Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
128 posts
1 upvote
Oakville

Power bank or extra cell battery?

I'm going to st. Lucia in like a week for a wedding.

I know I will be taking pics and videos from my galaxy note 4 which take power quickly so I need an accessible battery source because most likely I will be gone all day until night or if I go back to the hotel it will be a short time which will not be enough to fully charge my phone.

So my options are a power bank or extra cell battery... what do you recommend?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
Option 3: Bring a real camera :)

Anker batteries are good quality, but the problem is when you switch your battery out, your phone will take several minutes to reboot - potentially you missing a shot.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
Outside of Option 3 above, I'd go with a power bank.
Good luck finding a decent battery for your phone. Most of the Chinese ones are horrible. "Locally" (as in available soon) are most likely going to be Chinese as well.
Official batteries are going to be like $50+

For that price I'd rather buy an Anker that works with anything.
Nov 1, 2004
678 posts
66 upvotes
York
kfletcher87 wrote: I'm going to st. Lucia in like a week for a wedding.

I know I will be taking pics and videos from my galaxy note 4 which take power quickly so I need an accessible battery source because most likely I will be gone all day until night or if I go back to the hotel it will be a short time which will not be enough to fully charge my phone.

So my options are a power bank or extra cell battery... what do you recommend?
I'd go with extra cell battery because it goes from 0% to 100% instantly and more mobile without having it connected to power bank.

I'd recommend using Amazon to buy but you may have limited options with the time constraint.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
128 posts
1 upvote
Oakville
Thought of a camera but it pricey and don't think I will use the camera often in the future

Made a good point about missing a shot when I switch the battery and rebooting

So I'm leading toward a power bank since I can charge other things with it as well... is there a specific or good brand power bank yiu guys recommend?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
kfletcher87 wrote: Thought of a camera but it pricey and don't think I will use the camera often in the future

Made a good point about missing a shot when I switch the battery and rebooting

So I'm leading toward a power bank since I can charge other things with it as well... is there a specific or good brand power bank yiu guys recommend?
A lot of phone do not even allow switching batteries
I have got a thin power bank and have it velcro to the cell when needed

https://youtu.be/LYtvXmIPxbs
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12316 posts
1867 upvotes
Kanata
danieltoronto wrote: A lot of phone do not even allow switching batteries
I have got a thin power bank and have it velcro to the cell when needed

https://youtu.be/LYtvXmIPxbs
Note 4 has removable battery

That said, I would want a better camera if I really wanted to capture the moments. It doesn't perform great in low light, which is where many pictures are taken, and especially during the reception. It will be fine if you're outdoors for pictures. Indoors and evening, it doesn't great photos, especially when the subject is moving.
Sep 14, 2011
25 posts
5 upvotes
I would go with an external battery bank. Its nice to have for travelling with your phone or other devices (tablets etc.). Note that I think some airlines have a restriction on the size of Lithium batteries you can travel with. I have a ~10,000mAh Anker unit and have never had any problems getting through security with it.

Enjoy St.Lucia! We went in March and had a fantastic time.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
128 posts
1 upvote
Oakville
goofball wrote: Note 4 has removable battery

That said, I would want a better camera if I really wanted to capture the moments. It doesn't perform great in low light, which is where many pictures are taken, and especially during the reception. It will be fine if you're outdoors for pictures. Indoors and evening, it doesn't great photos, especially when the subject is moving.
true but cameras are pricey and I don't know if it worth it for me in the future if I'm going to use the camera again. but hypothetically speaking, what camera do you recommend?
DavidW212 wrote: I would go with an external battery bank. Its nice to have for travelling with your phone or other devices (tablets etc.). Note that I think some airlines have a restriction on the size of Lithium batteries you can travel with. I have a ~10,000mAh Anker unit and have never had any problems getting through security with it.

Enjoy St.Lucia! We went in March and had a fantastic time.
Why would the airline have a problem on the size of the lithium battery? where can I find this battery?

Thanks, my family is from st. lucia... it my cousin that want to do a destination wedding so I believe over 50 people flying to st. lucia for the wedding
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12316 posts
1867 upvotes
Kanata
kfletcher87 wrote: true but cameras are pricey and I don't know if it worth it for me in the future if I'm going to use the camera again. but hypothetically speaking, what camera do you recommend?
Get something small, even a small Canon Powershot that's $150 would offer you more flexibility (zoom lens) and better picture than the Note 4.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
kfletcher87 wrote: Why would the airline have a problem on the size of the lithium battery? where can I find this battery?
Lithium is extremely dangerous.
You won't have an issue though as the limits are 100Wh (unlimited) or 160Wh (maximum 2).
So unless you're lugging one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196GQAKM/ around you won't run into these limits.
This:https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BGP2MPO is the largest power bank I can find that's not the above and even it falls WELL within the first set of limits.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
death_hawk wrote: Outside of Option 3 above, I'd go with a power bank.
Good luck finding a decent battery for your phone. Most of the Chinese ones are horrible. "Locally" (as in available soon) are most likely going to be Chinese as well.
Official batteries are going to be like $50+

For that price I'd rather buy an Anker that works with anything.
All the batteries that I've bought on Amazon were OEM, inexpensive, delivered quickly and worked great. And that's for a Note 3.

I'd have the power bank if you needed to charge your phone but turning it off would be an issue. (i.e. you need to keep it running for some reason) I like the battery because you can go from 0-100 in one step.

Personally, for a trip, I'd have both.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
TotallyKiller wrote: All the batteries that I've bought on Amazon were OEM, inexpensive, delivered quickly and worked great. And that's for a Note 3.
Really?
Last ones I bought from there were "OEM" but were obviously fakes.
Battery life was an hour at best.
Obviously this is HUGELY YMMV but my original statement still stands.
Why spend $40 on a battery for one device when you can spend $40 on a battery for many devices?
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
128 posts
1 upvote
Oakville
So far I bought the anker 10k... not purely for the trip,it would be good to have during my day to day life if I forgot to charge or something I'm doing took alot of power

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a camera and see if it beneficial for me for future uses

I always like taking pictures and thought of being a photographer for art style of pictures and sell them, not those family pics or wedding gigs... more like scenery, building, animals or close up type
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
128 posts
1 upvote
Oakville
goofball wrote: Get something small, even a small Canon Powershot that's $150 would offer you more flexibility (zoom lens) and better picture than the Note 4.
it funny you said powershot because it reminded me that I had a camera in the past which is sony cyber-shot DSC-W120. So I looked around the house for quite a while and finally found it!... now I gotta find my charger for it :S

is this camera better than my note 4?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33708 posts
7353 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
goofball wrote: Get something small, even a small Canon Powershot that's $150 would offer you more flexibility (zoom lens) and better picture than the Note 4.
Cell phone cameras have a fixed lense. They're useless for any object more than a few feet away from you

If you don't want to make the investment into a proper camera, then I suggest you borrow one

The most pathetic thing I've seen are people at weddings taking pictures with their iPads. Cell phones are a closer second to that
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
128 posts
1 upvote
Oakville
Gee wrote: Cell phone cameras have a fixed lense. They're useless for any object more than a few feet away from you

If you don't want to make the investment into a proper camera, then I suggest you borrow one

The most pathetic thing I've seen are people at weddings taking pictures with their iPads. Cell phones are a closer second to that
Make sense... on the fixed lense

I'm curious on why you said "investment" ... does that mean I'm getting money back on this ;)

lmao I remember somebody did take pics with their iPad at my sister wedding... I was a bit shocked, holding that big size iPad up

so hypothetical if I get a camera... What do you recommend for scenery, social gathering and maybe (a big maybe) taking pics of food because I'm a pastry chef, so every once in a while I do a recipe experiment
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12316 posts
1867 upvotes
Kanata
kfletcher87 wrote: it funny you said powershot because it reminded me that I had a camera in the past which is sony cyber-shot DSC-W120. So I looked around the house for quite a while and finally found it!... now I gotta find my charger for it :S

is this camera better than my note 4?
I'd say it would offer more flexibility given the optical zoom. It's hard to say a point and shoot from 8 years ago would be better than a cell phone camera.
You could even go to Shoppers Drug Mart and find a camera there on clearance that would be better than the Note 4, imo.
Do you not have any friends that you could borrow a camera from? It's a wedding, it's a one-shot deal (or supposed to be anyways), so you should either try to put the effort to get good pictures or don't bother with the cell phone. The note 4 camera would be horrible for a wedding, imo, and I wouldn't even bother unless you were only taking pictures of the food you were going to eat.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
128 posts
1 upvote
Oakville
goofball wrote: I'd say it would offer more flexibility given the optical zoom. It's hard to say a point and shoot from 8 years ago would be better than a cell phone camera.
You could even go to Shoppers Drug Mart and find a camera there on clearance that would be better than the Note 4, imo.
Do you not have any friends that you could borrow a camera from? It's a wedding, it's a one-shot deal (or supposed to be anyways), so you should either try to put the effort to get good pictures or don't bother with the cell phone. The note 4 camera would be horrible for a wedding, imo, and I wouldn't even bother unless you were only taking pictures of the food you were going to eat.
I can't ask a friend to borrow a camera, I don't want anything to happen to it ... I'm not using the camera for a day or two... I will be in another country for 2 weeks
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12316 posts
1867 upvotes
Kanata
kfletcher87 wrote: I can't ask a friend to borrow a camera, I don't want anything to happen to it ... I'm not using the camera for a day or two... I will be in another country for 2 weeks
That's no big deal, I've lent DSLR lenses and camera's to friends who have gone overseas for a month or longer. All you need to ensure is you take care of it. Some people won't even notice the camera is gone, in all honesty, given how many people just use their cellphones nowadays. I'm sure you could find a friend who has a fairly recent camera that wouldn't notice it gone for 2 weeks?