Computers & Electronics

Powerline Adaptor software, is it interchangable?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2015 12:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7454 posts
2385 upvotes
0 downvotes

Powerline Adaptor software, is it interchangable?

I recently bought a pair of Powerline ethernet devices because I was not able to run a RJ45 cable from the device to my Modem. I plug these into my Hydro outlet and can connect them to my internet. The devices came with a Mini CD-rom disc witch contains the instructions manual and some so called powerline software utility but the problem is my cd-rom drive is like the one in a car you slide the disk in and it does not read mini Cd-roms. Can I just download any generic powerline software utilities? The chineese sales guy at the store said I can mix and match them with other brands, they all work on the same platform. so since they work together, that should mean I can use any software right?
5 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
Try it out?

Doesn't the manufacturer have the files on their website? Even cheap generic Chinese manufacturers tend to host drivers/softwares on their website.
Dec 21, 2009
322 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think you need the software at all. It is just for utility. I have 4 powerline working at my house without any software and 2 of them is different model but all same brand.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
All the powerline ethernet adapters use chips from just a couple of manufacturers, so it's possible that there might be some software compatibility within the same generation - but I can tell you for sure that my Trendnet utility doesn't see my Belkin adapters and vice-versa (different generations though).

The utility software has two purposes:

1. Shows you the connection speed so that you can find the best power outlets to achieve the desired throughput. This is important because different outlets in the same room can vary by a factor of 10x.

2. Lets you set the access code on the adapters. If you buy a matched pair, they will come pre-set to the same code, but if you buy more separately, you will need to set them.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
JamesA1 wrote: All the powerline ethernet adapters use chips from just a couple of manufacturers, so it's possible that there might be some software compatibility within the same generation - but I can tell you for sure that my Trendnet utility doesn't see my Belkin adapters and vice-versa (different generations though).

The utility software has two purposes:

1. Shows you the connection speed so that you can find the best power outlets to achieve the desired throughput. This is important because different outlets in the same room can vary by a factor of 10x.

2. Lets you set the access code on the adapters. If you buy a matched pair, they will come pre-set to the same code, but if you buy more separately, you will need to set them.
That's good to know. Like wasape I never installed any software and mine worked right out of the box. That being said, I always wondered what controls could prevent a 3rd-party who knows PL Adapters are being used from just plugging a compatible one into any external outlet and jacking into someone's connection. I didn't see how they could be authenticated. I'll be looking at this when I get home. Cheers.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
All of the powerline adapters that I've used have had a pairing mode invoked by holding in a button on one until an indicator light starts flashing and then doing the same on other adapters within a couple of minutes to get them all paired with a new random key, or you can use the software, but the software that I've used has been pretty buggy.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)