Students

Post-undergrad at Humber College & new OSAP application?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 12:48 am
Nov 16, 2018
3 posts

Post-undergrad at Humber College & new OSAP application?

Hello!

So recently I've been really anxious and stressed about my decisions post undergrad. I initially wanted to do an MA, and I do have about 3 places I'm looking into. The problem is, the deadlines are very fast approaching and I do not have my letter of interest nor my writing sample polished (I'm actually supposed to be working on that...right now). Not only that, but my #1 program requires a portfolio (since it crosses over with a fine arts discipline along with academia) and I don't have anything done at all. Not only that, but my letter of recommendations are professors from this term, which means I'll have to wait until December to ask them (due to the fact that my other professors turned me down, unfortunately).

I thought that instead of cramming everything in during the last two weeks and spinning out what would be a frankly terrible application that will cost me hundreds of dollars, I would choose to take a one-year certificate at college instead in a hands-on discipline that I'm interested in. Right now, I'm looking at Humber College and their Arts Foundation and other schools with fundamental art programs. I'm only planning to take 1 year (2 semesters) to do this, while I also spend the time in 2019-2020 to craft my MA application. I know it seems impractical to most people, who would just tell me to take the year off and work... but I want to be in school and doing something, and I'm also graduating with a BA with no professional connections, so that's the picture.

TL;DR: I'm graduating with my BA, and I'm looking into one year college programs while I give myself time to do my MA application instead of rushing it in the last 2 weeks.
The questions I have are:

1. How does OSAP work with new applications? It's been a while but I remember the MSFAA (?) thing I had to mail in? Will I have to do that again, or will I just apply like I do every year, just under a different degree and school this time? And what happens to my old student loans that I haven't paid off yet (like will it affect my application etc.)? Edit: hmm, was doing some research and OSAP doesn't fund for certificate programs?

2. What is the Humber Arts Foundation program like? Are there any other 1 year arts foundation programs that are also recommended (in Toronto)?

3. It might seem silly to ask this, since I'll be graduating with a BA, but what are my chances of getting into a program such as this? I'd assume it's easy but I don't want to underestimate and end up not getting in. I'll be graduating this year with a (potentially) 3.5 GPA from UofT (humanities). Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading!
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1030 posts
541 upvotes
byluna wrote: Hello!

So recently I've been really anxious and stressed about my decisions post undergrad. I initially wanted to do an MA, and I do have about 3 places I'm looking into. The problem is, the deadlines are very fast approaching and I do not have my letter of interest nor my writing sample polished (I'm actually supposed to be working on that...right now). Not only that, but my #1 program requires a portfolio (since it crosses over with a fine arts discipline along with academia) and I don't have anything done at all. Not only that, but my letter of recommendations are professors from this term, which means I'll have to wait until December to ask them (due to the fact that my other professors turned me down, unfortunately).

If you haven't got everything ready for your application, and if profs have turned you down for recommendations, then do not bother applying as you will never get in. Trust me, I've been through the application process (both Master's and PhD) and am now a prof. They will gladly accept your application fee, but your rejection letter will quickly follow.

Go to college, it is a far better route for you.