Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 8:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6154 posts
556 upvotes
BC
Strider wrote: I picked up beef ribs and a brisket at Costco yesterday too... along with some Canada Prime rib steaks. Beef for days.

That's a little baby brisket! The smallest at the Costco I went to was about 15lbs and the flat tapered down to almost paper thin so I took the next smallest one which was 20lbs.

Any good recipe/tips for smoking the ribs?
Yes, a lot of the bigger ones had the small end tapered really thin, this one was one of the best for small end and I'm glad its this size. Will be smoking it up for hubbys birthday next weekend.

I do the ribs low and slow like I would pork ribs, and for about the same time/temp. Seasoned with Traeger Blackened Sask rub, thats what I use on my brisket too.. absolutely love that rub.

We did our ribs last night and I braised them in a covered dish in the oven at 275 for 3 hours, slapped on some bbq sauce and then grilled on the bbq, hubbys favourite and super easy for me.

IMG_2718.JPG
IMG_2732.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1062 posts
681 upvotes
Calgary
Keelie wrote: We did our ribs last night and I braised them in a covered dish in the oven at 275 for 3 hours, slapped on some bbq sauce and then grilled on the bbq, hubbys favourite and super easy for me.
Looks delicious!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1062 posts
681 upvotes
Calgary
Found a deal on Amazon on a bbq temperature controller made by Inkbird, but I can't find any review or info on it (looks like a really new product).
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08DNB1H8V

It's $280 which is already significantly cheaper than the CyberQ (and even the bbq guru), but there's a $55 coupon and additional 5% off promo code 'NDC88SD5', bringing it down to $211.

Their temp probes are quite highly regarded, so I threw the dice and ordered. What's the worst that could happen?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43389 posts
6629 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Strider wrote: Found a deal on Amazon on a bbq temperature controller made by Inkbird, but I can't find any review or info on it (looks like a really new product).
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08DNB1H8V

It's $280 which is already significantly cheaper than the CyberQ (and even the bbq guru), but there's a $55 coupon and additional 5% off promo code 'NDC88SD5', bringing it down to $211.

Their temp probes are quite highly regarded, so I threw the dice and ordered. What's the worst that could happen?
Thats a good price for a temperature controller. Cheapest one around actually...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8464 posts
2931 upvotes
Bone-in bbq chicken breasts and some burgers for the kids and Wifey's lunch the next day.
Actually, 2 of the burgers were veggie burgers ( just real veggie burgers, not veggie burgers pretending to be meat burgers ) a where quite good!
Images
  • IMG_20200901_172536.jpg
  • IMG_20200901_180729.jpg
  • IMG_20200901_181948.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8464 posts
2931 upvotes
I was late getting last night. Wifey did some sausages on the CLB. Turned out really good.
Images
  • IMG_20200902_180741.jpg
  • IMG_20200902_182723.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43389 posts
6629 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
My latest haul of BBQ accessories.

I bought the bbq controller @Strider suggested. Thanks for the code! $14 off & $55 coupon... niiice. I’ll post a review to see how well it maintains temp.

Also got some silicone coated gloves. Briskets feel like a fire ball. And easy to wash with soap & water since its silicone.

And the amazen smoker tube. I want to use it to add smoke flavor for the odd time i’m stuck doing a gas bbq cook.
25F3DBAA-163B-4BE1-BAB5-92101075ECA9.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2038 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: My latest haul of BBQ accessories.

I bought the bbq controller @Strider suggested. Thanks for the code! $14 off & $55 coupon... niiice. I’ll post a review to see how well it maintains temp.

Also got some silicone coated gloves. Briskets feel like a fire ball. And easy to wash with soap & water since its silicone.

And the amazen smoker tube. I want to use it to add smoke flavor for the odd time i’m stuck doing a gas bbq cook.

25F3DBAA-163B-4BE1-BAB5-92101075ECA9.jpeg
I use a similar tube for pellets (mine is rectangular).
I used it when I cold smoked my raw brisket (both last year and this past week) prior to sous vide.
Just wanted to share some observations.

Last year was my first time cooking a brisket, and first time using the box (with hickory pellets).
When I lit the pellets sufficiently, I put the box under the grate directly beneath the brisket.
It was very visible on the part of the brisket just above the box that heat (from the box) somewhat seared the brisket. When the pellets were finished, I flipped the brisket, reloaded the box, and smoked again. This produced a fairly decent smoke ring on the brisket (after 60 hour sous vide), and a very intense smokey taste with the final product.

This time round, instead of going beneath, I kept the box on the grate next to the brisket (on the same gas BBQ).
I filled the box twice, but the end result was much less smokey. I definitely noticed (when VAC sealing the brisket indoors after smoking) that the room smelled way less smokey than I recall being the case last year. Unfortunately, my final product was compromised due to a malfunctioning Sous vide device that likely crashed somewhere during day 1 of my 72 hour cook. It was still working and displaying 57C, but had crashed and was actually cooking at a much higher temperature. I only noticed this somewhere around the 52+ hour mark, where the temperature (after rebooting the device) jumped to 67.5C.

The final product was clearly cooked at too high a temperature, as the bag was filled with way more meat juice than last year (like 5x more). I chilled the juice, the removed the hardened fat from the top. Filled up 3 ziploc twist and lock round containers with smokey beef gel (which I will use to make BBQ sauce). The brisket itself had zero wiggle. Still tasty, but much more like pulled pork, where you could tear pieces off with ease. The brisket itself had a much more subtle smokey flavour.

Somewhat disappointed, but at least it wasn't a throw away in the garbage kind of waste.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43389 posts
6629 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
shikotee wrote: I use a similar tube for pellets (mine is rectangular).
I used it when I cold smoked my raw brisket (both last year and this past week) prior to sous vide.
Just wanted to share some observations.

Last year was my first time cooking a brisket, and first time using the box (with hickory pellets).
When I lit the pellets sufficiently, I put the box under the grate directly beneath the brisket.
It was very visible on the part of the brisket just above the box that heat (from the box) somewhat seared the brisket. When the pellets were finished, I flipped the brisket, reloaded the box, and smoked again. This produced a fairly decent smoke ring on the brisket (after 60 hour sous vide), and a very intense smokey taste with the final product.

This time round, instead of going beneath, I kept the box on the grate next to the brisket (on the same gas BBQ).
I filled the box twice, but the end result was much less smokey. I definitely noticed (when VAC sealing the brisket indoors after smoking) that the room smelled way less smokey than I recall being the case last year. Unfortunately, my final product was compromised due to a malfunctioning Sous vide device that likely crashed somewhere during day 1 of my 72 hour cook. It was still working and displaying 57C, but had crashed and was actually cooking at a much higher temperature. I only noticed this somewhere around the 52+ hour mark, where the temperature (after rebooting the device) jumped to 67.5C.

The final product was clearly cooked at too high a temperature, as the bag was filled with way more meat juice than last year (like 5x more). I chilled the juice, the removed the hardened fat from the top. Filled up 3 ziploc twist and lock round containers with smokey beef gel (which I will use to make BBQ sauce). The brisket itself had zero wiggle. Still tasty, but much more like pulled pork, where you could tear pieces off with ease. The brisket itself had a much more subtle smokey flavour.

Somewhat disappointed, but at least it wasn't a throw away in the garbage kind of waste.
Yeah. Its a compromise for sure. If you want the full low & slow smoked bbq flavour... gotta use charcoal and some wood chunks.

But it looks like you got some good smoke taste from placing the smoke tube directly under the meat.

I’m going to a cottage @ the end of this month. They have a gas grill. I plan on making a brisket... but i don’t want to lug my weber kettle up north.

Ohh... i just looked it up. Only 2 hours from a 6 inch smoke tube. I’ll probably have to use @ least 2 rounds for a brisket.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1062 posts
681 upvotes
Calgary
UrbanPoet wrote: My latest haul of BBQ accessories.

Interested to see how you flange it up to a kettle. I picked up a Weber one touch kettle from Walmart thanks to the deal thread to go alongside my WSM, but have no idea how I could even hook up the controller without drilling a hole in it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43389 posts
6629 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Strider wrote: Interested to see how you flange it up to a kettle. I picked up a Weber one touch kettle from Walmart thanks to the deal thread to go alongside my WSM, but have no idea how I could even hook up the controller without drilling a hole in it.
Gotta drill a hole.
Interestingly... the only temperature regulating type accessory that doesnt require drilling is quite the curiosity artifact.

Ifs an adapter that turns it into a full out pellet frcking smoker!

https://www.spidergrills.com/products/s ... et-adapter

But i much rather have coal & a temperature controller for maximum ease and smoke flavor.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3567 posts
305 upvotes
Leuven
Dijon, soya, garlic, oil marinate for the wings, and grilled broccoli.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8464 posts
2931 upvotes
I was about to ask if the bbq season was over with this thread almost on 2nd page!

Thanks for the bumb! Looks delicious.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43389 posts
6629 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote: I was about to ask if the bbq season was over with this thread almost on 2nd page!

Thanks for the bumb! Looks delicious.
Just did some grilling on my mini weber on the lake.
Hey i passed by your big boy burger place on the way! Lol

Cloudy weekend. But nice still.
Images
  • A0F037EA-AC8C-4D9A-91E4-7AF2E2080E74.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8464 posts
2931 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Just did some grilling on my mini weber on the lake.
Hey i passed by your big boy burger place on the way! Lol

Cloudy weekend. But nice still.
Still better to be away!

Where are you? My big boys is a long way from you, in Cobourg. But I think there are some closer to the city.