Computers & Electronics

Potentially Shady Bell/Rogers Stuff Goin on?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 10:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1318 posts
719 upvotes
ottawa

Potentially Shady Bell/Rogers Stuff Goin on?

Hey RFD,

Wondering if I can get the community's opinion on this. I recently noticed my Fido internet plan was expiring so I called in to see if we can extend - no dice & all the latest plans are quite a lot more. They do offer to go to Rogers who have worse plans but of course offer packaged bundles with TV.

I figured this would be a great time to hop back onto Bell for a while as I was with them before switching to Fido about a year and a half ago on their 150mbps plan. The rep at Bell proceeds to say that the best speed in my area is actually 5mbps now. To be honest I thought I misheard, but nope I checked online and now the fastest plan is 5mbps for $60/mo and a $60 activation fee. I'm not really in to conspiracy theories but I'm now wondering if anyone on Bell in different regions if they were to check Rogers would see the same 5mbps plan that Bell is offering - almost like they're purposely doing it to select addresses to force you to start with Rogers or Bell since obviously no one would take this 5mbps plan and it doesn't seem to make sense that 150mbps offering would go down to 5mbps in a year and a half.

Call me skeptical. What are your thoughts? Ps. This is in central Ottawa so not the boonies.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.27.05 PM.png
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1977 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
The most reasonable explanation for this to happen would be that while that promo was going on, people took advantage of it and filled up all the ports on the REMOTE that is closest to your home/condo/etc. DSL service works on distance. The further away you are from a DSLAM (exchange) or a REMOTE (node) the worse up to* speed attainable you will get. If everyone in your area packed up these speed packages combined with TV, they have taken up ports on the remote closest to you, so BELL is now only able to offer you bare minimum DSL what they have left to fill the gap. That's one possibility.

The other possibility is your land line (copper) between your place and the REMOTE is so bad, (damaged, age, desegregated) that the computers are reporting ... wow his copper line is so bad we can only offer him max attainable speeds of 5MBPS. There is a possibility your copper line has gone bad and you wouldn't even notice, especially if you don't have a home phone, since many opt out of land lines in favor of VOIP and cellphones.

If you are/were getting consistent good speeds on FIDO, but they don't want to budge and give you a deal anymore, I would recommend moving with a 3rd party ISP thats realiable ... like Start.ca or Teksavvy.com and look up your postal code and see what services are available and eat up the Start up costs.

I believe with Start.ca if you already have an active Cable Internet Connection (Fido) which you do, they wave the $25 activation fee, and you just have to flat out buy their modem and pay for the package you want, pricing is reasonable. I would probably go that route and tell FIDO to blow it if they don't want to give you a better deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1318 posts
719 upvotes
ottawa
heyyahblah wrote: The most reasonable explanation for this to happen would be that while that promo was going on, people took advantage of it and filled up all the ports on the REMOTE that is closest to your home/condo/etc. DSL service works on distance. The further away you are from a DSLAM (exchange) or a REMOTE (node) the worse up to* speed attainable you will get. If everyone in your area packed up these speed packages combined with TV, they have taken up ports on the remote closest to you, so BELL is now only able to offer you bare minimum DSL what they have left to fill the gap. That's one possibility.

The other possibility is your land line (copper) between your place and the REMOTE is so bad, (damaged, age, desegregated) that the computers are reporting ... wow his copper line is so bad we can only offer him max attainable speeds of 5MBPS. There is a possibility your copper line has gone bad and you wouldn't even notice, especially if you don't have a home phone, since many opt out of land lines in favor of VOIP and cellphones.

If you are/were getting consistent good speeds on FIDO, but they don't want to budge and give you a deal anymore, I would recommend moving with a 3rd party ISP thats realiable ... like Start.ca or Teksavvy.com and look up your postal code and see what services are available and eat up the Start up costs.

I believe with Start.ca if you already have an active Cable Internet Connection (Fido) which you do, they wave the $25 activation fee, and you just have to flat out buy their modem and pay for the package you want, pricing is reasonable. I would probably go that route and tell FIDO to blow it if they don't want to give you a better deal.
Wow I had no idea that it was so advanced that they can test the connection even though it's not active. I guess it's possible the line got worse over 1.5 years but it seemed too coincidental.

Thank you for the recommendation I'll take a look over at start.ca as their plans seem pretty reasonable.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1977 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
barqers wrote: Wow I had no idea that it was so advanced that they can test the connection even though it's not active. I guess it's possible the line got worse over 1.5 years but it seemed too coincidental.

Thank you for the recommendation I'll take a look over at start.ca as their plans seem pretty reasonable.
Bell techs always have a way to test their lines, even if they are not in service, after all it's their equipment. Sometimes the computer is wrong and they will have to send out a tech to physically inspect the remote and the demarc at your place and see the line quality stats. Thinks could be askew right now because of all the flooding Ottawa has received, that's another possibility. You could always harp Bell to come out and test your lines if you want to deal with them.

Yes, the pricing at both Start.ca and Teksavvy.com are really reasonable for Cable packages. Teksavvy also has a wave the service free if you are going to Transfer one cable connection to the other service, and I believe their 30M & 75M package has a loan (rent) a refurbished modem, or a rent-to-own option as well. Check out their pricing and services. Pretty good too.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4517 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
barqers wrote: This is in central Ottawa so not the boonies.
Since you are in Ottawa check out National Capital Freenet, they offer DSL.
https://www.ncf.ca/

Key your info here and you will get pricing and availablility: https://www.ncf.ca/ncf/registration/dsl/
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1977 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
barqers wrote: Thank you for the link! Unfortunately it also shows max 6mbps. I guess there's no way to get a better line out?
Doesn't sound like it, if they are reporting the exact same thing as Bell. Your DSLAM or Remote has probably filled up or your line has gone bad, like I said before. Seems like your DSL options have gone sour for whatever reason.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15982 posts
4503 upvotes
Markham
You have to stay with Cable if you want faster
Bell is too slow in upgrading their lines
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1977 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
Keigotw wrote: You have to stay with Cable if you want faster
Bell is too slow in upgrading their lines
[OP] was saying over a year ago he was on a Bell FTTN plan 100 or 150M (whatever they offer in that part of Ottawa he is in), before making the switch to Fido Cable Internet. I'm assuming because of pricing. Then recently, when he called back to inquire about speeds and prices BELL said the highest he qualifies for is for DSL 5Mbps, no FTTN speeds. So either the DSLAM/Remote in his area has filled up to capacity with other subscribers to the Bell service or his line has gone bad somewhere between his place and the DSLAM/Remote and the computer is reporting max a attainable 5M DSL profile. [OP] was suspecting shady practices from Bell. Unless they get a tech out to physically inspect the connection we will never know why he was on a 150M plan and now its gone.