Shopping Discussion

Post Thanksgiving Turkey Clearance Thread ...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 9:21 pm
Dec 3, 2005
851 posts
992 upvotes
S
willowberry wrote: The key to nice moist turkey, is 'don't stuff it'. stuffing just draws all the juice out of the meat. I learned this from a chef many years ago.
Since doing this, no more dry turkey meat. I still cook a dressing, but just don't stuff the bird.
Sous vide is also a pretty foolproof way to keep the meat moist. But I haven't tried cooking it whole -- always split into breasts and legs, then the rest for stock and pho.
Nov 26, 2018
23 posts
12 upvotes
If you're not spatchcocking your turkey, you're doing it wrong. Shorter cook time, more even cooking, more crispy skin, use the backbones for a real slow cooked grave while the bird cooks (in 2 hours or less).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
yep, butterflied turkey, dry brined is the way to go. I suppose someone could try cooking a turkey vertically.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3222 posts
1813 upvotes
MELPOMENE wrote: Sous vide is also a pretty foolproof way to keep the meat moist. But I haven't tried cooking it whole -- always split into breasts and legs, then the rest for stock and pho.
+1 on the sous vide. I don't know if you could even do it whole though - how would you vacuum seal the hollow inside of the bird (it is basically a cylinder). Splitting into breast and leg also allows you to cook at different temps for different times.

I follow this and have gotten nothing but rave reviews from everyone - it is fabulous to enjoy the white breast meat that is a moist as the dark leg meat.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2009
1153 posts
397 upvotes
Vancouver
I put a bit of butter underneath the skin and between the meat, and this made a huge difference. My frozen turkey was better than the fresh organic one I bought last year. Yes, traditional stuffing is bad. Putting cut up onions, salt, pepper, other seasonings, etc..is not the same as a traditional stuffing, and will add flavor without drawing moisture.

There are also some huge downsides to butterflying. You shouldn't have to worry about drying out the meat with a longer cook time, if the setup is done properly.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1435 posts
1457 upvotes
Airdrie
glover78 wrote: While searching for turkey, have any of you come across discounted pumpkin pie?
I think it's hard to beat costco pumpkin pie. Regular price of 5.99 and twice the size of the average pie.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1608 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
mcwilly wrote: I think it's hard to beat costco pumpkin pie. Regular price of 5.99 and twice the size of the average pie.
I agree plus it tastes close to home made.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5575 posts
1281 upvotes
Toronto
mcwilly wrote: I think it's hard to beat costco pumpkin pie. Regular price of 5.99 and twice the size of the average pie.
Whoa! Gonna get this then
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7321 posts
5101 upvotes
Toronto
Tcalp wrote: Hey Guys,

I know it's quite common for various locations to have a lot of left over Turkey post thanksgiving, and often go for fantastic prices post thanksgiving. I figured a single thread concerning such sightings might be a good idea. My local GT has Butterball turkey breast on for $12 per box (~900G, down from $15), though I don't consider this to be a fantastic deal by any means. Hoping those closer to the big box stores may have seen some great deals, last year I got a butterball for $0.49/lb

Sorry if this isn't a 'typical hot deal' or whatever, remove if you guys feel it's inappropriate, just hoping to spur the conversation/sightings of good deals around.
Was hoping to score a couple of discounted fresh whole Turkeys from Costco, but it doesn't look possible this year.
The one Costco I went to said they sold out last week-end.
Am trying to call another store, but it seems like the $20 off per turkey dream is not possible.
Bah humbug!
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7321 posts
5101 upvotes
Toronto
Ouch - looks like bringing this thread back to life was pointless.
I did not see any deals whatsoever for Turkeys post Thanksgiving.

With all the media stories on how Turkey suppliers were complaining about lower sales, I thought for sure there would be a dump post Thanksgiving.
My read was way off. My guess is that stores purchased way less than usual, and thus did not have surplus.

Did anyone see any deals?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1608 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
My Food Basics had a total of five turkeys, three Butterball and two other brands that were both different.
Asked if they had any Utility grade and they said that was it.