Food & Drink

Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 7:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8491 posts
2960 upvotes
Bacon wrapped avocado bombs, and Jalapeño poppers ready for the grill tonight. Glad I did this all now. Took longer than I thought it would.
Images
  • IMG_20200920_102420.jpg
  • IMG_20200920_103843.jpg
  • IMG_20200920_105012.jpg
  • IMG_20200920_114430.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1157 posts
820 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Gutty96 wrote: Bacon wrapped avocado bombs, and Jalapeño poppers ready for the grill tonight. Glad I did this all now. Took longer than I thought it would.
DEER GOD, can you be my neighbor?

This would be great deep fried!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6462 posts
5928 upvotes
Richmond Hill
UrbanPoet wrote: I looked carefully and saw some fire brick down there.
So it looks to be an indirect heat setup with the coals pushed to one side.
yessir - the official unofficial accessory of the kettle grill
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8491 posts
2960 upvotes
Rushed to the finish. Wifey was late getting home but got a couple pics. It was freaking delicious.
Images
  • IMG_20200920_181511.jpg
  • IMG_20200920_182334.jpg
  • IMG_20200920_183953.jpg
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19604 posts
4208 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Gutty96 wrote: Bacon wrapped avocado bombs, and Jalapeño poppers ready for the grill tonight. Glad I did this all now. Took longer than I thought it would.
This looks both unique and delicious. Can you share a recipe?
What if there were no hypothetical questions? 🤔
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43444 posts
6696 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Doing a little experiment. I used some Cure.
Mixed it with salt, Stubbs bbq rub.
Sprinkled that all over the pork belly. Gonna give that a few days to soak in.
Then i’m going to hang it up uncovered in a mini fridge for a week to see what happens.
I’m using salt and cure. So that should prevent anything nasty from happening. It will dry out and preserve. The cold low humidity environment will help dry it out faster.
Then i’m going to cold smoke it for 2 hours!

Kinda like a bacon pancetta type thingy.
I’m not really following any recipe... aside from knowledge passed down by my parents in chinese cured pork making! I saw them making it and tasted some. If was great. It gave me ideas!

Except i’m going to remix this and use some western style spices. Kinda like that Louisiana style bbq. Then cold smoke it with apple wood.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1063 posts
685 upvotes
Calgary
Cross post from the Inkbird thread
Did a longer cook. Set temp at 250°
inkbird brisket cook.png

19lb brisket on my 18" WSM. Held pretty stable for 12 hours before it started to run out of fuel. Finished the last 3 hours wrapped in the oven.
Could it done just as well without the controller? Maybe. But for the fairly low investment, I like the set it and forget it reassurance.

A couple questions
- For anyone that uses the minion method, how do you prevent getting thick white smoke at the beginning? do you wait it out? I got impatient after about 40 minutes and put the meat on. The white smoke finally died down a bit over an hour from pouring in the lit chimney.
- In the temp graph, the stall is pretty evident at about 150° from 1am to 7am. But it seemed to stall again at 165° just before 8:30, is it normal to have a second stall?
- I spritzed at 6:30, 9, and 10 and you can see respective temperature drops at each of those times, which it took a long time to recover from. Maybe spritzing was a bad idea?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43444 posts
6696 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Strider wrote: Cross post from the Inkbird thread

inkbird brisket cook.png

19lb brisket on my 18" WSM. Held pretty stable for 12 hours before it started to run out of fuel. Finished the last 3 hours wrapped in the oven.
Could it done just as well without the controller? Maybe. But for the fairly low investment, I like the set it and forget it reassurance.

A couple questions
- For anyone that uses the minion method, how do you prevent getting thick white smoke at the beginning? do you wait it out? I got impatient after about 40 minutes and put the meat on. The white smoke finally died down a bit over an hour from pouring in the lit chimney.
- In the temp graph, the stall is pretty evident at about 150° from 1am to 7am. But it seemed to stall again at 165° just before 8:30, is it normal to have a second stall?
- I spritzed at 6:30, 9, and 10 and you can see respective temperature drops at each of those times, which it took a long time to recover from. Maybe spritzing was a bad idea?
Wow nice chart...
Yeah these computers are great.
Lets you focus more on the food, rather then the bbq.

Hard to avoid the thick white smoke using minion method. Because the process itself involves unlit charcoal pro-longing a cook! You lose a bit of something when aiming for convenience. However using lump might mitigate some of that nasty smoke taste. Especially if you use a premium lump charcoal. I find that even the thick white smoke from lump doesnt have that nasty taste.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1157 posts
820 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Strider wrote: Cross post from the Inkbird thread

inkbird brisket cook.png

A couple questions
Come over to the dark side and get an Akorn and all your problems will disappear. Sure they'll be replaced with a whole new set of problems, but that's for another day.