Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west

Pot light sealing

As a home owner, there is always something. And while years ago I redid my insulation in my attic, as well as tuck taping all areas (bathroom fans, lights, etc) and putting correct hats on the potlights. There are a few points I couldnt get to very well due to a vaulted ceiling. Im thin, but not that thin.

Anyway, can potlights be sealed from below with the expanding foam for the ones I couldnt reach. I know when I redid my insulation I was suprised that the vapour barrier wasnt tuck tapes around access points. Reason I found out was when I was in the attic one day someone shut the garage door and the vapour barrier lifted.

I recently got kitchen venting done for the stove exhaust, and when they did it in the winter, they noticed some frost on the underside of the roof. Not a lot, and I have never had mildew or mold issues in the attic (I check it 3 times a year) Im thinking it might be there from areas I might of missed. My first thought is the pot lights. House is coming up 20 years old, so Im thinking if this was a major issue we would of seen it already.

Also, dealing with venting, and this is from the original owners, or the builders. In the vaulted ceiling, the soffit ends for some reason are plugged by insulation bats. North and south. There are two turtle vents in the vaulted part of the attic as well, and two more for the rest of thr attic, and then two for my garage attic (all north facing). I know the vaulted ceiling area in the house is always 2-3 degrees hotter in the summer compared to the rest of the upstairs. Doesnt help we have 3 huge windows in the area, even with the sun blocking shades you can still feel heat off the area, although not as much as if the shades are wide open.

Been there for 11 years now, and the shingles on the roof are the same as the rest of the roof, so there doesnt seem to be any premature curling from the heat below. Would there be a reason why these vents are blocked. We get North winds here alot, is there such things as too much venting. And of course being a vaulted ceiling getting to that area isnt possible.

On a side note, got an insulation guy there to look at this, to confirm what they maybe there for. Wish I didnt, all he wanted was to redo all the insulation for the Energy Rebate. I played dumb, and this seemed to be the best way to show how experts lie to you.

I had left my paper rulers in the attic to show the r50 mark, and when I redid my insulation, it has to be inspected to show its been done, then you get your rebate. This all passed years ago fine. Well this guy, said how crappy of a job it was (I played dumb saying it was the previous owner) He started ripping them off, with the insulation level at the r50 mark. Which was 20" of insulation. He then started digging through the insulation to show me my ceiling. He said there wast enough insulation, and I was maybe r10 at the most. And while I didnt do a perfect job, I know he was lying to me. he said by my soffits after he looked there was maybe 5" of insulation. When he left, I measured and there was over 12", because I know because I redid it. I know Im no professional, but thats not the reason he was there He never mentioned anything about tuct taping anything, he also said it was the original insulation, when it wasnt. Plus I had to go fix all the insulation when he left, as he didn't put back any of it. So I got my fan rake and redid all the things he stepped on, etc. Thought if he was in business for over 20 years Id get some truth. He never did tell me why the batts were there, he just spouted off random shit and then got back to the reinsulating the house

He also said I needed gable vents at each end of my house, and then he wanted to drill a hole between my house attic and attached garage attic, because he said this should all be one open space for better air movement. Um, attached garage attic are supposed to be separate from your house for Carbon Monoxide and as well for fire code. When I told him I wasn't going to let him drill random holes in my house, he got mad and said he cant work with me because of all the questions I was asking, and not allowing him to do things.

And Gable vents with the current setup wont do a thing. He said even just putting one on the end of the vaulted ceiling would help. Only with a wind and probably screw up any air movement I have now anyway.

Anyway getting another company in to confirm what these batts are for. See what they say
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 28th, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19655 posts
23012 upvotes
GTA
You should tell us what company this was so we can avoid them.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
engineered wrote: You should tell us what company this was so we can avoid them.
Wont matter, we arent even in the same province
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19655 posts
23012 upvotes
GTA
WikkiWikki wrote: Wont matter, we arent even in the same province
I'm sure there are other people on RFD from SK.

So what's the point of that big post then? Just to ask if you can seal from the bottom? Sure you can. Ideally you swap to LED potlights and seal around their edge.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
engineered wrote: I'm sure there are other people on RFD from SK.

So what's the point of that big post then? Just to ask if you can seal from the bottom? Sure you can. Ideally you swap to LED potlights and seal around their edge.
Im sure there are.

Point was to ask if pot lights can be sealed like that, or if its against some code.

Pot light are already LED, I retrifitted some Cree ones that fit into the old cans very nice.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Im sure there are.

Point was to ask if pot lights can be sealed like that, or if its against some code.

Pot light are already LED, I retrifitted some Cree ones that fit into the old cans very nice.
Yes its against code but what else can you do? LEDs can emit a lot of heat too but nothing like incandescent.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
DIrty-D wrote: Yes its against code but what else can you do? LEDs can emit a lot of heat too but nothing like incandescent.
Thanks, I may not end up doing it. Seems for each website on how to do it, another says not to due to heat, etc. Even with LED

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)