Food & Drink

Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2022 7:24 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2258 posts
574 upvotes
duckdown wrote: I've seen these just recently in the asian supermarket, i know theyre apparently popular at korean places (which ive never been to)... they're thin strips of ribs cut horizontally right?

what's the reccomended way of cooking those, other than smoking.. just grilling over direct heat? or do they need simmering or marinating and are very tough?

would like to try those out for a summer BBQ some time soon

thanks for the info!
Yes, they are beef short ribs, usually from older cows (to get a larger bone). Korean's typically grill these over fairly high heat after marinating them. You need that caramelization of the sugars from the marinade. I have never seen these purely smoked before.

The one you see there is a "LA" style (probably named after the city of it's origin? There's a lot of Koreans there). There's another style labelled "Tong" or something like that (pic)

Another way to prepare these is to braise them in a pressure cooker, where they become more fall of the bone than a "steak". The sauce from this process is sooooo good over rice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 19, 2006
1652 posts
4074 upvotes
I did a pot roast in a Dutch Oven on the BBQ this afternoon.

Roast seared and in the pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, beef stock and spices.
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C01980.jpg[/IMG]

After an hour or so:
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C01989.jpg[/IMG]

About three hours later:
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C01996.jpg[/IMG]

All done five hours later:
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C02000.jpg[/IMG]

Four adults and two kids destroyed the whole meal. Nothing left.

With the few remaining coals still burning and the egg still hot, I threw on a few chicken breasts for lunches during the week.
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C02003.jpg[/IMG]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 26, 2006
733 posts
250 upvotes
Hambone wrote: I did a pot roast in a Dutch Oven on the BBQ this afternoon.

Roast seared and in the pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, beef stock and spices.
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C01980.jpg[/IMG]

After an hour or so:
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C01989.jpg[/IMG]

About three hours later:
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C01996.jpg[/IMG]

All done five hours later:
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C02000.jpg[/IMG]

Four adults and two kids destroyed the whole meal. Nothing left.

With the few remaining coals still burning and the egg still hot, I threw on a few chicken breasts for lunches during the week.
[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302 ... C02003.jpg[/IMG]
This may be a silly question, but does cooking that in a Dutch oven makes it any different than if you cook it in a pot over a stove or slow cooker?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 25, 2006
2510 posts
247 upvotes
Whitby
duckdown wrote: I've seen these just recently in the asian supermarket, i know theyre apparently popular at korean places (which ive never been to)... they're thin strips of ribs cut horizontally right?

what's the reccomended way of cooking those, other than smoking.. just grilling over direct heat? or do they need simmering or marinating and are very tough?

would like to try those out for a summer BBQ some time soon

thanks for the info!
These are short ribs cut flanken style. They can be chewy but a thin cut helps out a lot. They are really flavourful yet a fatty cut. I marinate them overnight and then put them over blazing high heat (charcoal preferably, but gas is good too) for a couple of minutes per side and they are crazy good.

I found this recipe a while back and it's my go to recipe for Kalbi:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4793091
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20531 posts
5989 upvotes
GTA
We need to have a RFD BBQ-fest, oh my god its midnight and I'm going to electrocute myself from drooling on the keyboard!


I'm not particularly good at BBQ'ing(no BBQ set, no backyard!), but I'll bring the beer! :lol:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 7, 2005
18177 posts
1158 upvotes
Dr Butcher wrote: These are short ribs cut flanken style. They can be chewy but a thin cut helps out a lot. They are really flavourful yet a fatty cut. I marinate them overnight and then put them over blazing high heat (charcoal preferably, but gas is good too) for a couple of minutes per side and they are crazy good.

I found this recipe a while back and it's my go to recipe for Kalbi:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4793091

very cool. They seem like perfect option for a BBQ because I'm sure they cook quite fast.. although overnight marinating could be annoying to wait for. Too bad you can't just season them out of the package, and grill 'em.

I'm going to check your recipe out now, thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 19, 2006
1652 posts
4074 upvotes
BaboSo wrote: This may be a silly question, but does cooking that in a Dutch oven makes it any different than if you cook it in a pot over a stove or slow cooker?
Yes it does make a difference if you cook with the Dutch oven lid off. If I did this with the lid on, I might as well put it in the oven. It wouldn't get any of the smokey wood and charcoal flavor.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
29 upvotes
Can someone tell me where the smellanet button is on my keyboard please?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2258 posts
574 upvotes
duckdown wrote: very cool. They seem like perfect option for a BBQ because I'm sure they cook quite fast.. although overnight marinating could be annoying to wait for. Too bad you can't just season them out of the package, and grill 'em.

I'm going to check your recipe out now, thanks!
They typically cook in about 4-5 minutes. It isn't a steak, you don't want to keep it at med rare. Typically the more you grill it, the better it tastes due to the crispy bits.

You MUST marinate at LEAST overnight, 24 hours would be better.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 27, 2008
194 posts
3 upvotes
This is the best thread I have seen in some time! The pictures have inspired me to start the BBQ real soon.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20885 posts
5463 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
duckdown wrote: hell yeah, i'm in! czechvars are great!

hopefully its cabbing distance so i dont have to drive hehehe
Well I'm not necessarily offering free beers, but my place is VERY close to transit ;)

Arg, the main problem is logistics of getting people in due to tight condo security and lack of parking.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
pnorris3 wrote: The pictures have inspired me to start the BBQ real soon.
start? i never stopped :twisted:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 25, 2006
2510 posts
247 upvotes
Whitby
I was testing out a new pepperette recipe today (this one wasn't smoked). I *gasp* used liquid smoke...... Unreal recipe, it turned out amazingly well. I can't wait to stuff this into snack stick casings and smoke away..... I love hot food, this had a nice zip with chili flakes, mustard seeds, fennel, black pepper, garlic, and paprika. The cure was Morton's Tender Quick (0.5% sodium nitrate, 0.5% sodium nitrite).

*drool*

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/ ... ure927.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 27, 2007
5087 posts
960 upvotes
Peterborough
Steak for St. Patrick's Dinner:

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3395/2 ... er0029.jpg[/IMG]

Very nice medium rare - medium temperature:

[IMG]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/429/ ... er0033.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4999 ... er0034.jpg[/IMG]

The final product, with Grilled Asperagus, onions, mushrooms, potatoes and yams:

[IMG]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/8972/201 ... er0037.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 2, 2006
12218 posts
144 upvotes
That's how i like my steak.

Great pics guys.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16692 posts
11419 upvotes
Markham
Dr Butcher wrote: These are short ribs cut flanken style. They can be chewy but a thin cut helps out a lot. They are really flavourful yet a fatty cut. I marinate them overnight and then put them over blazing high heat (charcoal preferably, but gas is good too) for a couple of minutes per side and they are crazy good.

I found this recipe a while back and it's my go to recipe for Kalbi:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4793091
Try this recipe for Galbi /Kalbi ....it's more authentic IMO. Koreans use the Asian Pears for sweetness (and it may also help in the tenderizing). I've made it several times and it's is fantastic.

http://aeriskitchen.com/2009/01/beef-ga ... 84sogalbi/
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
50 upvotes
I definitely need to try kalbi sometime.

I really like that AerisKitchen site.

- MJ.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Scholesy, cmx1o1