• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 8:28 am
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
549 posts
450 upvotes
Mississauga

Pre built Desktop options

My 15 year old has saved up enough dough and wants a pre built PC. Between Bestbuy and Canada Computers, are the Canada Computer pre built options (Armoury, Apex, Skytech) better than say the HP Omen, Acer Nitro/Predator, Asus ROG?

Budget is $1200-$1500. I understand that is the entry pricing for these systems

thanks
7 replies
Dec 6, 2020
559 posts
556 upvotes
Canada Computers and Best Buy are best avoided due to poor return policies and worse customer service.

What does your 15 year old want to do with their computer? Do they want a gaming rig or something for general web/email/video calling/schoolwork?

$1500 is on the low end for a gaming rig and the brands you listed are not good choices for general use computers.

If they want a general purpose computer, get an Optiplex or ThinkCenter. If they want a gaming rig, they'll need to save more money.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1398 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I went with Canada Computers, despite people advising against it, and I'll explain why.

Their Armoury range of pre-builts is completely custom built from off the shelf components. Everything is standard, brand name and interchangeable. Their customer service and return policy might be shit, but at least you have proper and non proprietary components. Their builds are pretty solid and balanced too (the components put together and configurations make sense) and prices are reasonable, often either cheaper or within the same price range as other system integrators. I bought an Armoury pre-built from CC a couple of months ago, and couldn't be happier. It's absolutely awesome.

So it depends what you're looking for, really. You want peace of mind with a full blown return policy and in-home warranty service, and don't mind proprietary, non reparable and sometimes low quality OEM components, then go with a big name PC builder like Dell/Alienware, HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc. If you want something with more standard components but still with a decent customer service, go with a system integrator like Cyberpower, ibuypower, NZXT, Skytech, Maingear or Origins (some of those are based out of the US).

If you want something custom and don't mind a sub-par customer service where you'll have to deal with each part supplier for warranty, you can go to Canada Computers or Memory Express.
Last edited by Niklasky on May 28th, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2272 posts
120 upvotes
Not available now.

I advise the OP to go to the source - Cyberpowerpc website. Do the currency conversion and calculate the import fees. I think the $1500 builds with those costs added are still better deals than newegg, Dell or CC prebuilts. Many of those in Canada are now oos and customers are left with overpriced inferior parts (i.e. lesser cpus, gpus etc.).
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1398 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
teleguitar wrote: Not available now.

I advise the OP to go to the source - Cyberpowerpc website. Do the currency conversion and calculate the import fees. I think the $1500 builds with those costs added are still better deals than newegg, Dell or CC prebuilts. Many of those in Canada are now oos and customers are left with overpriced inferior parts (i.e. lesser cpus, gpus etc.).
Yes, going directly to the source and ordering direct from the likes of Cyberpower, ibuypower, Origin, Maingear, NZXT allows you to configure the pre-built just like you like it, with the right components. If the price is right once you factor in the USD-CAD conversion and the import fees, that's the way to go. You may have to wait longer to get delivery though.