Careers

Potential employer asking for ROE

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2020 5:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1351 posts
394 upvotes

Potential employer asking for ROE

Hello,
A potential employer is asking for previous ROE and/or previous pay stub during the back ground check process.

The previous company I worked for didn't issue either &i was young enough to not know i would need these in future (was just happy to get paid for couple of months between school time off).

I have check mycra etc and it's not there either. What options do i have at this time?
11 replies
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 30, 2020
88 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Were you issued T4 slips from those employers for income tax purposes? You mentioned you had neither stubs nor ROE, so I assume maybe "no", but worth asking about since you didn't mention it. :) You could check with that prior company if in fact they do have that form and it just never was sent to you. If there's no documentation at all I imagine you'd have to explain to your prospective employer that the job was pretty casual and a student job so there's no paperwork or get the former company in the absence of official forms to draft a statement saying you were employed between X dates and earned X amount, etc. Some people leave these small part-time or summer jobs out of their background entirely because they're often for short durations or not in the field they want to get into, but you'd need to check whether your prospective employer wants every last job (including these ones) or perhaps just the more "major" ones that align with why you might be getting hired for them (i.e. full-time jobs in the same industry).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1351 posts
394 upvotes
CasualCauli wrote: Were you issued T4 slips from those employers for income tax purposes? You mentioned you had neither stubs nor ROE, so I assume maybe "no", but worth asking about since you didn't mention it. :) You could check with that prior company if in fact they do have that form and it just never was sent to you. If there's no documentation at all I imagine you'd have to explain to your prospective employer that the job was pretty casual and a student job so there's no paperwork or get the former company in the absence of official forms to draft a statement saying you were employed between X dates and earned X amount, etc. Some people leave these small part-time or summer jobs out of their background entirely because they're often for short durations or not in the field they want to get into, but you'd need to check whether your prospective employer wants every last job (including these ones) or perhaps just the more "major" ones that align with why you might be getting hired for them (i.e. full-time jobs in the same industry).
I wasn't issued these unfortunately.

The business is closed now, i tracked down the owner and he was nice enough to write an employment letter detailing the duration and pay etc but the new employer is looking for t4 / Roe etc

Yes it was one of those student jobs as you said.
Member
Dec 15, 2017
308 posts
346 upvotes
Personally I'd politely tell them that's none of their business, and contains personal information. Why should an employer need to see your pay from your last job as a background check?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
7245 posts
1842 upvotes
Toronto
miningminer wrote: Personally I'd politely tell them that's none of their business, and contains personal information. Why should an employer need to see your pay from your last job as a background check?
From my point of view is the potential employer hire a bacKground check company, and based on Op's resume they can find nothing about his previous employment with that company hence requested Op's to provide evidence that he indeed previously work for that company.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1351 posts
394 upvotes
miningminer wrote: Personally I'd politely tell them that's none of their business, and contains personal information. Why should an employer need to see your pay from your last job as a background check?
They want to verify if I actually worked at that company which is no longer in business.
cgtlky wrote: From my point of view is the potential employer hire a bacKground check company, and based on Op's resume they can find nothing about his previous employment with that company hence requested Op's to provide evidence that he indeed previously work for that company.
Yes, that's the case. This has dragged out for more than a week now and i don't see the light at end of tunnel. In these times really need to get the job but not sure how to satisfy this requirement as it's not in my hands to get these docs anymore.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35653 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
fizz1234 wrote: They want to verify if I actually worked at that company which is no longer in business.

Yes, that's the case. This has dragged out for more than a week now and i don't see the light at end of tunnel. In these times really need to get the job but not sure how to satisfy this requirement as it's not in my hands to get these docs anymore.
How did you file your taxes?
Maybe provide a PDF of the T4 slip and NOA?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1351 posts
394 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: How did you file your taxes?
Maybe provide a PDF of the T4 slip and NOA?
Made less than a grand over 3 months and didn't realize i need to report it. Didn't get a T4 from them either, that would have fixed this issue right away. This was 4 years ago during school.
I have learned this was MY mistake to not educate myself about employment facts etc and will be vigilant going forward but stuck in this mess hindering me to start my first out of school job.
Member
Dec 15, 2017
308 posts
346 upvotes
how were you paid? did you receive actual pay cheques and did they take tax deductions?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1351 posts
394 upvotes
miningminer wrote: how were you paid? did you receive actual pay cheques and did they take tax deductions?
Just got cheque which i deposited years ago. Nothing mentioned about tax etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2350 posts
710 upvotes
New Brunswick
It's sound like tax evasion.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2013
2451 posts
884 upvotes
Winnipeg
fizz1234 wrote: I wasn't issued these unfortunately.

The business is closed now, i tracked down the owner and he was nice enough to write an employment letter detailing the duration and pay etc but the new employer is looking for t4 / Roe etc

Yes it was one of those student jobs as you said.
Send the employer's letter. I assume it has contact of the employer, so that they can validate. Also, explain to your new employer about the situation regarding T4, paystub, etc.

Now the ball is in their court. If they decide to still accept you, thats good. If not, then you tried. I have a feeling they will look over this and wont make their decision based on this 1 thing.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams

Top