• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 3:28 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1720 posts
4123 upvotes
raymondly wrote: Starting up the charcoal grill
[IMG]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8920/starterj.jpg[/IMG]
Haha...I use my old small gas grill for the same thing. Something for the chimney starter to sit on while the fire starts up the charcoals inside! :lol:

Your turkey looks great BTW...how was it? Would you do it that way again? I was thinking of spatchcocking a turkey next time I did cooked turkey.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
stealth wrote: I sear both sides on a white hot cast iron skillet with some olive oil (about 1 min per side), then pop it in the oven with a dab of butter on top (pre-heated to broil) for about 4 mins. for med rare.
Anybody try searing steaks in a cast iron pan but on an outdoor grill?

I've got some tenderloins that I coated with finely ground dried porcini mushrooms. I'm thinking the mushrooms would make a nice crust with a really hot pan instead of just on the cast iron grill.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
50 upvotes
bonterra: what you suggest would certainly work.

stealth: if you find your kitchen gets smoky, try brushing a little oil on the meat first and keep the white-hot cast iron pan dry. That's how I do it, and it doesn't create an abundance of smoke.

- JiE
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Ma_Jie wrote: bonterra: what you suggest would certainly work.
- JiE
It worked beautifully!!

A gorgeous crispy crust with a rich, slightly smoky taste. I think it must be a Umami thing, the way the mushrooms complement the mild flavoured tenderloin.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Smoked a chicken Sunday, it was the first smoke of the year and it was good!!

Cooked at 275-300, it was windy and a little hard to regulate the heat, for 2 hours, with hickory smoke for the first 40minutes (one smoke pouch)

Before:

[IMG]http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5153/i ... 021407.jpg[/IMG]

After:

[IMG]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2321 ... 027219.jpg[/IMG]
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Hambone wrote: I was thinking of spatchcocking a turkey next time I did cooked turkey.
That is how I did my last turkey in the smoker, and will be doing my next one the same.... it really cuts down on time for the larger bird.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
bonterra wrote: Anybody try searing steaks in a cast iron pan but on an outdoor grill?

I've got some tenderloins that I coated with finely ground dried porcini mushrooms. I'm thinking the mushrooms would make a nice crust with a really hot pan instead of just on the cast iron grill.
Yes, I have done that as well, it works, but the pan doesnt get as hot as on the range (YMMV, of course....might just be a limitation of my old Broil-King).
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
Ma_Jie wrote: bonterra: what you suggest would certainly work.

stealth: if you find your kitchen gets smoky, try brushing a little oil on the meat first and keep the white-hot cast iron an dry. That's how I do it, and it doesn't create an abundance of smoke.

- JiE
Thanks for the tip!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
Hambone wrote: Haha...I use my old small gas grill for the same thing. Something for the chimney starter to sit on while the fire starts up the charcoals inside! :lol:

Your turkey looks great BTW...how was it? Would you do it that way again? I was thinking of spatchcocking a turkey next time I did cooked turkey.
I actually gutted my old gas grill, lined it with with ceramic blocks and I use it as my charcoal grill. It works great.

It was my second time doing a turkey - it was ok - not as much "beer" flavour as when I do a chicken (and not is as juicy) but I am going to try it spatchcocked next time.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
Question for you guys: I used my new cast iron smoke box a couple times last week, why didnt I get much of a smoke ring or smoky flavor in my porkribs, but it was quite pronounced in the beef roast I made a few nights before?
Is it because the rubs and spices mask it in the ribs? Not hot enough temps to get the smoke box really going?
I used mesquite, about 1/3 were soaked, the rest were dry. Ribs done for about 3hrs at 250deg. cast iron box belox the grill on the hot side. It seemed to me like to maintain 250deg, the heat wasnt enough to get the box going. They turned out great, just not as smoky as I'd hoped.

I had a hotter temp going for the roast (much shorter cook time) and it generated quite a bit of smoke- wasnt crazy about the mesquite flavoring on the beef roast though-made it taste kinda like sausages.

If price was no object, do you guys like cast iron or stainless boxes better, or just foil?
Sep 27, 2009
640 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
250 indicated should be more then enough for the smoke box to go, when i used to use one i would put it at 225 indicated on the hood and it'd start billowing after a while
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
stealth wrote: Question for you guys: I used my new cast iron smoke box a couple times last week, why didnt I get much of a smoke ring or smoky flavor in my porkribs, but it was quite pronounced in the beef roast I made a few nights before?
Is it because the rubs and spices mask it in the ribs? Not hot enough temps to get the smoke box really going?
I used mesquite, about 1/3 were soaked, the rest were dry. Ribs done for about 3hrs at 250deg. cast iron box belox the grill on the hot side. It seemed to me like to maintain 250deg, the heat wasnt enough to get the box going. They turned out great, just not as smoky as I'd hoped.

I had a hotter temp going for the roast (much shorter cook time) and it generated quite a bit of smoke- wasnt crazy about the mesquite flavoring on the beef roast though-made it taste kinda like sausages.

If price was no object, do you guys like cast iron or stainless boxes better, or just foil?
Are you using a BBQ? I have a cast iron and stainless steel smoke box and when using the BBQ I found a foil pouch worked best at lower temps.. holes in the top and bottom
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
Keelie wrote: Are you using a BBQ? I have a cast iron and stainless steel smoke box and when using the BBQ I found a foil pouch worked best at lower temps.. holes in the top and bottom
Yes its an older Broil King propane grill.

I'm wondering if maybe the temp gauge reads high? Or maybe I should try tinfoil.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Cast iron boxes are eisier to regulate because you can get a controlled burn. I have noticed that people that use foil pouches put more chips in a pouch than what fits in a cast iron box. My solution was to run two boxes.

My procedure on a cheap @$$ Fiesta was to turn the left element on full and let it rip until I smell the scent of whatever chips I am burning, not until smoke is billowing because then you have gone too far.

Then I turn the left side down until their were thin wisps of smoke coming from the box that were barely visible and leave it until I see the chips turn all black (BEFORE the chips ash up) and then dump and replace the chips. Then I put the new chips in the still smouldering hot boxes and turn the heat up again and repeat the procedure.

The trick is to get the wood to give off its contributing scents without burning it to the point it is billowing smoke (which will give you a larger smoke ring, but not the flavour you are looking for) and to have the temperature not exceed 225. If you have to turn the temps down to reach 225, your chips don't smoulder, if you turn it up too high, the meat cooks to fast.

Ultimately this is what pushed me to buy a larger (meat stays further away from heat source so it cooks slow and evenly) better BBQ with more elements (finer control and separate burners for each cast iron box).

However, I still cranked out awesome smoked meats on the Fiesta. I had the cast iron burner from HD because the other POS burner has hot spots due to to the burner rusting. Then I used the two cast iron boxes and a thermometer that sits inside the BBQ to give me exact temps. I used 100% wet chips because I believe that the steam coming off the grill and the moisture from the gas being burned off makes the smoke particles stick to the meat and to slow down the rate of the chips burning. The whole effort was to get the chips to burn at the right rate.

If the chips were going properly and the BBQ is too hot, I would crack the lid every once in a while to let the heat out and drop the temps. If the temps were too low, I would bring in the other burner to boost the heat. If the other burner boosted the heat too high, I would cycle it on and off. If I was cooking the meat too much on the opposite side (which is of course where the meat is for indirect heat cooking), I would shield it with a rectangular pizza tray to shiled it from the direct heat. The whole time, I would never touch the wood chip side temperature controls, because I had the burn rate for the chips set perfectly, only the other side and the lid to play with the temps.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Dr Butcher wrote: Tandoori chicken wings (images are clickable):
Mouth-watering!
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
Picked up cheap legs, skinned them and put on a sweet rub of brown sugar, chili powder, salt, paprika.

[IMG]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2092/bbq009.jpg[/IMG]

Smoked them for about 3 hours with a blend of apple and mesquite.

[IMG]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2130/bbq004.jpg[/IMG]

Break time. :cheesygri

[IMG]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/738/bbq010.jpg[/IMG]

About 45 minutes on the charcoal grill. Great crust.

[IMG]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6995/bbq013.jpg[/IMG]

Added some homemade "mexican" burgers (used the jalapeños I smoked at the end of last summer)

[IMG]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7237/bbq014.jpg[/IMG]

The legs were fantastic on their own but in the bbq sauce it was awesome. Fresh kaisers and topped with Moishes coleslaw and it was a sandwich.

[IMG]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2951/bbq015.jpg[/IMG]
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)