Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2022 3:39 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3753 posts
538 upvotes
Leuven
Gutty96 wrote: Lol, I don't even have it yet and I am getting the gears.

Maybe this weekend, what should I do first? Chicken? Beef roast?
Have to make sure those excuses get nipped in the bud early! Can't have our most prolific BBQ picture poster taking time off!

I feel like chicken is the classic rotisserie food and makes for a good first cook
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11765 posts
5676 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: Have to make sure those excuses get nipped in the bud early! Can't have our most prolific BBQ picture poster taking time off!

I feel like chicken is the classic rotisserie food and makes for a good first cook
That's a good point. Metro has BOGO on whole chickens this week, if next week's flyers don't look better tomorrow, might go get a couple.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48368 posts
11655 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote: Lol, I don't even have it yet and I am getting the gears.

Maybe this weekend, what should I do first? Chicken? Beef roast?
Classic crispy skin chicken. Thats the best part of rotisserie. Perfect chicken everytime! Very forgiving.

Heres a fun project.
Gyro meat! Get some pita, taziki, tomato, onion, cucumber. Classic!

https://www.greekboston.com/food/gyro-meat-recipe/

This guy does it sideways instead of upright.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11765 posts
5676 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: Have to make sure those excuses get nipped in the bud early! Can't have our most prolific BBQ picture poster taking time off!

Well, unfortunately the excuses keep coming :(.

The rotisserie is here, but I pinched my femoral nerve Wednesday night clearing Monday's storm off the outside rink, and am totally laid up for a few day until it looses up. DR told me it could take weeks! FML.

That said with all this extra boring time in my hands, has anyone ever gone way back in this thread to check things out.? I just die from page 160 to present. Man we have made some good cooks!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16655 posts
11386 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Well, unfortunately the excuses keep coming :(.

The rotisserie is here, but I pinched my femoral nerve Wednesday night clearing Monday's storm off the outside rink, and am totally laid up for a few day until it looses up. DR told me it could take weeks! FML.

That said with all this extra boring time in my hands, has anyone ever gone way back in this thread to check things out.? I just die from page 160 to present. Man we have made some good cooks!
[Had to look up where the Femoral Nerve was] Yikes. That is not good. Take the Dr. advice and take it easy.
Heat [10 min every hr], massage, physio...

BTW the first 159 pages of this thread are also good. LOL.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11765 posts
5676 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: [Had to look up where the Femoral Nerve was] Yikes. That is not good. Take the Dr. advice and take it easy.
Heat [10 min every hr], massage, physio...

BTW the first 159 pages of this thread are also good. LOL.
Ya I assumed it was sciatic, but the bulge is a good 2 or 3 disks higher.

Oh I am sure I will go through them in this down time.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3753 posts
538 upvotes
Leuven
Gutty96 wrote: Well, unfortunately the excuses keep coming :(.

Oooof, hate to hear that. Take it easy and hopefully back and at it in no time.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11765 posts
5676 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: Oooof, hate to hear that. Take it easy and hopefully back and at it in no time.
I hope so too. I despise sitting around and doing nothing.....

But for now, at least sitting is somewhat comfortable. Standing and walking in the other hand, not so much. Can only walk in small increments while holding a wall or table.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2669 posts
741 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: What do you think here Guys/Gals. I have $60 amazon gift card, which would bring this down to $90 and tax.

Always wanted a rotisserie, and the pizza part would be a nice bonus. The Rotisserie alone is $140, and the pizza thing alone is $110.

https://www.amazon.ca/onlyfire-Multi-Pu ... 60&sr=8-13
I have the Kettle Pizza attachment which is very similar to this, and have to say it's one of the best investments I have made. Wood burning pizza on the kettle is amazing, just a few minutes to cook and outright greatness. I also bought the Onlyfire Roti, and it was also a tremendous investment. Don't think you can go wrong here at all and will use both!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48368 posts
11655 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Updates on my 2 month cured meat project.

Start date Jan 09/2022

I got this marvelous piece of Birkshire pork money muscle!
Trimmed off a bunch of fat. Washed it and dried it really good.

1. Sprinkle mix of salt and cure

2. Vacuum seal tight

3. Left that refrigerated for 7 days in the tight vacuum seal. Read that this gets the cure right into the meat.

4. I dried it with paper towel. Weighed it and it came up to 2.37LBS

5. Hang in the back of my fridge.

Its been 7 days since I removed it from the vacuum seal and hung it up in my fridge. It dropped down to 2.07LBS! Already it lost 0.30LB !
Weight loss is good... It means the process is happening. As it air dries and cures. It loses moisture, thus weight loss. I'm still fascinated how it doesn't go bad or spoils. It just gets better with time. I did a smell check and close examination with a magnifying glass. The meat looks really good. Nothing is developing on the outside.
The smell is very mild. You know that raw meat smell? It doesn't smell meaty at all. It actually already has hints of that salami/prosciutto smell. It has an attractive pinkish red color.

It should be done curing around March 13th. Giving that a solid 8 weeks of air drying hang time! Maybe more, maybe less. I'll play it by ear.
Last time I did a small piece which was faster to cure. Turned out pretty good @ 4 weeks. But this time I gotta double that time because the starting weight was 2.37LB
My last one I think was either 1LB or just under 1LB. So it cured pretty fast.
They say you should lose about 35-40% of the original weight for it to finish curing.
I started with 2.37LB
weighed in today @ 2.07LB
still have 0.52LB to go!
Images
  • AE984755-12D3-4603-AC82-9747AD187638.jpeg
  • 6D3DFC88-E3FF-4AFF-9D7D-6B103C6C3DDD.jpeg
  • E89C0D17-3787-4A4A-B4C7-0CA303F868F3.jpeg
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1321 posts
147 upvotes
GTA
Anyone know where I can get brisket point for a reasonable price in GTA?

No one in the family cares for the flat and don't wanna spend money on parts no one eats.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16655 posts
11386 upvotes
Markham
iam_immigrant wrote: Anyone know where I can get brisket point for a reasonable price in GTA?

No one in the family cares for the flat and don't wanna spend money on parts no one eats.
The reasonable price part I'm not so sure about. I've seen brisket pieces sold at the No Frills before [Asian butcher section] at Centrepoint. If you live in the area, you can check it, otherwise I wouldn't recommend a special drive there. Not sure if they answer the phone.

Alternatively there's a Nossa Talho butcher running the meat dept at the Food Basics on Major Mack/ Bayview, if they don't have it, they can do special order [bring stuff from their downtown locations] and maybe they can bring in a cut. I ordered fantastic Ezzo pepperoni for pizza from there [I don't have to travel downtown] - I think they do answer the phone there. From link below, it says $11.99/lb for trimmed brisket point/flat -> not sure how up to date that pricing is as meat prices are dynamic and that website is likely not.

https://nossotalho.com/collections/beef-and-veal

Post back [where and price]if you find a point cut.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48368 posts
11655 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote: Hey guys. What are your thoughts on $5.50/lbs for a 1/4 cow?

Will be about $1000, but if we use it and don't just buy random grocery store beef, it sounds worth it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HNO ... p=drivesdk
I can see it working if you enjoy/use the not so desirable pieces too. I'm pretty sure you'll get stuck with some of those!

Eye of round. Super tough. Not a lot of flavor. Perhaps you can save it by grinding it down with some fat and bacon.

The neck. I'm good with neck because it makes great pho broth. I've also cooked it a more western style. Beef neck in slow cooker with carrots, celery, onions. Meat is good as long as you slow cook it and don't mind picking @ bones.

I've seen your work and you can easily do something with the plate and flank. Like your wet marinade flank steak taco/sandwich meals.

Bones and fat. Do they trim and cut the pieces for you?
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11765 posts
5676 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I can see it working if you enjoy/use the not so desirable pieces too. I'm pretty sure you'll get stuck with some of those!

Eye of round. Super tough. Not a lot of flavor. Perhaps you can save it by grinding it down with some fat and bacon.

The neck. I'm good with neck because it makes great pho broth. I've also cooked it a more western style. Beef neck in slow cooker with carrots, celery, onions. Meat is good as long as you slow cook it and don't mind picking @ bones.

I've seen your work and you can easily do something with the plate and flank. Like your wet marinade flank steak taco/sandwich meals.

Bones and fat. Do they trim and cut the pieces for you?
Ya, I think we need a bit more info on, how much we can get as ground beef, and how much choice we get in cuts.

Not sure about bones and fat either......
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16655 posts
11386 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Ya, I think we need a bit more info on, how much we can get as ground beef, and how much choice we get in cuts.

Not sure about bones and fat either......
Personally, buy cuts when you want em/need em is better than freezing em. That way you only get the stuff you want.

If I were to get a 1/4 cow, I'd want the Chuck/Rib qtr but I don't think they sell it like that.

BTW how's the leg? Not the cows...yours?

Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11765 posts
5676 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Personally, buy cuts when you want em/need em is better than freezing em. That way you only get the stuff you want.

If I were to get a 1/4 cow, I'd want the Chuck/Rib qtr but I don't think they sell it like that.

BTW how's the leg? Not the cows...yours?
Still pretty sore and tender. It's a wild feeling. Hip is stiff, quad feels like a Charlie horse, knee is numb and the inside of my calf feels bruised.

And it all originally comes from a pinched nerve in my back and my back isn't sore at all now.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16655 posts
11386 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Still pretty sore and tender. It's a wild feeling. Hip is stiff, quad feels like a Charlie horse, knee is numb and the inside of my calf feels bruised.

And it all originally comes from a pinched nerve in my back and my back isn't sore at all now.
Geez. That really sucks. The stomach is OK though right? You can eat. LOL.

Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11765 posts
5676 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Geez. That really sucks. The stomach is OK though right? You can eat. LOL.
Oh ya. Off the pain meds too. So was able to have a beer for the first time in a week yesterday.

Wifey asked when was the last time I went a week without a beer. I replied, probably when I was about 14. Lol

My deck still has 2+ feet of snow on it though. So can't get near the kettle, although the propane and griddle are cleared to.
Images
  • Screenshot_20220128-151448.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)