Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 3:48 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2503 posts
307 upvotes
Whitby
Anyone else notice an increase in all the "bonus" materials in their charcoal?
I am pretty loyal to the Nature's Own - 1. Costco has it for a reasonable price 2. It provides nice, long, even heat.
This is the accumulation from about 3 bags since September. I told my wife I am saving them to extend the interlock patio Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Images
  • 20190105_135816.jpg
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3391 posts
197 upvotes
Adelaide
Did up everything for chicken caesar salad on the grill. Chicken, bacon and croutons.

Dec 26, 2007
82 posts
22 upvotes
raymondly wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 3:33 pm
I am pretty loyal to the Nature's Own - 1. Costco has it for a reasonable price 2. It provides nice, long, even heat.
I can't comment on Natures Own, but I have had to recently switch from Maple Leaf as the last few bags had so much crumble in it, it made even lighting it a chore. I tried a bag of Green Egg, and while pretty expensive it seems to be pretty good after a few smokes.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39860 posts
3924 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
raymondly wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 3:33 pm
This is the accumulation from about 3 bags since September. I told my wife I am saving them to extend the interlock patio Smiling Face With Open Mouth
What are these?
I always just buy the cheapest bag of lump charcoal from walmart & i’ve never seen these...
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2503 posts
307 upvotes
Whitby
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:13 pm
What are these?
I always just buy the cheapest bag of lump charcoal from walmart & i’ve never seen these...
A few parts of the kiln the charcoal is made in and various rocks.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3391 posts
197 upvotes
Adelaide
Made some Bak Kwa. Dried in oven then grilled. Actually wasn't amazing, tasted a bit dry/chalky? I did take a lot of the sugar out of the recipe which may have added to the problem, but maybe just overcooked? Not sure if over dried or over grilled.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39860 posts
3924 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
BongoBong wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 10:12 am
Made some Bak Kwa. Dried in oven then grilled. Actually wasn't amazing, tasted a bit dry/chalky? I did take a lot of the sugar out of the recipe which may have added to the problem, but maybe just overcooked? Not sure if over dried or over grilled.

Moisture might be the culprit. How lean was the ground meat you used?
And yah the sugar helps. I use honey actually... and brush on a glaze to seal it in.
P.s. this is the singaporean style beef jerky made with ground meat correct?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6107 posts
3324 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Bongobong, it looks like there's no snow where you are! Also, the Caesar salad fixings looked amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6335 posts
1178 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:

What exactly is that? It looks tasty!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39860 posts
3924 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
-7 without windchill in Toronto tonight...
I giggle a little when people say its too cold. Ok -20 then i’ll bitch a little.
I’m still going to smoke this duck!

-Wet Brined for 3 hours with just salt and bay leaves in the water
-dumped brine then marinaded overnight with clubhouse mtl steak spice wet rub
-unwrapped it this morning to leave in the fridge to dry.

Its 6pm right now. Lets see how this turns out with my ghetto picnic portable weber bbq setup!

applewood is the smoke of the day!

Including a 1/3rd gram of Alaskan Thunder Fook to pass the time & unwind. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5019 posts
1320 upvotes
Aurora
BongoBong wrote:

Visually, it looks pretty good to me. Though, I wouldn't grill it over flames. I'd put the sugar (or honey) back in and grill over indirect heat. Also, (and I've overestimated the time to doneness lots of times) , the jerky continues to dehydrate after it's removed from the heat so I have to remind myself to stop grilling before they reach the texture and flavour I want, which is sweet/sticky/soft and not like the the much drier western jerky,

Here's are pics of the last time I did this type of jerky: bulk-beef-jerky-2174507/3/#p30070913
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6142 posts
1602 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 6:01 pm
I giggle a little when people say its too cold. Ok -20 then i’ll bitch a little.

Its 6pm right now. Lets see how this turns out with my ghetto picnic portable weber bbq setup!

Looking forward to the pics tomorrow.

Try pouring boiling hot water over the duck skin before putting it into the fridge to dry out. It will make the skin crispier.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3391 posts
197 upvotes
Adelaide
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:53 am

Moisture might be the culprit. How lean was the ground meat you used?
And yah the sugar helps. I use honey actually... and brush on a glaze to seal it in.
P.s. this is the singaporean style beef jerky made with ground meat correct?
Yeah, made with ground pork. Not sure the fat percentage as chinese butcher doesn't mention it, but definitely not a lean blend.
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:13 pm
Bongobong, it looks like there's no snow where you are! Also, the Caesar salad fixings looked amazing.
Actually living in Australia currently, so definitely no snow. 40 degrees out this way!
Gutty96 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 5:28 pm
What exactly is that? It looks tasty!
Basically ground pork "jerky". Mixed with seasonings, rolled out flat, dehydated a bit and then grilled.
DiceMan wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 6:07 pm
Visually, it looks pretty good to me. Though, I wouldn't grill it over flames. I'd put the sugar (or honey) back in and grill over indirect heat. Also, (and I've overestimated the time to doneness lots of times) , the jerky continues to dehydrate after it's removed from the heat so I have to remind myself to stop grilling before they reach the texture and flavour I want, which is sweet/sticky/soft and not like the the much drier western jerky,

Here's are pics of the last time I did this type of jerky: bulk-beef-jerky-2174507/3/#p30070913
Nice, yours looks great! Looks a bit thicker than how I did mine. Visually they looked amazing but definitely was lacking in texture and a bit in flavour. Any particular reason you wouldn't go over the charcoal? wanted to get a quick char on the meat, but it definitely could have been the reason they ended up overdone.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39860 posts
3924 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 6:01 pm

gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 7:41 pm
Looking forward to the pics tomorrow.

Try pouring boiling hot water over the duck skin before putting it into the fridge to dry out. It will make the skin crispier.
I gotta try the boiling water skin trick. The skin was soft. Taste was good though. SeAsoned well and hint of apple wood smoke.

This is in -7 weather... and wow my charcoal chimney has taken a beating. The walls look thin. Its like the charcoal is going shmelt it!
Images
  • 9E19EADC-52AC-46D3-A444-2964E8F3789A.jpeg
  • 3DBD5BD3-3EB3-44A8-AEE7-61DDB36EC67F.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6142 posts
1602 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 6:33 pm
I gotta try the boiling water skin trick. The skin was soft. Taste was good though. SeAsoned well and hint of apple wood smoke.

This is in -7 weather... and wow my charcoal chimney has taken a beating. The walls look thin. Its like the charcoal is going shmelt it!
Nice. I like Smoked duck.

King Cole Ducks in Aurora sells a smoked duck breast there. Great for appetizers or if you got a generous budget cut it and make sandwich.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!