Rotisseried a 20lb turkey using the "JoeTisserie" and some apple wood chunks.
That looks incredible! I assume that you are cooking directly over the coals? How was the skin on the bird? Toughest part with smoking poultry for me is getting a good skin but being able to cook right over the coals would help a lot I imagine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1658 posts
4088 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: That looks incredible! I assume that you are cooking directly over the coals? How was the skin on the bird? Toughest part with smoking poultry for me is getting a good skin but being able to cook right over the coals would help a lot I imagine.
Yeah, directly over the coals, not too much though. I occasionally added a few chunks of new coal during the cook. The skin was crispy like any rotisseried bird ends up, bit more for this one because it was so thick. I did a 10lb turkey prior to this one, overall it turned out better (less skin burning) because it wasn't as big. Chickens turn out perfect! I recommend always trussing the bird.

The thing with a bird that large is you have to make sure you truss it very snug and really tighten the forks screws, I used pliers to get them as tight as possible. So unless the bird is perfectly centered on the spit the forks can come undone (from jerking) and the spit rod will just end up spinning burning the one side of the bird. It didn't happen to me, I just read on another forum it happened to someone else.

You do lose the ability to make gravy from the drippings, unless you shape a foil drip pan to cover half of the firebox while the coals are on the other half. The Kamado Joe comes with a fire basket that has a divider, I guess you could shape out a foil drip tray on one side and see how much you catch.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12022 posts
6002 upvotes
Trying out my new side table, with some homemade burgers and sausages.
Images
  • MVIMG_20191020_124907.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191020_163900.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191020_164032.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191020_165729.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191020_170426.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191020_171423.jpg
  • MVIMG_20191020_181044.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)