Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 11:34 am
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16913 posts
11633 upvotes
Markham
malaujai wrote: Right. Since it's the first time I'm smoking this I'll probably just use foil... 500ft/1000ft is way too much haha

Can't wait to give this a shot tomorrow! What are people's preferred methods for smoking in weber kettles? I'm thinking of trying the snake method...
I do the snake method when I'm doing a low and slow. Works for me but lighting a small amount of charcoal is not that easy.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1783 posts
1294 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I do the snake method when I'm doing a low and slow. Works for me but lighting a small amount of charcoal is not that easy.
This is where briquettes come in handy. Light 10 briquettes in a 3 layer pattern 5/4/1, until they are nice and grey. Snake the briquettes and layer your hardwood charcoal until ready to add the dominant flavor for the smoke flavor. If you can, just use the same charcoal as the flavor, but can get expensive.
Last edited by Gr8irlbot on Jul 3rd, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1846 posts
500 upvotes
my0gr81 wrote: This is where the briquettes come in handy. Light 10 briquettes in a 3 layer pattern 5/4/1, until they are nice and grey. Snake the briquettes and layer your hardwood charcoal until ready to add the dominant flavor for the smoke flavor. If you can, just use the same charcoal as the flavor, but can get expensive.
Intrigued by this but not exactly sure what you mean... When you say 5/4/1 you mean like a pyramid with 5 then 4 then 1 on top of one another? Once they're lit, you move them into the snake pattern?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48672 posts
12086 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
malaujai wrote: Right. Since it's the first time I'm smoking this I'll probably just use foil... 500ft/1000ft is way too much haha

Can't wait to give this a shot tomorrow! What are people's preferred methods for smoking in weber kettles? I'm thinking of trying the snake method...
I think i’m up to my 20th brisket since i started my competition bbq training in 2019.

I just offset coals to one side. And use a top down burning method.
Thats
-a bed of unlit charcoal on the bottom
-1 or 2 wood chunks in the middle
-lit charcoal on the top

I aim for a temp of 300.

Foil wrap is fine. I’ve made some spectacular briskets with foil wrap!

It will turn out especially well if you inject the brisket & spritz the top with water every 45 minutes. It has to be a spritz with a spray bottle.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1783 posts
1294 upvotes
malaujai wrote: Intrigued by this but not exactly sure what you mean... When you say 5/4/1 you mean like a pyramid with 5 then 4 then 1 on top of one another? Once they're lit, you move them into the snake pattern?
Yes
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
4478 posts
1275 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Crispy wings dredge finished with light sauce. 350 @1 hour with diffuser. Used grate plus upper rack for 5lbs.
Images
  • IMG_20200703_165202.jpg
  • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200703183531741_COVER.jpg
Feb 5, 2016
269 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hyperactiveme wrote: Crispy wings dredge finished with light sauce. 350 @1 hour with diffuser. Used grate plus upper rack for 5lbs.
how do you get your skin like that? Looks like there's batter.

Also who has the best wood chunks in toronto? Looking for cherry, hickory, and oak
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
4478 posts
1275 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
whatisbwana wrote: how do you get your skin like that? Looks like there's batter.
Basically this video but finished in Buffalo sauce using unsalted butter.

Last edited by hyperactiveme on Jul 4th, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 30, 2006
764 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
whatisbwana wrote: Did you get it from Dicksonbbq?
I did not. Cabela's price- matched to Dickson BBQ using the discounted gift cards bought at Loblaws
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16913 posts
11633 upvotes
Markham
my0gr81 wrote: This is where briquettes come in handy. Light 10 briquettes in a 3 layer pattern 5/4/1, until they are nice and grey. Snake the briquettes and layer your hardwood charcoal until ready to add the dominant flavor for the smoke flavor. If you can, just use the same charcoal as the flavor, but can get expensive.
I use briquettes, usually lit with a chimney. But the chimney isn't built for smaller qty of charcoal as it's too wide a diameter.

I can't visualize what you mean by light 10 briqs in a 3 layer pattern 5/4/1... Do you have a link or vid or can you describe it a bit better.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 5, 2016
269 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tyrrell wrote: I did not. Cabela's price- matched to Dickson BBQ using the discounted gift cards bought at Loblaws
What’s the loblaws deal? Is it still on?
Dec 30, 2006
764 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
whatisbwana wrote: What’s the loblaws deal? Is it still on?
Loblaws was running on promotion. 20% back in points on Cabela's gift cards. I bought $750 worth of Cabela's gift cards, got $150 of PC points, then used those gift cards to price match Dickson's BBQ at Cabela's.

I don't believe the promo is still running, but I have seen it from time to time.
Jul 16, 2008
219 posts
302 upvotes
Couldn't do any BBQ on Canada Day due to rain but clear skies today means a trial of smoked pork loin, put on a homemade rub and smoked at 250F in a Traeger until internal temp of 150F. I was pretty hesitant because of how lean it is but I was limited to what was cheap at the supermarket this week! I wouldn't make it again though, wasn't too flavorful. Might be due to not injecting, which is what a lot of recipes did. I would try dry brining if there was a next time as the saltiness might enhance the meat itself.
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-04 at 1.29.12 PM.jpeg
Jul 3, 2020
1 posts
Scholesy wrote: Couldn't do any BBQ on Canada Day due to rain but clear skies today means a trial of smoked pork loin, put on a homemade rub and smoked at 250F in a Traeger until internal temp of 150F. I was pretty hesitant because of how lean it is but I was limited to what was cheap at the supermarket this week! I wouldn't make it again though, wasn't too flavorful. Might be due to not injecting, which is what a lot of recipes did. I would try dry brining if there was a next time as the saltiness might enhance the meat itself.
Looks dry!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1783 posts
1294 upvotes
malaujai wrote:
Intrigued by this but not exactly sure what you mean... When you say 5/4/1 you mean like a pyramid with 5 then 4 then 1 on top of one another? Once they're lit, you move them into the snake pattern?
gr8dlr wrote: I use briquettes, usually lit with a chimney. But the chimney isn't built for smaller qty of charcoal as it's too wide a diameter.

I can't visualize what you mean by light 10 briqs in a 3 layer pattern 5/4/1... Do you have a link or vid or can you describe it a bit better.
This should help. I don't have a link to a picture, as I used to do this when I had a small Hibachi as it was easier to start small and add more. This was eons ago. I adapted this for the small fire in the charcoal grill to use as a smoker.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1846 posts
500 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I use briquettes, usually lit with a chimney. But the chimney isn't built for smaller qty of charcoal as it's too wide a diameter.

I've seen people light smaller quantities (may not be the smallest or what you'd need for a snake however) using the chimney inverted while placing the starter at the bottom of the cone.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1846 posts
500 upvotes
how long of a snake is needed for a 13 lb brisket (pre trim)? Are brisket weights usually described 'pre-trim'?... In any case, 13 lbs usually means about 13-17 hrs in the smoker it seems... How long of a snake is that? Do people usually just extend the length of the snake as they go?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)