Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 3:28 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote: Making another cornish hen. Same ones from before. I just saved one for the weekend. Might taste better since the dry rub had a solid 2 days to penetrate.

That thing wrapped in foil is a piece of pork belly my brother hot smoked already. So i’m just making use of the heat to tenderize it with a texas crutch. Once tenderized, i’ll sear it with direct heat from the coals.
Why does Pork belly kind of looks like a phallic symbol?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Nice change from Kettle Pizza...!
Images
  • 20200502_175329.jpg
  • 20200502_180140.jpg
  • 20200502_183236.jpg
  • 20200502_183241.jpg
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11164 upvotes
redsfan wrote: longer brine worked?
This has me thinking.... Can you over brine? I put a couple chickens in some salt water last night with the intention of smoking this afternoon, but unfortunately tiling the new backsplash took longer than expected. So many cuts! Will it be okay to do tomorrow or too salty / mushy? I guess we will find out, I am doing them regardless.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: This has me thinking.... Can you over brine? I put a couple chickens in some salt water last night with the intention of smoking this afternoon, but unfortunately tiling the new backsplash took longer than expected. So many cuts! Will it be okay to do tomorrow or too salty / mushy? I guess we will find out, I am doing them regardless.
I think you can for some tastes...you can also let it sit a day or two longer which has the same effect. Depens on what you are making of course
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11164 upvotes
redsfan wrote: I think you can for some tastes...you can also let it sit a day or two longer which has the same effect. Depens on what you are making of course
I didn't put a ton of salt it, it should be okay. We just do a chicken dinner, then leftovers for sandwiches, wraps, etc the rest of the week.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
redsfan wrote: Nice change from Kettle Pizza...!
WOW. Didn't expect to see pizza on there. Not sure if u did this ...bank charcoal in both sides for higher heat?

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: This has me thinking.... Can you over brine? I put a couple chickens in some salt water last night with the intention of smoking this afternoon, but unfortunately tiling the new backsplash took longer than expected. So many cuts! Will it be okay to do tomorrow or too salty / mushy? I guess we will find out, I am doing them regardless.
You can if you do a lot of salt. When I do cured salmon this can happen.

For chicken if you salt reasonably it's not an issue. I brine my Turkey two days at Xmas.
At Zuni Cafe which is famous for their roast chicken dinner I believe they brine it two days IIRC.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
It depends on personal preference. Some like it really soft. Because they despise the dry chicken breast. But some find it too mushy.

Ideal brine for me is 4-6 hours for me. Even for a whole turkey i won’t brine more than 6 hrs. You can always just dump the water and apply your seasoning.

I used to do 1-2 days and enjoyed it like that. But i stopped.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11164 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: It depends on personal preference. Some like it really soft. Because they despise the dry chicken breast. But some find it too mushy.

Ideal brine for me is 4-6 hours for me. Even for a whole turkey i won’t brine more than 6 hrs. You can always just dump the water and apply your seasoning.

I used to do 1-2 days and enjoyed it like that. But i stopped.
Ya. It wasn't planned this way, but I am sure I didn't ruin the birds. I am going to take them out of the water this morning and let the skin dry.
Apr 11, 2017
319 posts
319 upvotes
London, ON
Brisket time. A good trim, salt and pepper rub and off to the smoker late last night.

Wrapped her up this morning and it should get a good rest before slicing it up this afternoon.

Had to trim a corner to try it. Smoke ring looks good to me!

Costco packer, 15lb before trimming.
Images
  • 20200503_070018.jpg
  • 20200503_070611.jpg
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11164 upvotes
Wifey wanted the deck set up while she was at work today. as it is still too early to stain it but the weather is nice enough to sit out there from time to time....

I think this was time....... She might disagree though..
Images
  • IMG_20200503_085011.jpg
  • IMG_20200503_091716.jpg
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
IMG_20200503_092148__01.jpg
Pic of the thermometer monitor saying the outside temp is 101.6 celsius... That's 214.9 farenheit.

Almost ready to low and slow a pork butt or a human. Pics to follow. Lol.

Enjoy the most beautiful weather we've seen in over 200 plus days...just keep your distance and don't even think of a golf tee time.

Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: WOW. Didn't expect to see pizza on there. Not sure if u did this ...bank charcoal in both sides for higher heat?
Yes, exactly how I do most cooks with the trays. These will be short cooks, so charcoal on both sides and likely some wood in each one also. Have to see what we're cooking up tonigh! Hint, it has lots of garlic..
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
Charcoal sale...posting for BBQ'ers first before I post in Hot Deals.

Lowes has Royal Oak Star Grill Lump charcoal - on the flyer it's buy one get one 50% off (Reg is $17.99)
==> But on the website it shows $9.99 for 8kg - but there's no stock on the website so not sure what's going on there. Going to watch if it updates as I need some.

In the meantime, anyone use Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes...price is good $8.99 for 7kg or 15.4 lb at Cdn Tire

Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11164 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Charcoal sale...posting for BBQ'ers first before I post in Hot Deals.

Lowes has Royal Oak Star Grill Lump charcoal - on the flyer it's buy one get one 50% off (Reg is $17.99)
==> But on the website it shows $9.99 for 8kg - but there's no stock on the website so not sure what's going on there. Going to watch if it updates as I need some.

In the meantime, anyone use Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes...price is good $8.99 for 7kg or 15.4 lb at Cdn Tire
That's a good price! I just picked up 2 of the xylo brand Costco is now carrying. $14 for 8kg is still decent.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Charcoal sale...posting for BBQ'ers first before I post in Hot Deals.

I've used Royal Oak before, not bad. My preference is Kingsford, HD has thier bag on sale for $12.99 right now. I use Lump for quick cooks, Briq for low and slow
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: That's a good price! I just picked up 2 of the xylo brand Costco is now carrying. $14 for 8kg is still decent.
yep on our second bag with the Costco stuff.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)