[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1000 posts
188 upvotes
BC

Potlights installation - cost and suggestions

Hi All,

We're looking to add pot lights in our living room, roughly around 8-10, and wondering how much we should expect to be charged. The ceiling isn't flat, its textured so I know we would have to get it flat. We were quoted around $2000 for the living room, and $500 for 4 spotlights in the main bedroom, with no change to the ceiling. Just wanted to get an idea if the quote we received sounds correct? We requested dimmable potlights so not sure how much of a cost difference that makes.

Thanks all!
137 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6649 posts
2720 upvotes
Mr.Potlight, $79 interior pots, and I believe it's $119 exterior.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3334 posts
2064 upvotes
Mississauga
Unless you plan to remove the popcorn anyway, I don't think it is necessary to remove it to have potlights installed. If required, installer would remove very little areas around the holes so that trim can fit flush.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6649 posts
2720 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: Unless you plan to remove the popcorn anyway, I don't think it is necessary to remove it to have potlights installed. If required, installer would remove very little areas around the holes so that trim can fit flush.
You're right, removal isn't necessary.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17768 posts
15436 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Have mr pot light coming in a few weeks. $80
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1048 posts
394 upvotes
Did a bunch this year

Vendor 1 - $40 each indoor install (I provided potlights) (got 10 done)
Vendor 2 - $60 each outdoor install (installer provided potlights) (got 25 done)

Got the costco RGB/google home ones indoor that added to the cost ($20 each).
Dimmer/Google home switch install was $30 for the outdoor potlights which I bought for $25 via amazon.

Neighbors also got his done for $40 from a different vendor, the installer did 5 houses on my street for the same price.

Regarding "Flat ceiling" we had a vendor come in scrape off all the popcorn ceiling in our family room for $500.00 - did an absolute fantastic job - I provided paint.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1000 posts
188 upvotes
BC
IndyBeak wrote: Unless you plan to remove the popcorn anyway, I don't think it is necessary to remove it to have potlights installed. If required, installer would remove very little areas around the holes so that trim can fit flush.
That's interesting. The way the contractor made it seem as if we had to get the textured ceiling flat. If we decide to keep the textured ceiling, will it look bad with 8-10 pot lights?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1000 posts
188 upvotes
BC
Cybersid wrote: Did a bunch this year

Vendor 2 - $60 each outdoor install (installer provided potlights) (got 25 done)

Dimmer/Google home switch install was $30 for the outdoor potlights which I bought for $25 via amazon.

Neighbors also got his done for $40 from a different vendor, the installer did 5 houses on my street for the same price.

Regarding "Flat ceiling" we had a vendor come in scrape off all the popcorn ceiling in our family room for $500.00 - did an absolute fantastic job - I provided paint.

Thanks for the information. This helps. Can you share the amazon ones you purchased and do you recommend them?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9457 posts
3765 upvotes
Vaughan
Cybersid wrote:

Can share the vendor who got rid of popcorn ceiling? How long does it take? Do they cover furniture and floor?
Thank.
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5884 posts
2623 upvotes
Durham
OSHAWA.

Just had 20 potlights installed a couple months back. $1900.

Four in the living/dining room on a dimmer (already have a crystal light fixture above the dining table so that area did not get potlights):

IMG_20210227_215523.jpg

Four in the sunken family room (keeping the existing 5-light tracklight in the middle) on separate dimmers:

IMG_20210228_072849.jpg

Two in the foyer ... on its original 3-way rocker switch:

IMG_20210227_185422.jpg

Four in the upstairs common area ... 2 on its original 3-way rocker switch and 2 on a single rocker switch:

IMG_20210227_185321.jpg

Six in the kitchen ... 3 on a dimmer ... 3 on a WiFi dimmer:

IMG_20210415_075710.jpg
IMG_20210415_075734.jpg
IMG_20210415_075752.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3334 posts
2064 upvotes
Mississauga
Pursuit2013 wrote: That's interesting. The way the contractor made it seem as if we had to get the textured ceiling flat. If we decide to keep the textured ceiling, will it look bad with 8-10 pot lights?
Not at all. Popcorn vs flat ceiling is essentially a matter of choice/preference. What is more important is that which lights and what color temperature you chose.
Aug 16, 2007
879 posts
91 upvotes
Richmond Hill
interested as well in this vendor that did the flat ceiling.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1048 posts
394 upvotes
Sure

It was the https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Dimmer-Sw ... B079775ZZQ smart switch

POTS (RGB/Google Home) - https://www.rona.ca/en/globe-electric-w ... -330752770

They go on sale quite often - I love being able to change my pots to cool white, blue, rainbow (lol) or classic 2700k

NOTE: If anyone wants the smooth ceiling vendor name/contact Please PM me - he services Milton/Mississauga from what I know
Nov 11, 2020
40 posts
37 upvotes
OP - your quote seems very expensive from the few that we got. We got ours done earlier this year from Quality Potlights (which came from a few reccos from other RFD members). We also had popcorn ceilings and didn't have to smooth it out as others have mentioned here as well. TBH, they look pretty flush and slim to the ceiling and we're super happy with the results. I believe we did about 20+ dimmable in total across living, dining, halways, along with a few other electrical items which worked out to be around $1900 total.
Feb 9, 2005
923 posts
224 upvotes
Hi, I'm looking recommendations for exterior pot light installation contractor/company. Currently looking at getting 20-25 in total, plus some wiring for new switches. Have quote for $60/light, $50 if more than 25. No quote on wiring. Company I've been dealing with, not very good with communication so there's a bit of hesitation on my part to actually go with them. Thanks in advance.

Oh, had Mr. Pot light do my interior 3 years back. They were good. They did leave some extra holes but overall a good experience. I got a quote from them on exterior light install, $110/light.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1048 posts
394 upvotes
All PM's responded to, dont get ripped off regarding smooth ceilings. When I was calling around contractors were taking advantage and I dislike DIY.

Potlights look fantastic on smooth ceilings IMO
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1866 posts
1101 upvotes
Cybersid wrote: Did a bunch this year

Would you be able to provide your contact for the exterior?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1048 posts
394 upvotes
bizzyseller wrote:
Would you be able to provide your contact for the exterior?
Yes of course, send me a PM please

If anyone else needs the contact let me know. DO NOT get ripped off. I am only doing this to weed out rip offs as I have been affected many times.

Absolutely sickens me how people are using covid to drive up prices.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1000 posts
188 upvotes
BC
Are textured ceiling and 'popcorn' the same thing?

Also, anyone here that can share a picture of their popcorn ceilings with potlights. We don't want to go flat/smooth unless the ceiling is going to look terrible.
Nov 3, 2009
172 posts
144 upvotes
toronto
Pursuit2013 wrote: Are textured ceiling and 'popcorn' the same thing?

Also, anyone here that can share a picture of their popcorn ceilings with potlights. We don't want to go flat/smooth unless the ceiling is going to look terrible.

The picture above in Oshawa is with popcorn potlights

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)