• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2020 11:38 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
591 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga

Pot Light Installation Quote

Located in Mississauga - I have the following cost for installing 49 pot lights - $70 each plus tax and permit. Extra for running new switches ($80 per switch). Pot lights can be integrated type or one where bulb can be replaced - same cost.

This price is similar to Mr. Potlight and Quality pot lights (from their website)

When I look at prices on Kijiji some are as low as $45.

Why a big difference in price - quality of work, quality of materials? All say that they are certified electricians.

Your input is appreciated - please feel free to provide recommendations for other installers?
Thank you in advance
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3556 posts
674 upvotes
My guess is that the quality of materials is all the same... as in ... not great... entry level home depot / costco type pot lights.

Quality Potlight did a good install for me but there were a couple spots where their ladders marked my hardwood floors. But other than that they did everything clean, well, permitted, and inspected. In retrospect, I should have made up my mind earlier about what I was going to do about the old light fixtures (junction boxes) and had them prep it for patching instead of capping it but I think that's my own fault.

I think you should ask yourself how much more is it worth to get an installer that is recommended on RFD? It's possible that the Kijiji guys are fine but I felt way more comfortable knowing that RFDers have had a positive experience with an installer. It also showed my spouse that I was exercising "reasonable diligence" instead of just picking cheapest option.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6555 posts
2111 upvotes
GTA
poorwingman wrote: Quality Potlight did a good install for me but there were a couple spots where their ladders marked my hardwood floors. But other than that they did everything clean, well, permitted, and inspected. In retrospect, I should have made up my mind earlier about what I was going to do about the old light fixtures (junction boxes) and had them prep it for patching instead of capping it but I think that's my own fault.
The junction box with wires capped can't simply be drywalled over. Wires would have to be removed from the old junction box and rerouted to pot light circuit for example, often not easy to do with wire stapled to joists. Might be what you meant by "prep it for patching" but posted so clear for others, junction boxes with wires can't be buried in drywall.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3556 posts
674 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: The junction box with wires capped can't simply be drywalled over. Wires would have to be removed from the old junction box and rerouted to pot light circuit for example, often not easy to do with wire stapled to joists. Might be what you meant by "prep it for patching" but posted so clear for others, junction boxes with wires can't be buried in drywall.
Yes that's what I meant. I hadn't thought it through at the time but it's definitely something that should be considered.

I can wrap my head around patching and painting but moving/rerouting the junction box sounds like it could be a lot of work (unless someone wants to correct me!) Because that work wasn't done, I think my wife and I will just live with unsightly capped lights :S
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6555 posts
2111 upvotes
GTA
poorwingman wrote: Yes that's what I meant. I hadn't thought it through at the time but it's definitely something that should be considered.

I can wrap my head around patching and painting but moving/rerouting the junction box sounds like it could be a lot of work (unless someone wants to correct me!) Because that work wasn't done, I think my wife and I will just live with unsightly capped lights :S
Its likely the recessed light installer ran power to pot lights from that junction box so yeah-removing it now and being code compliant would be a bugger. Sounds like a good place for another pot light, nice asymmetrical pattern. Add another pot at other end of the room to match it and tell people you didn't want a runway pattern of lights.
May 12, 2003
346 posts
220 upvotes
GTA
We paid $35 per light, plus $7 cost of the light. Each new switch was $50. Clean as a whistle, covered any area he was going to drill. Very VERY happy with the person we used. He's certified electrical and helps you with drawing a map of where the lights would go.

Did not do any permit, so you may want to look at that cost.

Located in Mississauga.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
591 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
The permit cost is $350 in Mississauga

The cost of the pot light is $16 including the PAR20 LED bulb and trim. So if I use the person used by ssj4_ootaku1 then the cost per pot is $51 which is about what kijiji pricing is. This is a saving of $20 per pot or $1000 for 50 lights plus tax!
Dec 12, 2007
691 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: We paid $35 per light, plus $7 cost of the light. Each new switch was $50. Clean as a whistle, covered any area he was going to drill. Very VERY happy with the person we used. He's certified electrical and helps you with drawing a map of where the lights would go.

Located in Mississauga.
What’s the implication for not having a permit if you plan to sell the house in the future? Would people actually check ?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4486 posts
738 upvotes
Waterloo
Zamboni wrote: The junction box with wires capped can't simply be drywalled over. Wires would have to be removed from the old junction box and rerouted to pot light circuit for example, often not easy to do with wire stapled to joists. Might be what you meant by "prep it for patching" but posted so clear for others, junction boxes with wires can't be buried in drywall.
Can they be put behind an access door?
phoenix_bladen wrote: What’s the implication for not having a permit if you plan to sell the house in the future? Would people actually check ?
pretty much impossible to check what work was done without permit. If you look at something specific, its possible to check e,g there is a light fixture installed that has a manufacturing date stamped on it , but checking for permits it doesn't bring up anything after the manufacturing date. even then its possible that the fixture was a replacement.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6555 posts
2111 upvotes
GTA
Supahhh wrote: Can they be put behind an access door?
Yes, but normally a white blanking plate is screwed on.

Most installers rush it too much; its best to plan it so any light fixtures removed can be drywalled over.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3563 posts
2451 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Supahhh wrote: Can they be put behind an access door?
Yes, but an access door is going to be just as, if not more, unsightly than a cover plate.
The most aesthetically pleasing way to install pots is to cut out the drywall and pull the wiring back to a point where the first pot is located. This is RFD though, and how cheaply you can get things done trumps everything else.

ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: We paid $35 per light, plus $7 cost of the light. Each new switch was $50. Clean as a whistle, covered any area he was going to drill. Very VERY happy with the person we used. He's certified electrical and helps you with drawing a map of where the lights would go.
This is an insane price. I can't imagine any licensed electrician installing pots for $42 and $50 for switches including materials in a finished room. Pre drywall? Maybe.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4486 posts
738 upvotes
Waterloo
MrFrugal1 wrote: Yes, but an access door is going to be just as, if not more, unsightly than a cover plate.
The most aesthetically pleasing way to install pots is to cut out the drywall and pull the wiring back to a point where the first pot is located. This is RFD though, and how cheaply you can get things done trumps everything else.
there is many ways to disguise or camouflage an access door. Its sometimes necessary i believe when you have multiple junctions boxed in the vicinity and its worth it just put 2-4 in a group closer together rather than pull all the wires all the way.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9416 posts
4872 upvotes
Paris
fhirji wrote: The permit cost is $350 in Mississauga

The cost of the pot light is $16 including the PAR20 LED bulb and trim. So if I use the person used by ssj4_ootaku1 then the cost per pot is $51 which is about what kijiji pricing is. This is a saving of $20 per pot or $1000 for 50 lights plus tax!
Contractors literally do jail time for this in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3556 posts
674 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: ...its best to plan it so any light fixtures removed can be drywalled over.
Yeah this is harder than it sounds. For example, we left the original junction box in the breakfast area and master bedroom because we weren't sure if we wanted to hang a light in those rooms. But we put in enough pot lights that we would have been okay with prepping and drywalling over the original light... and instead we are left with more things on our "to do" list to either get a light or to prep/patch when we just want to move on with our lives.
phoenix_bladen wrote: What’s the implication for not having a permit if you plan to sell the house in the future? Would people actually check ?
If you have a new house, a permit is required so you don't void your Tarion warranty for electrical work.

But in any event, if you're getting a lot of pot lights... just get the permit. An ESA inspector came to my house and spot checked some lights and switches. Installers aren't your trusted friends and family members that are looking out for the safety of your family. And if they advertise on Kijiji, where are you going to leave a bad review?
Jul 13, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Could you please share contact details of your contractor.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1367 posts
387 upvotes
Brampton
fhirji wrote: The permit cost is $350 in Mississauga

Could you pls share where you bought the fixtures from. I am also looking to buy PAR20 LED bulb and trim.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1362 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
The implication is if the house burns down or someone gets electrocuted the insurance company will say "oh well".
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4700 posts
1145 upvotes
cowbunpants wrote: The implication is if the house burns down or someone gets electrocuted the insurance company will say "oh well".
Please provide 1 concrete example of this ever happening.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
591 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
dealerguy wrote: Could you pls share where you bought the fixtures from. I am also looking to buy PAR20 LED bulb and trim.
Bramtor Electric Supply Co Ltd in MIssissauga
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1362 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
Toukolou wrote: Please provide 1 concrete example of this ever happening.
Yeah, you are right.
If your house burns down insurance will cover.
Sounds like a great idea to hire the 45$ king of potlights.