• Dec 8th, 2019 7:18 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3525 posts
260 upvotes
Adelaide
Gutty96 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 4:25 pm
Just got back from 4 nights at Darrien Lake. Lots of hot dags, sausages and burgers, so wife and I totally felt like steak night.

Got a couple strips and a couple Ts from Foodland, both same price per lbs. Which would you like? I am leaning towards the strips right now.
I guess I would generally prefer t-bone/porterhouse over strip steak. You get the strip steak as well as a bit of tenderloin on it. Nice to be able to eat the two cuts, and fun to gnaw on a bone
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7167 posts
1828 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 8:14 pm
I guess I would generally prefer t-bone/porterhouse over strip steak. You get the strip steak as well as a bit of tenderloin on it. Nice to be able to eat the two cuts, and fun to gnaw on a bone
Lol, ya. My wife is the bone gnawer in the family. My front teeth are fake and I don't want to risk cracking or popping one off. I eat corn oddly funny to thr side with my eye teeth as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1778 posts
211 upvotes
K to chime in for brisket....I have made quite a few Corned Beef>Pastrami briskets using Meatheads recipe on amazing ribs, and this thing is a beauty if you love Montreal Smoke Meat or Pastrami. Nobody on forums I am on puts fat cap up, but heck if it works for you great.

Attached pic of the Pork Belly I did up before our long weekend trip....did this before it's out of this world tasting. This time around only had half the time to cure so it looks great, but seasoning didn't take as it did before.
Images
  • 20190729_232401.jpg
Mar 1, 2015
133 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Dr Butcher wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 2:03 pm
Did up a pile of NY Striploins for my nephew's birthday last weekend. The 20ish year old Napoleon still gets 'er done....
Mouthwatering... I can never get steaks right. Any tips?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7167 posts
1828 upvotes
ateddybear wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 2:37 pm
It's all about temp. Get a good thermapen and monitor closely to the temp of the doneness you like best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7860 posts
2962 upvotes
Markham
ateddybear wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 2:37 pm
Other than checking temps. It mIght be the steaks you buy....type (best is RIb IMO) and thickness as well (too thin and you're likely doomed from the get go).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 16, 2008
134 posts
27 upvotes
Smoked a slab of spare ribs today for the first time on a pellet grill, 2 hours at 250F, then wrapped for another 1 hour, finished up with a bbq sauce glaze.

Definitely worth another try, gonna use ribs with more meat on it and add more acidity to balance out the sweetness.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
Scholesy wrote:
Aug 10th, 2019 7:15 pm
Smoked a slab of spare ribs today for the first time on a pellet grill, 2 hours at 250F, then wrapped for another 1 hour, finished up with a bbq sauce glaze.

Definitely worth another try, gonna use ribs with more meat on it and add more acidity to balance ...
Looks terrific to me. How was the tenderness? Many people do side ribs 3-2-1 style so your timing sounds quick, more like for back ribs. But if it works, it works!
Jul 16, 2008
134 posts
27 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 10th, 2019 7:41 pm
Looks terrific to me. How was the tenderness? Many people do side ribs 3-2-1 style so your timing sounds quick, more like for back ribs. But if it works, it works!
Thanks! I think the tenderness was right for me, not mushy and had a nice bite to it while leaving a clean bone behind afterwards. That being said, probably could have wrapped for another 15 minutes.

First time I heard of the 3-2-1 method for ribs, will give it a try next time. I'm just learning from Malcom Reed's youtube channel, howtobbqright, and he's not steered me wrong thus far.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
Scholesy wrote:
Aug 10th, 2019 7:50 pm
Thanks! I think the tenderness was right for me, not mushy and had a nice bite to it while leaving a clean bone behind afterwards. That being said, probably could have wrapped for another 15 minutes.

First time I heard of the 3-2-1 method for ribs, will give it a try next time. I'm just learning from Malcom Reed's youtube channel, howtobbqright, and he's not steered me wrong thus far.
Here's a summary of 3-2-1: https://www.thespruceeats.com/the-3-2-1 ... hod-335862
It's basically 3 hours of smoke + 2 hours wrapped in foil + 1 hour unwrapped to form the crust and firm it up. This is just the first hit I got - there's lots of info on the technique. Though, as I said before, do what works for you. It's just one of a number of techniques to experiment with.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2486 posts
997 upvotes
Sudbury
Made some Jerk Chicken Kabkbs

And Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Onions
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7860 posts
2962 upvotes
Markham
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 10th, 2019 10:55 pm
Here's a summary of 3-2-1: https://www.thespruceeats.com/the-3-2-1 ... hod-335862
It's basically 3 hours of smoke + 2 hours wrapped in foil + 1 hour unwrapped to form the crust and firm it up. This is just the first hit I got - there's lots of info on the technique. Though, as I said before, do what works for you. It's just one of a number of techniques to experiment with.
I find a long wrap makes ribs kind of mushy, but perhaps that's is what you like so it is personal preference. 6 hr cook for ribs is a no go zone for me though.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 10:27 am
I find a long wrap makes ribs kind of mushy, but perhaps that's is what you like so it is personal preference. 6 hr cook for ribs is a no go zone for me though.
Sure. It's largely personal preference what you do if you're not competing professionally. I like to mix it up. Hell, I tried ribs in my wife's IntantPot the other day just for kicks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6018 posts
442 upvotes
BC
Scholesy wrote:
Aug 10th, 2019 7:15 pm

Definitely worth another try, gonna use ribs with more meat on it and add more acidity to balance out the sweetness.

They look great! Seems like a short cook for ribs, but if they were to your liking thats what matters. I do mine a bit lower at 225 4-5 hours with no wrapping. Lots of different methods tho. To cut the sweetness of the sauce I mix in a bit of whatever beer I'm enjoying while smoking.

Which pellet grill are you using?
That's my 2cents worth