• Dec 6th, 2019 6:39 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25834 posts
4040 upvotes
Hamilton
iam_immigrant wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 11:52 pm
Just a FYI if anyone else is looking in the Scar/Mark/RH area, I called about 7 different stores and none have any stock...must be ordered which takes about 2 days.

Free shipping?
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1295 posts
129 upvotes
GTA
yao416 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 9:32 am
Free shipping?

I talked to couple different people at different stores and they said you pay up front, they order it, when it arrives at the store they call you and you go pick it up.

So, no, there is no 'shipping' charge per se. Total came to $56.49 (449.99 + tax). I checked out ebay and it would come out about the same (but unsure about duty) so I thought it better to get from a B&M store instead.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1295 posts
129 upvotes
GTA
Very first cook on pretty much any grill much less on a kamado. This was done on the CGK from Lowes.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/whidew.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, that is two steaks each. We had bought two different rubs and wanted to try them both.
Also did some baked potatoes, grilled veges and made some sangria.
The wife tried her darndest to finish both but alas it was too much for her. I on the other hand was a champ. Baked potato and all.

Next time will do 6 min each side instead of 8. Was going for med-med rare but came out more towards med-well.

On a side note:

Anyone who has the Maverick ET-73, what temp does yours read up to?? I bought mine new form Home Hardware and every time it reached ~410F it would give me the 'HHH' error code. In the manual it says it should be good up to 570F. Does anyone know where, locally, I can get some high temp probes for the ET-73?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2006
2939 posts
46 upvotes
Your veg and potato look kind of undercooked.

After putting the shredded cheese on, you should stick the potato back onto the grill to let the cheese melt, otherwise a hot potato+cold cheese doesn't go that well together.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1295 posts
129 upvotes
GTA
dasaylay wrote:
Apr 16th, 2012 12:17 pm
Your veg and potato look kind of undercooked.

After putting the shredded cheese on, you should stick the potato back onto the grill to let the cheese melt, otherwise a hot potato+cold cheese doesn't go that well together.

Thanks. This was acutally my first time cooking/bbq-ing so any tips is appreciated.

Read somewhere to squeeze the potatoes and if soft they should be done...but they were hot inside. I actually put butter, then sour cream and then the shredded cheese...but the cheese did melt some but we were just too hungry to put the potatoes back in...will remember that for next time.

And some of the veges got burnt so for the other half I only put them on for a few minutes. They were actually quite soft but not too soft.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3525 posts
259 upvotes
Adelaide
iam_immigrant wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 11:08 pm

Next time will do 6 min each side instead of 8. Was going for med-med rare but came out more towards med-well.

On a side note:

Anyone who has the Maverick ET-73, what temp does yours read up to?? I bought mine new form Home Hardware and every time it reached ~410F it would give me the 'HHH' error code. In the manual it says it should be good up to 570F. Does anyone know where, locally, I can get some high temp probes for the ET-73?

How hot were you running your grill? And I assume it has a built in thermometer? I personally don't bother using the et-73 for high heat grilling. I only use it for when you need to monitor the temps closely for extended times, like smoking a pork shoulder, or doing a chicken at 350 or whatever. The highest I have had mine in was at ~350 so couldn't tell you if mine has the same problem.

Also a tip I heard when using these for higher heats is to wrap where the probe and line meet in tinfoil to help prevent damage since that's apparently a weak spot.

For your steak times yah I would guess less time would be better. I typically go for around 8 minutes total for thicker steaks then that with a grill at 700+
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1295 posts
129 upvotes
GTA
BongoBong wrote:
Apr 16th, 2012 1:22 pm
How hot were you running your grill? And I assume it has a built in thermometer? I personally don't bother using the et-73 for high heat grilling. I only use it for when you need to monitor the temps closely for extended times, like smoking a pork shoulder, or doing a chicken at 350 or whatever. The highest I have had mine in was at ~350 so couldn't tell you if mine has the same problem.

Also a tip I heard when using these for higher heats is to wrap where the probe and line meet in tinfoil to help prevent damage since that's apparently a weak spot.

For your steak times yah I would guess less time would be better. I typically go for around 8 minutes total for thicker steaks then that with a grill at 700+

Not sure if you have the same grill or not but when the 'built in' thermometer was reading 300F but on the Maverick it was reading 410F...and that's when it was cutting out. It was at 500F (so assuming around 25-30% hotter) so it might have been closer to 650-700F. I have also read about that weak spot but will try the tin foil idea.

I was going by what this book was saying to get med. as the steaks we got, from Costco, seemed pretty thick. We had two steaks left over so the next day put it on for 6min and it came out medium.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1369 posts
12 upvotes
iam_immigrant wrote:
Apr 16th, 2012 12:49 pm
Thanks. This was acutally my first time cooking/bbq-ing so any tips is appreciated.

Read somewhere to squeeze the potatoes and if soft they should be done...but they were hot inside. I actually put butter, then sour cream and then the shredded cheese...but the cheese did melt some but we were just too hungry to put the potatoes back in...will remember that for next time.

And some of the veges got burnt so for the other half I only put them on for a few minutes. They were actually quite soft but not too soft.

Yeah Potatoes, what I do is grab a toothpick and stick it in there when you "feel" that its ready. If it slides right through and nothing sticks on the toothpick, its good to go... Never failed me yet.

As for your steak, 8 each side seems long, but for 8 minutes, how come the sear marks aren't that visible?
I go full max direct heat 3 minutes each side and I take out. Not sure how hot yours go but mine hits almost over 600 when I'm searing.
Go Polska!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1064 posts
381 upvotes
I also have the Maverick 73 dual probe wireless thermometer, been great so far (1 year and multiple cooks). Mostly I use it with my Bradley smoker or for turkeys, roasts, etc. I've never had it over 350F, so I can't tell you.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1295 posts
129 upvotes
GTA
Instagator wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 10:14 am
Yeah Potatoes, what I do is grab a toothpick and stick it in there when you "feel" that its ready. If it slides right through and nothing sticks on the toothpick, its good to go... Never failed me yet.

As for your steak, 8 each side seems long, but for 8 minutes, how come the sear marks aren't that visible?
I go full max direct heat 3 minutes each side and I take out. Not sure how hot yours go but mine hits almost over 600 when I'm searing.

Thanks for the tip! Will try that next time.
For the steak what I read was 4min, turn 90degree for another 4min to get hatch marks, then flip and do same on other side...8 min total each side. And because the ET-73 couldn't read properly above 400F I had to use the stock one and it was not too accurate. Was about 100-150F lower. So when it hit 500-550F I put the steaks on.
richardvoyageur wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 2:14 pm
I also have the Maverick 73 dual probe wireless thermometer, been great so far (1 year and multiple cooks). Mostly I use it with my Bradley smoker or for turkeys, roasts, etc. I've never had it over 350F, so I can't tell you.

Yeah, I will only use it for low&slow cooks from now on. Thought it was only mine and was realllllly disappointed and frustrated. Amateurs...what can you do :o .
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25834 posts
4040 upvotes
Hamilton
The BGE thermometer is about 100-150 off?
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1295 posts
129 upvotes
GTA
yao416 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 8:19 pm
The BGE thermometer is about 100-150 off?

No, I have the Char Griller Kamado.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25834 posts
4040 upvotes
Hamilton
iam_immigrant wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 10:18 pm
No, I have the Char Griller Kamado.

Oh my bad. Thought you had the BGE
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM