Food & Drink

Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2022 8:59 pm
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18016 posts
12724 upvotes
Markham
Ogata wrote: Vietnamese Nem nướng

Gotta bbq more
So that's are Vietnamese grilled meatballs? Eaten in rolls. What's the yellow vegetable?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13004 posts
7113 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Nice you always nail it with the medium-rare leaning towards medium side. Which I think is perfect for a fatty well marbled cut like this.
These get HUGE carry-over gain. So if you are looking for 120-125 ( med rare ) you need to pull it around 110, sear, and rest under foil with the roasted garlic butter.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 6, 2005
9208 posts
1195 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: So that's are Vietnamese grilled meatballs? Eaten in rolls. What's the yellow vegetable?
Yup its the grilled meatballs without the pink coloring. Roll it up yourself and/or eat with Vermicelli.

Fresh Pineapple is what you see. I didn't snap a pic of the herbs / veggies as the family was snatching things from every direction after I took that picture.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18016 posts
12724 upvotes
Markham
Ogata wrote: Yup its the grilled meatballs without the pink coloring. Roll it up yourself and/or eat with Vermicelli.

Fresh Pineapple is what you see. I didn't snap a pic of the herbs / veggies as the family was snatching things from every direction after I took that picture.
Pineapple - viet version of Al Pastor.

Bún thịt nướng - cold noodle dish
....just a different form factor I suppose.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
49990 posts
14036 upvotes
ONTARIO
Did another round of splitting up thanksgiving sale prime rib.

It was a $89 three bone standing rib roast.

Got out of it

-5 rib steaks

-Rolled and tied the rib cap “spinialis dorsi” muscle.

-rib bones for slow smoked bbq

-the ugly looking trimmings and flaps get diced up. Great for stir fry!

-2 pieces were these weird muscles i couldn’t quite figure out. It has big muscle grains. Sits right on top of the spinialis dorsi. They look lean but surrounded with a thick fat cap with tons of silver skin on the bottom.
I swear this isn’t really part of an actual standing rib roast. I suspect they’re leaving a cheaper piece of meat to increase pricing/weight/profitability?
I could work with thesE. But it seems like a rip. All rib roast from metro have these now.

-1LB of fat trimmings will be rendered out into tallow. I’ve always done this. But now it seems more important considering cooking oil is $20 a bottle now!
Images
  • FBED5696-E876-484E-B18C-3383195B8011.jpeg
  • 4DE44056-C93E-4FD6-AA16-52D09B175FD9.jpeg
  • 6338287B-41AA-4B4C-A25A-F761835937F2.jpeg
  • CCC86F0B-2FC7-4DBB-A097-9CBB39A745DD.jpeg
  • E3506F77-D35D-4BC6-8E2B-957C566A8423.jpeg
  • BF646ABB-D07D-4905-8B3E-EEC4363D28E1.jpeg
  • 5EBA185F-EF0C-49A9-A968-AB85901269C6.jpeg
  • D7331689-7081-4EE2-953D-38279950300F.jpeg
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18016 posts
12724 upvotes
Markham
Question for pastrami makers, I'm "corning" my corned beef right now....any issues holding the brisket in there for 10 days [Alton Brown] instead of 5 [Amazing Ribs Meathead]?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
698 posts
871 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Question for pastrami makers, I'm "corning" my corned beef right now....any issues holding the brisket in there for 10 days [Alton Brown] instead of 5 [Amazing Ribs Meathead]?
I think longer the better - first time I did mine 7 or 8 i think and it was fine. The next time I did exactly 5 and the middle of one of my pieces didn't get "cured" so looked like roast beef.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
49990 posts
14036 upvotes
ONTARIO
gr8dlr wrote: Question for pastrami makers, I'm "corning" my corned beef right now....any issues holding the brisket in there for 10 days [Alton Brown] instead of 5 [Amazing Ribs Meathead]?
This is my experience corning/curing my own pastrami/MTL smoked meat.
The longer you cure it, will make it taste more “deli meat” like.
When I did 5 days. It some what reminded me of a bbq brisket. Texture was different, but sorta close to a bbq brisket.
Theres one I did for 15 days. The end result was a more bouncy soft meat. I describe as “like deli meat”. Which it is. But I mean the characteristics of deli meat are higher.

But I think you should do the 10 days. This meat is suppose to taste like that. And the texture makes it great for loading up giant sandwiches!
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
698 posts
871 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: This is my experience corning/curing my own pastrami/MTL smoked meat.
The longer you cure it, will make it taste more “deli meat” like.
When I did 5 days. It some what reminded me of a bbq brisket. Texture was different, but sorta close to a bbq brisket.
Theres one I did for 15 days. The end result was a more bouncy soft meat. I describe as “like deli meat”. Which it is. But I mean the characteristics of deli meat are higher.

But I think you should do the 10 days. This meat is suppose to taste like that. And the texture makes it great for loading up giant sandwiches!
If you are going to go longer i suggest letting it soak in water a bit longer after so that its not too salty.

Costco sells now a big hunk of Schwartz's Smoked Meat so I bought a small one for comparison. Mine was way better.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
49990 posts
14036 upvotes
ONTARIO
The__Rock wrote: If you are going to go longer i suggest letting it soak in water a bit longer after so that its not too salty.

Costco sells now a big hunk of Schwartz's Smoked Meat so I bought a small one for comparison. Mine was way better.
Yeahs it just taste like any grocery “montreal smoked meat”.
I thought i remember They used to have a better one & changed recipes. But it was so long ago. Maybe it was “dunns”.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13004 posts
7113 upvotes
Oddly enough, I seem to using the kettle more since buying the MB560...

Broke my own rule about not putting your hand over the vortex though..... Wow that gets hot fast on the fingers. Lol
Images
  • IMG_20221004_174131~2.jpg
  • IMG_20221004_181159.jpg
  • IMG_20221004_183034.jpg
  • IMG_20221004_183538.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2983 posts
1052 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Tried a big tomahawk on the MB560. Obviously the temp control for the cook to 112 was great. Took about an hour at 250.

Took less than 5 minutes to get from 250 to 700 ( let's see a pellet grill do that! ) but.... Searing is a challenge as Ya it's hot. But you are not over the coals, so you don't get the same crust.

Next time, I will put a small chimney of coal in the kettle, roaring hot and sear on that.
Tip: next one you do put a cast iron pan on the kettle and load with a garlic butter formula. One minute prior to finishing it off smear on the steak!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13004 posts
7113 upvotes
redsfan wrote: Tip: next one you do put a cast iron pan on the kettle and load with a garlic butter formula. One minute prior to finishing it off smear on the steak!
Oh I have totally done this before! Just completely forgot I even have this little pan!

Good call! Will do this next time.
Images
  • IMG_20220403_170836~3.jpg
  • IMG_20220403_171448~2.jpg
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18016 posts
12724 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Oddly enough, I seem to using the kettle more since buying the MB560...

Broke my own rule about not putting your hand over the vortex though..... Wow that gets hot fast on the fingers. Lol
HOT => less than "half a mississippi" on the hand over heat count.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13004 posts
7113 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: HOT => less than "half a mississippi" on the hand over heat count.
OMG, it was faster than that. The moment my hand reached over the vortex to turn the drums at the back I had no more hair on my knuckles.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18016 posts
12724 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: OMG, it was faster than that. The moment my hand reached over the vortex to turn the drums at the back I had no more hair on my knuckles.
Free hair manscaping.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13004 posts
7113 upvotes
Anyone finding any charcoal deals around? I am down to scraps and want to stock up for the winter.

I typically go mostly briquettes over the cold months, I find lump isn't as consistent when cold. So a bag of that in the shed for odd use would be fine, but I would like get find 5-6 cheap bags of the briquettes if I can.

Got spoiled with the $4 clearance at Walmart last year! LOL.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
49990 posts
14036 upvotes
ONTARIO
Gutty96 wrote: Anyone finding any charcoal deals around? I am down to scraps and want to stock up for the winter.

I typically go mostly briquettes over the cold months, I find lump isn't as consistent when cold. So a bag of that in the shed for odd use would be fine, but I would like get find 5-6 cheap bags of the briquettes if I can.

Got spoiled with the $4 clearance at Walmart last year! LOL.
Perhaps try stock tracker and see if any of the local walmarts or home depot have any clearance deals specific to local stores.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13004 posts
7113 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Perhaps try stock tracker and see if any of the local walmarts or home depot have any clearance deals specific to local stores.
Oh we only have 1 HD and 1 WM..... Within 40 minutes.

You know my feelings on leaving town... Haha

Top