Food & Drink

Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2022 11:01 am
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12661 posts
6706 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I see that your math works a bit backwords or you are using this new way of doing calculations :)
A skewer does not = a skewer :) also must factor in the stick weigh ;) and divide all that by the convenience :)
Lol.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12661 posts
6706 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: What are peoples go to dishes for vegetarians when you are doing a BBQ? Going to do a Porchetta to make sandwiches, and then want to do something a bit nicer than just some premade veggie burgers. Some thoughts

- Halloumi burgers
- Homemade veggie burgers
- Portobello mushroom burgers
Oh I am interested in those veggies burgers regardless of which way you go.... Post pics.
Jun 21, 2022
317 posts
337 upvotes
Gta
BongoBong wrote: What are peoples go to dishes for vegetarians when you are doing a BBQ? Going to do a Porchetta to make sandwiches, and then want to do something a bit nicer than just some premade veggie burgers. Some thoughts

- Halloumi burgers
Grimacing Face…. The salads?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49448 posts
13016 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

- Halloumi burgers
Blend
-cauliflower
-chick peas
-shitake mushrooms

-Add some water + corn starch & sugar as binder
-add finely chopped cilantro and onion

- spice with salt, pepper, cumin, chili, tumaric

This is the “meat” to make Indian style kebabs.
Serve with naan and vegan yogourt boosted with diced garlic.

Or just get beyond meat ground beef version and make it that way.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12661 posts
6706 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Blend
-cauliflower
-chick peas
-shitake mushrooms

-Add some water + corn starch & sugar as binder
-add finely chopped cilantro and onion

- spice with salt, pepper, cumin, chili, tumaric

This is the “meat” to make Indian style kebabs.
Serve with naan and vegan yogourt boosted with diced garlic.

Or just get beyond meat ground beef version and make it that way.
I didn't mind beyond meat right away, but after cooking a couple in a cast iron pan, even the smell makes me gag.....

I am now a firm believer that a veggie burger needs to embrace the fact it is a veggie burger and not pretend to be meat.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49448 posts
13016 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote: I didn't mind beyond meat right away, but after cooking a couple in a cast iron pan, even the smell makes me gag.....

I am now a firm believer that a veggie burger needs to embrace the fact it is a veggie burger and not pretend to be meat.
Yeah exactly. If you grill a portobello and pretend thats the “burger”. It actually makes for a really good sandwich.
Dress it up like a burger.
Side would have to be a salad containing at least 3 types of beans with some crushed nuts on top… its the variety of plant protein that helps keep these vegans full.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2922 posts
988 upvotes

- Halloumi burgers
No offense, but if it is an invite I add the BYOF to the disclaimer, lol. Good on you though being a better host than I am, but my only other option is eat before you come over haha
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12661 posts
6706 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Yeah exactly. If you grill a portobello and pretend thats the “burger”. It actually makes for a really good sandwich.
Dress it up like a burger.
Side would have to be a salad containing at least 3 types of beans with some crushed nuts on top… its the variety of plant protein that helps keep these vegans full.
Actually, We used to do this all the time in the old house, when I was gas only......

Should look into doing this again. They were always good. I wonder if the flat top would be best for them now though.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3775 posts
583 upvotes
Leuven
redsfan wrote: No offense, but if it is an invite I add the BYOF to the disclaimer, lol. Good on you though being a better host than I am, but my only other option is eat before you come over haha
lol fair enough! Neighbours have helped out too much to make them bring their own food though and need to make a good showing for those Europeans on Canada day!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17552 posts
12281 upvotes
Markham
BongoBong wrote: lol fair enough! Neighbours have helped out too much to make them bring their own food though and need to make a good showing for those Europeans on Canada day!

Haven't tried this recipe but it looks good.

https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vegan-c ... -bbq-tofu/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12661 posts
6706 upvotes
Pork belly burnt ends tomorrow... Or Sunday
Images
  • IMG_20220624_151504.jpg
  • IMG_20220624_151508.jpg
  • IMG_20220624_152320.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2922 posts
988 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Pork belly burnt ends tomorrow... Or Sunday
looks good...anything cut into strips? If so, how thing, and what knife? I really want to do a bacon again but can't find a knife to do a thin enough cut and I don't like the thickeness I can come up with
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49448 posts
13016 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
redsfan wrote: looks good...anything cut into strips? If so, how thing, and what knife? I really want to do a bacon again but can't find a knife to do a thin enough cut and I don't like the thickeness I can come up with
I use a $20 Chinese chef’s knife.
Nothing super fancy.
I freeze the bacon before cutting.
Half frozen. Not solid. But pretty firm.
Allows me to slice super thin.
Images
  • 3929DD3B-E260-41F0-A66B-0BD0FFCFDE39.jpeg
  • 5FABA498-33CC-4DE5-B04D-92FCEACB4498.jpeg
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12661 posts
6706 upvotes
redsfan wrote: looks good...anything cut into strips? If so, how thing, and what knife? I really want to do a bacon again but can't find a knife to do a thin enough cut and I don't like the thickeness I can come up with
UrbanPoet wrote: I use a $20 Chinese chef’s knife.
Nothing super fancy.
I freeze the bacon before cutting.
Half frozen. Not solid. But pretty firm.
Allows me to slice super thin.
I cubed it all. Looking back, it was such a big piece I probably should have save a chunk or strip it up for something else. Oh well, too late now.
May 5, 2016
391 posts
451 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Bonelesss Leg of lamb in kamado. Potatoes and veggies to catch the drippings underneath. Mushroom caps.

Threw in an apple wood chunk for some smoke too. Amazing how one small chunk can provide so much flavour
Images
  • 00AAFAC8-A2E7-4BB9-A453-0F7E4F787D0B.jpeg
  • EA3985DB-763E-4399-98A4-A5EBD657C508.jpeg
  • EE080D0C-3487-4DC5-8F29-179A8827280F.jpeg
  • B43708CB-2311-4F5C-AC0F-6A0DAE496DF3.jpeg
Let's get rich together on RFD. Stay positive, stay frugal. 😃
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12661 posts
6706 upvotes
duttydeals wrote: Bonelesss Leg of lamb in kamado. Potatoes and veggies to catch the drippings underneath. Mushroom caps.

Threw in an apple wood chunk for some smoke too. Amazing how one small chunk can provide so much flavour
Wow the looks good! Were the mushrooms cooked in with the veggies underneath?
May 5, 2016
391 posts
451 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Gutty96 wrote: Wow the looks good! Were the mushrooms cooked in with the veggies underneath?
Smoked the mushrooms on the top rack with the lamb.

A trick I learned when resting the meat is to throw it on top of the veggies in the tray. Lots of juice comes out. I threw the mushrooms in there to absorb the lamb juice while resting as well.

forgot to mention…. I made a sauce for the lamb. Caesar’ mix, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, fresh lime, butter, and herbs.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17552 posts
12281 upvotes
Markham
duttydeals wrote: Smoked the mushrooms on the top rack with the lamb.

A trick I learned when resting the meat is to throw it on top of the veggies in the tray. Lots of juice comes out. I threw the mushrooms in there to absorb the lamb juice while resting as well.

forgot to mention…. I made a sauce for the lamb. Caesar’ mix, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, fresh lime, butter, and herbs.
Never heard of sauce like this. Does it have a name?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 5, 2016
391 posts
451 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Never heard of sauce like this. Does it have a name?
Inspiration came from a “black dip” sauce. Apparently mutton and lamb is quite popular in Kentucky, and I think this is where it comes from.

Got it from my Project Smoke cookbook by Steven raichlen

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Gutty96