• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 11:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
731 posts
43 upvotes
edmonton

Potential Bad news on rental mkt

"Following a meeting with the provinces on April 29, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is putting in motion the steps to suspend international student travel to Ontario.

“Premier Ford asked that we suspend the arrival of international students,” Trudeau said. “Because at this time Ontairo is the only province requesting this, we are happy to work more narrowly with them. We will be reaching out to their officials today (April 30) to formalize that request.”

With no international students. Nightmare for landlords to rent out units in downtown tor.
Article :
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cicnew ... 3.html/amp
Last edited by love0715 on May 3rd, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Oct 10, 2020
77 posts
33 upvotes
hope to see some panic sells if that's the case. I see prices are back up downtown (or very close to it)
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3787 posts
3296 upvotes
ambrokeyo wrote: hope to see some panic sells if that's the case. I see prices are back up downtown (or very close to it)
I don't
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1256 posts
1479 upvotes
Toronto
Even if this happens how long would it last, 2 months? No way they keep things closed into the summer if were approaching full vaccination rates. And the US is going to be pushing us very hard to open up.
Jan 28, 2017
939 posts
982 upvotes
lol thanks for the FUD. Just usual back and forth nonsense from politicians. Banning international students = racist, highly doubt this will happen. US is opening up, 18+ will be able to get a shot in Canada later this month.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35635 posts
4473 upvotes
Winnipeg
I thought school already went to online only?
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2893 posts
1604 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a blip. No students arrive in May/June so it makes Ford look tough without a cost. By late July our cases and hospitalization will be cratering with only anti-vaxxers getting sick and Ford can triumphantly announce because of his decisive action we can now fully open up. I say this as someone who rents to students though lucky enough to have a non-student in that unit now.
I expect a strong return of students this fall and I think many will look at our strong market and want to buy rather than rent. They might also figure that protects them better for entry. My prediction is the condos near universities all over Ontario will be on fire this fall.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2189 posts
3884 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
International students are a fraction of the rental market, lol @ 'nightmare'.
Realtor, Investor, CPA - Collaborate with like minded people
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
731 posts
43 upvotes
edmonton
Don't students plan months ahead?
I heard many year 2 students got used to online learning , no longer physically come in school.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
So pro business.

Ford is saving us from the hoards of "illegal" visitors who spend their money in our country.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15142 posts
11619 upvotes
Tarrana
RichmondCA wrote: International students are a fraction of the rental market, lol @ 'nightmare'.
You can always tell which side people are on. I laughed at the title.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2189 posts
3884 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
love0715 wrote: Don't students plan months ahead?
I heard many year 2 students got used to online learning , no longer physically come in school.
I heard because of covid everyone is moving to the virtual world. No one will live their life in real life anymore.
Realtor, Investor, CPA - Collaborate with like minded people
Sep 6, 2013
65 posts
83 upvotes
Hamilton
Cliffs if anyone missed the above:

"hospitals will be cratering because of antivaxxers"
"Because of doug ford property investments are going to tank"
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31238 posts
1941 upvotes
Fernando Poo
they need to drive prices down.
May 3, 2010
504 posts
162 upvotes
Most international students can't afford Downtown rents anyway. So this means sharing with multiple people. I'd never rent my unit in that setup.

Also, if you own a nice unit, id suggest against renting it to students. Find a Professionally employed tenant instead.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10689 posts
13393 upvotes
Toronto
love0715 wrote: "Following a meeting with the provinces on April 29, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is putting in motion the steps to suspend international student travel to Ontario.

“Premier Ford asked that we suspend the arrival of international students,” Trudeau said. “Because at this time Ontairo is the only province requesting this, we are happy to work more narrowly with them. We will be reaching out to their officials today (April 30) to formalize that request.”

With no international students. Nightmare for landlords to rent out units in downtown tor.
Article :
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cicnew ... 3.html/amp
It's all just politics and optics;

“If the Ontario government wants to do more to restrict the volume of people coming into Ontario, we are more than happy to work with them on it,” he said in a news conference Friday.

“But you know, it's been a week since we've received that request directly from the premier, that they haven't followed up on, except with personal attacks, which doesn't make sense and frankly won't help Ontarians.”

https://www.cp24.com/news/trudeau-pushe ... -1.5418776
Mar 30, 2017
959 posts
665 upvotes
i just cant find the idea of owning rental property in ON amusing. too landlord hostile even in canadian standard lol
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Apr 14, 2006
844 posts
522 upvotes
St Johns
No problemo for me I would never rent to an international student
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6013 posts
247 upvotes
Murica
Most students are poor and split condos with other students.

Online learning they don’t need to rent DT. Rather rent in cheaper suburbs with access to groceries
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3787 posts
3296 upvotes
maniacshopper wrote: Most students are poor and split condos with other students.

Online learning they don’t need to rent DT. Rather rent in cheaper suburbs with access to groceries
There is no more cheap suburbs