Potential Tenant Threatens to Sue
My brother-in-law needs some feedback, advice or consensus on this issue:
- tenant signs 1 yr lease with deposit $300
- background checks seems ok but agent couldn’t reach previous landlord
- tenant claims he’s a non-smoker as per signed contract
- on day he closes, he immediately lights up a cig. On our driveway
- he doesn’t bring any post dated checks as agreed on contract saying he wasn’t aware of this
- said it’s going to take 3 weeks for cheques to come in since he owns his own business. However on contract he says he works for a company with salary income
- bro immediate said, “He’ll NO!”, so he cancels contract
- tenant claims he’s going to sue because he has no place to stay and we need to cover his expensive hotel bills
My thoughts are since bro is going to return deposit and maybe give him $50 for his troubles, he has no grounds to stand on. He should go to the Board bc it’s going to take 6-12 months for hearing. I’m in GTA.
What do u guys think?