• Jul 22nd, 2020 1:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1977 posts
342 upvotes
Mississauga

Power transmission lines Mississauga

Was looking at a property on Dixie/Rathburn/Eastgate pkwy area and realized it's about 220m from power transmission corridor that runs along Eastgate pkwy. Not in direct line of sight as there are is another 2 rows of houses closer to it, but can still see it if you look at the right angle.
Concerned about magnetic field. Are these 230 kV power lines ? Tried to measure the magnetic fields but don't think the results are reliable to make a conclusion. Was getting 0.5 mG on the street closest to the wires but between 6-12 mG on the street where the house is. Still around 0.6 mG around the house itself.
Images
  • eastgate pkwy.JPG
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5072 posts
1036 upvotes
Burlington
No clue but was looking at a house beginning of this year with a ravine that had high voltage lines running through it. Absolutely loved the home but since we are thinking of having kids soon I didn't want to buy it. I imagine it also affects resale value/buyers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9133 posts
5018 upvotes
There was another thread on here a while back discussing the pros and cons of power lines. May help shed some light.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4490 posts
1704 upvotes
GTA
I wouldn't do it unless the house was absolutely perfect in every other way, and even then, only if the pricing was adjusted due to the proximity. When/if you decide to sell down the road you'll presumably get less than if the house was situated away from a hydro corridor. The health risks would also keep me away.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1977 posts
342 upvotes
Mississauga
The_Professor wrote: I wouldn't do it unless the house was absolutely perfect in every other way, and even then, only if the pricing was adjusted due to the proximity. When/if you decide to sell down the road you'll presumably get less than if the house was situated away from a hydro corridor. The health risks would also keep me away.
Even if the gauss meter showed Magnetic field of normal range, between 0.5 mG and 0.9 mG in the house/property ? Are there other potential risks ?
On a side note, I've measured magnetic field in houses that were not anywhere close to power transmission wires, and majority of the readings were way above 2 mG, in the GTA. I understand that there are other factors, such as local distribution power wires, wires under ground, transformer boxes in the area and appliances.
The question is, are there other potential health risks even if MF/EF are in the normal range ?
May 12, 2003
371 posts
245 upvotes
GTA
My in laws home, in Mississauga, had power lines literally right next to the backyard.

When we sold, we had 22 offers, and were similar to other sold home prices

I don't think it impacts any type of resale value whatsoever.

Health wise, they were there for 20+ yrs, raised kids and I don't see any issue with my wife (unless nagging me is a side effect).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)