Home & Garden

Power tool combo kit - which?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 10:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish

Power tool combo kit - which?

I bought this:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001411527

Due to a few issues I am replacing it with support from home Depot with different brand.

I believe these were my main options:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1000837744
And
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1000731030

I went with the ridgid, although I already have a ridgid brushless 7-1/4 one. LSA and existing battery and seems I'm more likely to buy more ridgid than Milwaukee?

Is there another brand, or combo kit around that price range I should have pushed for? I still have other Ryobi tools and batteries, and the ridgid circular saw mentioned earlier. Not that the Ryobi was, but a bit surprised the ridgid kit isn't brushless. If keeping that ridgid kit, will probably just try selling the circular saw. The other concern with the Milwaukee was now getting into THREE battery systems which for my hobby+DIY usage seems overkill and hassle
13 replies
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2019
966 posts
710 upvotes
Rigid was my first tool/combo kit iirc. It was a good kit, generally not too many complaints. This said, I no longer have any rigid tools in my kit.

I generally recommend dewalt to most people starting out. The price point is right, everyone carries it, tons of sales, tons of price matching, available everywhere, etc etc. Also, you can start and only get a few tools, or you can expand into a lot of trades.

Generally speaking, and I think most people generally have this view point, is that Milwaukee is generally better than dewalt. This said, they are sold at less places, the sales aren't as good, and you're generally going to pay more for functionally the same tool.

So all in all, I would recommend Dewalt, because I would forsee it having more longevity depending on which way you take your hobby, but this said, rigid is perfectly fine for doing a lot of things, and milwaukee is great too, but you're going to have to work harder to find deals and products.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Rigid was my first tool/combo kit iirc. It was a good kit, generally not too many complaints. This said, I no longer have any rigid tools in my kit.

I generally recommend dewalt to most people starting out. The price point is right, everyone carries it, tons of sales, tons of price matching, available everywhere, etc etc. Also, you can start and only get a few tools, or you can expand into a lot of trades.

Generally speaking, and I think most people generally have this view point, is that Milwaukee is generally better than dewalt. This said, they are sold at less places, the sales aren't as good, and you're generally going to pay more for functionally the same tool.

So all in all, I would recommend Dewalt, because I would forsee it having more longevity depending on which way you take your hobby, but this said, rigid is perfectly fine for doing a lot of things, and milwaukee is great too, but you're going to have to work harder to find deals and products.
Hmm yeah, makes sense.

They did initially mention ridgid or milwaukee - I'm assuming as they're basically exclusive to home depot they've got greater price flexibility.

As someone who is not using their tools anything close to daily, the ridgid LSA sounded quite appealing, especially as it includes batteries!

Ryobi felt like a mistake, pretty quickly regretted it and things didn't feel so great or powerful. The ridgid kit seems quite a bit heavier - but that also seems a common knock against ridgid? They're unnecessarily bulky and heavy :(

When it comes to the kits there's so much extra variation too. Argh
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
Drthorne wrote: I would recommend the Dewalt Atomic line for home use. Nice, compact and powerful. Lots of different tools to add. Home Depot, Lowes, cTire, Amazon has good deals on Dewalt 20volt tools and extra batteries

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt ... 1001540101
That kit seems out of stock and unable to ship. Discontinued? Not sure there are comparable $500-600 kits in stock at home depot. Hmmmm
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2019
966 posts
710 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Hmm yeah, makes sense.

They did initially mention ridgid or milwaukee - I'm assuming as they're basically exclusive to home depot they've got greater price flexibility.

As someone who is not using their tools anything close to daily, the ridgid LSA sounded quite appealing, especially as it includes batteries!

Ryobi felt like a mistake, pretty quickly regretted it and things didn't feel so great or powerful. The ridgid kit seems quite a bit heavier - but that also seems a common knock against ridgid? They're unnecessarily bulky and heavy :(

When it comes to the kits there's so much extra variation too. Argh
Rigid is only HD, Milwaukee is a lot of places, but still a bit more limited compared to some other brands.

The LSA seems like a good deal, but in actuality does not seem to turn out so well for most people I've talked too.

Ryobi is fine for most DIYers and you can do a lot of projects with just Ryobi tools. You generally have to pay attention to each specific tool as opposed to just the brand. Dewalt/Milwaukee have a pretty large offering of products. So there are low end kits and higher end kits, so just need to do a bit of research into what you're buying. This said, stuff thats a generation or two old and can be had at a good discount and share a battery platform with their best stuff would be a great starting point.

Ultimately, as Ive said before, you need to figure out what projects you're doing now, and what brand offering suits that, and then pay some attention into what you think you see yourself doing later on.

The good thing about most decent tools is they retain their value. Over xmas I cleaned my shop and sold a number of tools. With the sale prices I paid for them I was almost breaking even for what I paid for them 2-3 years ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4585 posts
4650 upvotes
Vancouver
I would agree with all the comments here about the various brands. Personally I have Milwaukee and Ridgid. Milwaukee definitely feels like the best, and if I were to start over, I would probably go all Milwaukee. It's true that only HD of the major hardware stores sells Milwaukee, but they do have good sales, and there are lots of reliable online sellers who offer free shipping and price-matching options.

But it's hard to ignore the extra value of the Ridgid LSA for batteries. Batteries for other brands are expensive, and are going to add up to a lot of money over the years. Not to mention that I got fantastic sale prices from HD on the Ridgid tools I bought - around 75% off.

DeWalt is sold at more places, but the caution with DeWalt is that they make a range of different qualities. The cheapest DeWalt tools widely sold at a discount are not the best quality.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4994 posts
1377 upvotes
Kitchener
Kaitlyn wrote: That kit seems out of stock and unable to ship. Discontinued? Not sure there are comparable $500-600 kits in stock at home depot. Hmmmm
The Atomic line is relativity new Kitchener Home Depot has 10 in stock

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=hd&sku=1001540101

If you need a circular saw this one is good. I have it and use it more than my 7-1/4 and 6-1/2 cordless saws

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt ... 1001341837
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
I have a mixture of tools from different brands throughout the years.

Cordless:
Dewalt (2) - Drill ; Impact Driver
Ryobi (3) - Inflator/Deflator ; 5" Orbital Sander ; LED Light

Corded:
Mastercraft (3) - Impact Wrench ; Reciprocating Saw ; 7-1/4" Circular Saw
Haussman (1) - 1/4 Sheet Sander
Jobmate (1) - Jigsaw
Ryobi (1) - Grinder
Dremel Tool
10" Sliding Mitre Saw (forgot brand)
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
So I'm having some buyer confusion/(remorse?)... I bought this kit:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1000837744

I got it for $300.

Saw the box for the 4pc kit today, indeed at $179 in-store with yellow clearance stickers down from $299:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001559852

Now I already have a Ridgid Octane (w/ 5aH battery) saw, so I'm looking to sell the kit saw... maybe for $100ish? Making the kit basically $200ish with bonus battery saw + recip saw. But by far the drill/driver would be used the most by me. It has hammer drill but I'm thinking I'll borderline NEVER use this. It seems it's an older model, with the "original" chuck-lights vs LED near the battery base.

The brushless specs seem better, more compact, and while "value wise" it's less, the 2ah batteries on the brushless smaller brushless drill/driver would make for a lighter/more compact overall usage.

Should I totally keep the bigger kit I got for $300, or consider swapping out to this $179 kit? At non-sale pricing, I see the recip saw can be had for $170, and it's the octane version...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
3684 posts
2644 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Kaitlyn wrote: So I'm having some buyer confusion/(remorse?)... I bought this kit:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1000837744

I got it for $300.

Saw the box for the 4pc kit today, indeed at $179 in-store with yellow clearance stickers down from $299:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001559852

Now I already have a Ridgid Octane (w/ 5aH battery) saw, so I'm looking to sell the kit saw... maybe for $100ish? Making the kit basically $200ish with bonus battery saw + recip saw. But by far the drill/driver would be used the most by me. It has hammer drill but I'm thinking I'll borderline NEVER use this. It seems it's an older model, with the "original" chuck-lights vs LED near the battery base.

The brushless specs seem better, more compact, and while "value wise" it's less, the 2ah batteries on the brushless smaller brushless drill/driver would make for a lighter/more compact overall usage.

Should I totally keep the bigger kit I got for $300, or consider swapping out to this $179 kit? At non-sale pricing, I see the recip saw can be had for $170, and it's the octane version...
Buy a Ridgid drill driver/impact kit, preferably with the hammer drill. Then buy bare tools as you need them. There have been Ridgid seasonal deals where you buy a tool with battery and charger and get a free tool. There was a lengthy thread somewhere on this forum.

The flashlights and vacuums are useless filler IMHO. I have a flashlight that I can't recall ever using.

Frankly, you'd be better to buy corded tools, especially saws. I know it's in vogue to go 100% battery, but this is largely driven by tool companies who keep "innovating" to keep you buying newer and "better" tools. I can use a corded circular saw from 1980 that will cut just as good a 2021 corded circular saw. I doubt a battery powered tool will still be functional forty years from now. (To be fair, Ridgid has made their 18V tools backwards compatible).

The problem is, once you reach "peak innovation" on a tool such as a circular saw, the only way to grab market share is to compete on price. We all know what happens to quality when that happens. I digress.

I use my tools for work, and have corded and cordless in most configurations. I will always go for my corded saws because I don't have to worry about battery charges or being underpowered for a particular job. My corded Milwaulkee recip saw will chew through anything, nonstop, as long as the blade is good.

I know you are paranoid about cutting the cord, but you'll get used to it. Worse that will happen is you'll cut it in half. Everyone does it eventually. The upshot is, it makes you more aware of your surroundings.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
4449 posts
1774 upvotes
GTA
Keep the bigger kit, you can sell the saw for $80 easy. And since you also have a 5ah battery you can sell the 4ah one for another $50, basically matching the price of the cheaper kit. The hammer drill will come in handy when you need it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
shabby wrote: Keep the bigger kit, you can sell the saw for $80 easy. And since you also have a 5ah battery you can sell the 4ah one for another $50, basically matching the price of the cheaper kit. The hammer drill will come in handy when you need it.
Here I was trying to sell the saw for $125 haha

Thanks for the reassurance though. I feel like I definitely got/am hung up on the whole brush vs brushless bit
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
4449 posts
1774 upvotes
GTA
Kaitlyn wrote:
Here I was trying to sell the saw for $125 haha

Thanks for the reassurance though. I feel like I definitely got/am hung up on the whole brush vs brushless bit
I sold a bunch of those saws on Kijiji, you get lowballed down to $40, i suggested the Fisher Price saws to them from toys'r'us.
I usually sold them between 80-90.

Top