• Dec 4th, 2019 12:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
346 posts
652 upvotes

Potential Job Requesting Transcript

I applied to a job and they sent me an email asking me to send a transcript from my college. Is this normal?
How do you even get one of them, do I just call the college and ask them to send me it, or is it online? There was an online portal that I used to login to when at school to check my grades, but my login was removed from the system as they get deleted after 1 year.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
This happened to me once. I told them I've been out of school for around 3 years and I don't have my transcript. It could have been at my parent's house somewhere about a 2hr drive away and I don't have a car. They asked me what my avg was and I told them. Then I never heard from them again. lol..

You can try contacting your school. I would suggest calling and not emailing since this is time sensitive. Just let the potential employers know that you have to contact your school to see what they say.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19471 posts
3522 upvotes
Toronto
Is this your first job out of school, or did you work before you joined this company?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
346 posts
652 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Is this your first job out of school, or did you work before you joined this company?
I've been working a few years, 2016 is when I graduated. It's dumb they would think I have a transcript lying around after that amount of time.
I found a request transcript form for my college, but it's a print-out form, which means I have to mail in, which is going to take a few business days to get there, and then probably a few days for them to get to it, and then a few days for it to get to me, so it doesn't even give me a chance, they will probably already have it filled by then.
They haven't even talked to me yet, just sent an email.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9162 posts
1295 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Most schools have a record. I know mine you can request an unofficial one online and you can have the "official" one mailed to you.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1044 posts
394 upvotes
Markham
Brandon26 wrote: I applied to a job and they sent me an email asking me to send a transcript from my college. Is this normal?
How do you even get one of them, do I just call the college and ask them to send me it, or is it online? There was an online portal that I used to login to when at school to check my grades, but my login was removed from the system as they get deleted after 1 year.
This is pretty normal for larger companies, it's part of their screening process to prevent education fraud. For them, it's easier for you to provide official transcripts than it is for their staff to call the university you attended (and those records aren't publicly available anyways). The transcript gets mailed out directly from the school to the company.

It's not dumb at all, education fraud is a very real thing. A photocopy or picture of a diploma/etranscript is easily forged.

Official transcripts cost money, have your employer reimburse you for it if the cost bothers you.
Jan 16, 2009
202 posts
86 upvotes
The only time I had to submit official transcripts was when I graduated and was applying for my first real job many years ago (accounting firm). It was probably factored into the screening process. I can't remember if I ordered them online, or if actually went to the campus to order them. But you pay for them, and they get sent directly from the campus to the company.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7180 posts
4365 upvotes
Victoria, BC
If it is too difficult for you to figure out how to get them a transcript, then you don't deserve the job.