Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

Power vent GSW B5531 50-Gallon Short N Gas Water Heater $798.15 enter promo save15

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2022 3:25 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham

[Lowe's] Power vent GSW B5531 50-Gallon Short N Gas Water Heater $798.15 enter promo save15

Heads up, it's about the same price again $798.15 at Lowe's with the save15 promo code at checkout running this week

Showing $939 but add code for 15% off for purchases over $400

https://www.lowes.ca/water-heaters/g..._10932456.html EARN CASH BACK

GCR 2%
Ebates 1.5%

Was on sale for 799 earlier this month and sometimes as low as $759 but by that time rolls around, you have paid more than difference in rental.

My power vent is $30 approx with tax renting per month
69 replies
Jan 12, 2013
18 posts
3 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Does anyone know if the 15% also applies to installation? I bought one during the last sale and I'm wondering if I could do a price adjustment for that
Oct 17, 2015
418 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a Defender water tank and I pay 16.99 per month for rent with enercare
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
SartajA735 wrote: I have a Defender water tank and I pay 16.99 per month for rent with enercare

You'll find no sympathy on RFD. In 5 years you'll have paid out ~$1,000, you could have owned this tank and then some.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Dec 13, 2003
526 posts
436 upvotes
Just curious if anyone can or is willing to offer some advice.....
I (stupidly) signed a contract with National Home Service in 2012 (now Reliance) for the rental of a new water heater.
I was paying a discounted rate for the first year and now my rate is $31.93 (including HST) for my water heater.
Today I called to inquire about termination and was informed termination will cost $1072.50 + HST + labor costs for them to remove.
To outright purchase the unit, it would cost me $1604.08 + HST.
I feel like I have no choice but continue renting and then after 5 years of service cancel for $472.50 + HST.
Feeling SCREWED....
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2258 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto West
kups wrote: Just curious if anyone can or is willing to offer some advice.....
I (stupidly) signed a contract with National Home Service in 2012 (now Reliance) for the rental of a new water heater.
I was paying a discounted rate for the first year and now my rate is $31.93 (including HST) for my water heater.
Today I called to inquire about termination and was informed termination will cost $1072.50 + HST + labor costs for them to remove.
To outright purchase the unit, it would cost me $1604.08 + HST.
I feel like I have no choice but continue renting and then after 5 years of service cancel for $472.50 + HST.
Feeling SCREWED....
Ya thats pretty recent. You can get the price down a bit by lugging the hot water tank to their depo but since its new from 2012 the price will still be high. Like paying the depreciation on a new car
Feedback - Hofo--Heatware--RedFlag[/B]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6381 posts
1740 upvotes
kups wrote: I feel like I have no choice but continue renting and then after 5 years of service cancel for $472.50 + HST.
Feeling SCREWED....
Are you sure? $31.93* 60mth = 1915, and then tax on top. You may as well man up and pay those "fine folks" now. btw. what tank do you have right now?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
dunno why it's under expired when it's one more day to go on the lowe's promo
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3746 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
can you install these yourself ?

How much is the installation from Lowes ?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
pumpkinpies wrote: can you install these yourself ?

I'm gonna find out today but I remember reading on the website $199 for installation but that might only be electric.

Base on another thread, you need a certified gas fitter for at least one part of the installation for it be legal and stay within warranty. If I recall correctly though, I think it was close to 1300 all in with installation.
For me the breakeven is 43 months at $30/mth or 33 months if I compare to the buyout price I got from Enercare for 12 year old unit. Considering that it's warrantied for 6 years and the current one installed still going strong after 12 years but who knows when it'll give up the ghost. It seems to be a prudent investment.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
Standard installation fee from Lowes is $325. This is just to install and take old one out. It's not including the exhaust pipe to code from black to white. Just bought one in store and get my plumber to install it. I also purchased the 6-years warranty from Lowes for $20.
pumpkinpies wrote: can you install these yourself ?

Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2569 posts
1818 upvotes
Waterloo
I have to replace my water heater and have been considering buying this... I'm in the City of Kitchener and our natural gas / water heaters all run through the City of Kitchener (municipally-owned utility), rather than Direct Energy or Union Gas.

To purchase the water heater outright, I'm looking at $798 (water heater) + $325 (installation) + $75 (delivery) + $135 (exhaust retrofit to code) = $1333 total cost plus tax

Whereas, the rental rate for the same water heater (50 gallon power vent) through the City of Kitchener is $21.37/month plus tax and they are subsidizing/covering the retrofit.

Breakeven (not considering present value of the upfront payment for outright purchase) would be 62-63 months. Given that, I think it makes sense to rent again given that the utility would cover any service/repairs on the water heater, but for most people where they are renting the water heater from a 3rd party, outright purchase makes a lot of sense.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
cadave wrote: I have to replace my water heater and have been considering buying this... I'm in the City of Kitchener and our natural gas / water heaters all run through the City of Kitchener (municipally-owned utility), rather than Direct Energy or Union Gas.

To purchase the water heater outright, I'm looking at $798 (water heater) + $325 (installation) + $75 (delivery) + $135 (exhaust retrofit to code) = $1333 total cost plus tax

Whereas, the rental rate for the same water heater (50 gallon power vent) through the City of Kitchener is $21.37/month plus tax and they are subsidizing/covering the retrofit.

Breakeven (not considering present value of the upfront payment for outright purchase) would be 62-63 months. Given that, I think it makes sense to rent again given that the utility would cover any service/repairs on the water heater, but for most people where they are renting the water heater from a 3rd party, outright purchase makes a lot of sense.
For you it breaks even still under warranty and pretty damn sure it'll run at least a few more years without issue and even if it only runs just the length of the warranty you are still ahead. You have a subsidized rate too.

There's store pick up available as well for those who want to save $75 and have the right vehicle
Oct 5, 2015
56 posts
37 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
evoviii wrote: For you it breaks even still under warranty and pretty damn sure it'll run at least a few more years without issue and even if it only runs just the length of the warranty you are still ahead. You have a subsidized rate too.

There's store pick up available as well for those who want to save $75 and have the right vehicle
Another option is to rent out the Lowe's cargo van (mine was $20 +tax for 90min with $8 for gas). Had them help me load it up and I brought it to my builder. Unloaded it with the help of the installer, who was on-site. Had tank installed.

Big smiles now that I'm avoiding a wallet specific physical assault rental plan imposed by Reliance (in cahoots with many builders) on new homes.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote: Standard installation fee from Lowes is $325. This is just to install and take old one out. It's not including the exhaust pipe to code from black to white. Just bought one in store and get my plumber to install it. I also purchased the 6-years warranty from Lowes for $20.
Does anyone know if the $325 install fee can be tacked onto the tank purchase price and eligible for the 15% off promo? Unfortunately, there's no option to add installation in the online checkout.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
Most likely not. That is fee for service, not a product. That service will be done down the road after inspection. I bought it in store along with the warranty, I only got the discount on the tank.
Repooc wrote: Does anyone know if the $325 install fee can be tacked onto the tank purchase price and eligible for the 15% off promo? Unfortunately, there's no option to add installation in the online checkout.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2569 posts
1818 upvotes
Waterloo
evoviii wrote: For you it breaks even still under warranty and pretty damn sure it'll run at least a few more years without issue and even if it only runs just the length of the warranty you are still ahead. You have a subsidized rate too.

Definitely thought about the points you mentioned, but I'm also in Kitchener where the water is very hard and a lot of people have water softeners which wreaks havoc on hot water tanks. Erring on the side of caution here given how close the calculation is. I also know that the City of Kitchener actually has reasonable buyout quotes unlike the ones that Enercare/Direct Energy give out, so I can consider a buyout later on.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
This looks to be regular sale price, no?

So, no harm in waiting a month for the next one since they seem to happen so frequently?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6381 posts
1740 upvotes
Repooc wrote: This looks to be regular sale price, no?

So, no harm in waiting a month for the next one since they seem to happen so frequently?
Their regular price is 949 online, 899 in-store.

They put it on sale ever so often. Even if not on sale, their tax-free weekend and midnight special will make it a good deal. whatever you buy, just stay away from Rheem's Power vented, the one currently at home depot.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
tomtomtom wrote: Their regular price is 949 online, 899 in-store.

They put it on sale ever so often. Even if not on sale, their tax-free weekend and midnight special will make it a good deal. whatever you buy, just stay away from Rheem's Power vented, the one currently at home depot.
a bit OT.... but can you please elaborate, why? The home I'm moving into actually has a Rheem Power Vented rental from Reliance, that I'm looking to take out IMMEDIATELY and replace with this GSW as soon as I get the keys

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)